ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football December signing day

I believe TJ is sticking around. He will be playing next year for sure along with Hardison. Dimel knows TJ is very talented and is the future of this program. I’m little surprised his brother did not sign today, but I understand many kids will wait till next year to see other offers. Hopefully we’ll get him in February.

I think UTEP is doing the right thing in bringing in some JUCOs to plug in holes. It’s good to see that many of our signees are from Texas. Only time will tell if these recruits will help turn things around.

Reactions: minerfan_14
So after listening to the Dimel Presser, I think it's "possible" that Goodwin and Johnson both signed(or technically are still committed), but are being blue shirted, so that's why they weren't announced today. In mentioning the Blue Shirts, Dimel said that we have: 2 OL, 1 TE, 1 LB, and 2 WR's committed to us. The following would explain these:

2 OL: Henry and Escobar(although Dimel said that they just got a new O-Line commitment 15 minutes before the press conference, so unless he is talking about Henry, then there might be 1 more OL out there).

1 TE: ?

1 LB: Liggins.

2 WR: Goodwin? and Johnson?

Dimel stated that we are waiting on 1 more JC LB, which would finish this signing period. It sounded like he is high on this LB. That would end our class for this signing period and would mean that we got everyone that we expected to sign(then the blue shirts were already expected to count for at least 4 of the 16), so that makes sense and maybe the Goodwin and Johnson situation is not as dire as first thought.

As for the transfer portal, Dimel said that 1 player has already asked to come back, then he states that some of our players leaving were not asked to come back(which is why they entered the portal), and he mentioned that some might have a hard time finding a new home(apparently there is over 2,000 in the transfer portal, but only about 200 scholarships currently available).

Last edited:
So after listening to the Dimel Presser, I think it's "possible" that Goodwin and Johnson both signed(or technically are still committed), but are being blue shirted, so that's why they weren't announced today. In mentioning the Blue Shirts, Dimel said that we have: 2 OL, 1 TE, 1 LB, and 2 WR's committed to us. The following would explain these:

2 OL: Henry and Escobar(although Dimel said that they just got a new O-Line commitment 15 minutes before the press conference, so unless he is talking about Henry, then there might be 1 more OL out there).

Dimel stated that we are waiting on 1 more JC LB, which would finish this signing period. It sounded like he is high on this LB. That would end our class for this signing period and would mean that we got everyone that we expected to sign(then the blue shirts were already expected to count for at least 4 of the 16), so that makes sense and maybe the Goodwin and Johnson situation is not as dire as first thought.

As for the transfer portal, Dimel said that 1 player has already asked to come back, the he states that some of our players leaving were not asked to come back(which is why they entered the portal), and he mentioned that some might have a hard time finding a new home(apparently there is over 2,000 in the transfer portal, but only about 200 scholarships currently available).
I saw T Wolf was signing with UIW, so he is gone.

As for the transfer portal, Dimel said that 1 player has already asked to come back, the he states that some of our players leaving were not asked to come back(which is why they entered the portal), and he mentioned that some might have a hard time finding a new home(apparently there is over 2,000 in the transfer portal, but only about 200 scholarships currently available).

Thanks for rounding up all that info.

Couple of questions you probably know the answer to.
1. I thought we were recruiting Goodwin as a DB but you indicate he might be coming as a WR. He played both in hs but do you know how we are planning to use him?
2. The transfer situation is confusing. I did see that Wolf signed with UIW but my question is, since a school is only allowed to recruit 25 scholarship players per year, what happens if you graduate 25 players and then lose another 10 to transfer? Are you just stuck with that negative number?

Interesting signees. Willie Eldrige and Khalil Warfield. Both listed as athletes but both ran some read-option. Warfield looks like a competent passer as well.

As for the transfer portal, Dimel said that 1 player has already asked to come back, then he states that some of our players leaving were not asked to come back(which is why they entered the portal), and he mentioned that some might have a hard time finding a new home(apparently there is over 2,000 in the transfer portal, but only about 200 scholarships currently available).

Thanks for that info defense. I hope you are right because I am excited about those players.

Interesting signees. Willie Eldrige and Khalil Warfield. Both listed as athletes but both ran some read-option. Warfield looks like a competent passer as well.

I watched warfield play twice this season. Great athlete, carried his Antonion team to multiple victory’s. He is going to have to develop as a passer if they plan on keeping him at QB. Just my opinion.

1. I thought we were recruiting Goodwin as a DB but you indicate he might be coming as a WR. He played both in hs but do you know how we are planning to use him?
2. The transfer situation is confusing. I did see that Wolf signed with UIW but my question is, since a school is only allowed to recruit 25 scholarship players per year, what happens if you graduate 25 players and then lose another 10 to transfer? Are you just stuck with that negative number?

1. I have the same question.

2. Yes, you dont have a full team. Dimel talked about that the spring of 2018 he didnt have a full roster because of these rules.

I don't know the answer, but I have not seen us get any other high school WR commits and Dimel mentioned that we had 2 WR's, so this leads me to believe that he possibly might be referring to Goodwin and Johnson. I think that Johnson always had the chance to be a WR and he played a lot of WR in high school. Neither guy looks to be a burner on film, but both are 6'2", so I could see them being tried as WR's instead of DB's first. This is all just speculation on my end, but this would explain Dimel's comment. Or the other way to look this, is if both of these guys are gone, then we have 2 unknown WR commits out there?

I don't know how the transfers or scholarship limits work, but with so much blue shirting and borrowing from the future classes, I don't even know if the limits come into play any more?

Reactions: kickballpro
I watched warfield play twice this season. Great athlete, carried his Antonion team to multiple victory’s. He is going to have to develop as a passer if they plan on keeping him at QB. Just my opinion.

Dimel mentioned that they will try him at QB, but might move him to WR. Apparently they really like his athleticism and we're happy to hold on to him. Dimel even mentioned him in comparison to Jacob Cowing if they move him to WR.

That's another BS quote from Dimel in my opinion.

What he means is he has verbal commits who didn't send their LOI and are waiting for better or full offers from others before they end up signing with Dimel, if they even sign, you announce a signee when they send in their stuff, Dimel must think the media and fans in El Paso are clueless.

The Houston kids we are waiting on are top 100 players from Houston Chronicle and aren't blue shirt material and could pick up Power 5 offers after the P5's re-evaluate where their numbers are at after the early signing period.

He maybe saying they have other commits who are blue shirts which would be lowly rated high school prospects, but I think the two Houston kids are looking else where and won't be signing with us at all, just my guess and 2 cents.

Based on what was expected, right now we are still missing 1 JC signee and 3 High School signees.

My guess is that today we were also expecting to sign:

1 JC: Cobb.

3 High School: Liggins, Goodwin, and Johnson.

BTW, we still don't have a JC TE, despite having made so many offers.

In think (hope) Cobb will sign later. He is a summer qualifier with 3 years left and still has his redshirt. His Twitter profile pic is as a Miner.

Also wondering what's up with stonewall. He has a verbal to UNM but they just named a new head coach.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Dennis Barnes runs a 4.37. Originally committed to Hawaii and changed to UTEP.

Dimel mentioned entire D-Line commits will be here Jan 20 and they are 300+ pound athletic run stoppers.

Tyrice Knight is a big LB 6-2, 235 who has 3 years of eligibility as does Keenan Stewart.

Dimel talked about the Safety position, that both starting safeties were lost to injury this past season. Justin Prince and Broderick Harroll were the starting safeties and Prince was lost vs Southern Miss and Harroll prior to the start of the season. Said having the back immediately helps their secondary along with Barnes.

Both starting corners return and these new guys which will be here in the spring are big. Recruited starters on every level of the defense

He described Ian James as a guy who can make the two deep as a freshman because he's very long. Khalil Warfield will come in as a QB but if that doesn't work out he will move to wr.

Willie Eldridge had multiple offers and is explosive. Feels like landing two highly touted running backs in Hankins and Eldridge is outstanding.

Dresden McIver, came to a UTEP camp and loved his athleticism.

Dimel feels he like he has a great young O-line with a couple redshirts coming up but wants to add a Juco O-Lineman, has a TE signed but can't talk about him until February and has two TE's he's targeting.

Really focused on guys he could get here this spring. Dimel feels there is a void in the Junior Class from when he arrived and feels he needed to get some JUCO kids to balance recruiting.

Dimel mentioned 3 Freshman from California that were recruited late last year that will all start as Redshirt Freshman this year. Didnt say names. Mentioned a DT from CA that redshirted that would have started as a true freshman but had an academic issue that is now clear. Dimel said he's special. I'm guessing its Juice Tupua.

Dimel mentioned the Transfer Portal is a harsh reality because there are 1400 kids in the portal and 200 scholarships and some in the portal were asked not to come back and thats why they are there. One of them said he made a huge mistake and wants to return.

Mentioned that the two Kilgore recruits were made because of his relationship that he built with the coach from when he recruited Blinn College for KSU.

Dimel said he does NOT feel a sense of urgency.

If you listen to the presser you pretty much come away pretty excited that there are so many good young players, lots of starters returning, and really good talent coming in that will look like Division 1 players. At the same time you would like for him to say we need to start winning now.

Dimel mentioned 3 Freshman from California that were recruited late last year that will all start as Redshirt Freshman this year. Didnt say names. Mentioned a DT from CA that redshirted that would have started as a true freshman but had an academic issue that is now clear. Dimel said he's special. I'm guessing its Juice Tupua.

Juice was one of our first commitments last year, I believe that he was referring to Rudolph. My guess is that Wilson, Broussard, and Rudolph are the 3 guys that he was referencing. All 3 were late commitments last year and all 3 were rated as 3 stars. I remember reading that Rudolph had interest from Arizona State but they were waiting for him to pass his test. Dimel mentioned that the DT had a test got flagged, but then it eventually got cleared. Dimel used these guys as an example for why he likes to hold onto scholarships for the late period.

Kind of OT but it’s football related. Look how good he looks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT