ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Bottom 25 Champions again

Again, based on a what if scenario.

Sterlin Gilbert was allegedly a candidate for the job. He doesn’t have a 0-11 and now a 1-11 record as head coach on his resume. Would you say Dimel is better than him?
I can’t say until he coaches an FBS teams and we see his results. Like I mentioned with the RICE hire the entire fan base and a lot of CUSA fans said it was a solid hire. After one year Dimel and him both have one FBS win. For every successful assistant that gets hired there are two that never succeeded.

If you were AD, would you have hired Dimel or any other coach that has an 0-11 season previously over Gilbert?
If the option was a coach with 0 hc experience or a coach that had won 30 games at the FBS level I would go with the experienced coach. Throw in the fact that he was Snyder’s right hand man that helped rebuild a program that was burned to ashes and turned them into B12 and bowl champions the answer becomes more obvious.

He also has a losing record and went 8-26 at his previous stop.

All HCs got their start somewhere. Saban, Bellichek, Urban, Dabo all started as assistants and some school had to roll the dice on them, rather then hire a coach who went 8-26 at their last stop.

Thanks for contributing to mediocrity and not even considering facts, but using orange blinders. How’s that worked out for UTEP the last 10 years?

Reactions: Realm-Fx

All HCs got their start somewhere. Saban, Bellichek, Urban, Dabo all started as assistants and some school had to roll the dice on them, rather then hire a coach who went 8-26 at their last stop.

Thanks for contributing to mediocrity and not even considering facts, but using orange blinders. How’s that worked out for UTEP the last 10 years?
Well the last two times we went with assistants they combined for 32-70 in nine years. That hasn’t worked out too well either.

You have to wonder though how often coaching hires are made based on protecting one's own job. For example Senter, coming in as a new AD, may have wanted to lean more towards the hiring of a coach with some FBS experience and wins under his belt as opposed to an assistant with no head coaching experience to cover himself. As a new athletic director, it may be easier to defend the decision should it result in no success on the field. Had he hired a totally unproven candidate, the level of criticism may be higher on the new AD as it may be viewed that he does not know what he is doing. But look, I get what both of you guys are saying and they're both valid opinions.

Again, based on a what if scenario.

Sterlin Gilbert was allegedly a candidate for the job. He doesn’t have a 0-11 and now a 1-11 record as head coach on his resume. Would you say Dimel is better than him?

So you have a hard on for Gilbert, good for you. Senter decided it was best to go with Dimel. I think what Senter is shooting for at UTEP is 5-8 wins a year on a consistent basis. Senter isn’t looking for a 10-2 season, one and done. And given where the program is, I’ll take 10 years of 5-8 wins over 1 year at 10-2 and then having to start all over again.

Last edited:
You have to wonder though how often coaching hires are made based on protecting one's own job. For example Senter, coming in as a new AD, may have wanted to lean more towards the hiring of a coach with some FBS experience and wins under his belt as opposed to an assistant with no head coaching experience to cover himself. As a new athletic director, it may be easier to defend the decision should it result in no success on the field. Had he hired a totally unproven candidate, the level of criticism may be higher on the new AD as it may be viewed that he does not know what he is doing. But look, I get what both of you guys are saying and they're both valid opinions.

I think Natalicio had a say. They wanted an experienced AD and HC after the Kugler experiment.

When asked about the football and basketball coaches hires, Senter said he ranked candidates with prior head coaching experience higher than those without. Taking this statement at face value, he was successful in meeting this criteria with both Dimel and Terry.

Well the last two times we went with assistants they combined for 32-70 in nine years. That hasn’t worked out too well either.

Those are fair data points. At least we know that Nord and Kugler are not good college head coaches. For every Saban there’s a Nord. It’s just too bad UTEP was the school to find that out.

Reactions: JCorona
So you have a hard on for Gilbert, good for you. Senter decided it was best to go with Dimel. I think what Senter is shooting for at UTEP is 5-8 wins a year over a consistent basis. Senter isn’t looking for a 10-2 season, one and done. And given where the program is, I’ll take 10 years of 5-8 wins over 1 year at 10-2 and then having to start all over again.

I don’t have a “hard on” for Gilbert, just he is the only other candidate I remember hearing about. Replace him with any OC or DC and I would feel the same way.

So basically it’s better to have so-so years, then start over after success? That’s stupid. That’s the argument Floyd defenders used for years.

Reactions: Realm-Fx

Dang Hboy 95 Old lady Nags really screwed up when she didn’t hire you for the AD job. We would be facing Bama this week, and already have our ticket to the dance!!

I don’t have a “hard on” for Gilbert, just he is the only other candidate I remember hearing about. Replace him with any OC or DC and I would feel the same way.

So basically it’s better to have so-so years, then start over after success? That’s stupid. That’s the argument Floyd defenders used for years.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT