ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football ranked in the bottom 10 of G5 teams.

Those were the laziest ranking ive seen to date. Absolutely no research went into those rankings. At least we know football is around the corner. I expect us to be picked 2nd in cusa west in most of the pre season publications.

Last edited:
I'm sure the vast majority of writers do not have the time to properly research each and every program in the country so there is no way that I put that much stock into what they're saying.
Look at this website. They're saying that Kugler is the number 3 C-USA coach on the hot seat. That's complete garbage to me especially since they brought in some really good coordinators.
http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/conference-usa-preview-2016

Reactions: e-rick
Not that I agree with his rankings but Bill Connelly does know what he is talking about. He does extensive previews on every single team and has been doing it for years.

I think UTEP should be in the 29-37 range with "bowls possible"

My problem is if you break down our team unit by unit we are in the top half of g5 schools. The secondary returns Beverly, Needham, Smith and gets Cockrell back. The linebacking core is the most questionable unit on the team however, we have Alvin Jones who is the best player on the team. Phil Steele has already ranked or linebackers as one of the top five linebacking cores in cusa. The dline only loses Harris who underperformed. Im really excited about Sky Logan who I think is our best interior d-lineman since Chris Mineo.

On offense we return four starting olineman. We return tte best tightend in cusa. Our top four recievers from last year return. TK Powell and Aaron Jones return along wiyh a stable of young studs at running back. Qb is the question mark but we have three guys who have played. We replaced the most inept coordinator in fbs which is probably worth two extra wins on its own.

On special teams we return a kicker and punter and gain a Juco all American kick returner.

When you break it down unit by unit this team is very talented and deeper than we've ever been. They have to produce on the field but with two new coordinators and all the returning talent I think it will be a big year.

After the implosion of last year, I have high hopes for this team. The new OC with a fresh approach is a bonus. We'll see though. I'm well past getting my hopes up each season.

My problem is if you break down our team unit by unit we are in the top half of g5 schools. The secondary returns Beverly, Needham, Smith and gets Cockrell back. The linebacking core is the most questionable unit on the team however, we have Alvin Jones who is the best player on the team. Phil Steele has already ranked or linebackers as one of the top five linebacking cores in cusa. The dline only loses Harris who underperformed. Im really excited about Sky Logan who I think is our best interior d-lineman since Chris Mineo.

On offense we return four starting olineman. We return tte best tightend in cusa. Our top four recievers from last year return. TK Powell and Aaron Jones return along wiyh a stable of young studs at running back. Qb is the question mark but we have three guys who have played. We replaced the most inept coordinator in fbs which is probably worth two extra wins on its own.

On special teams we return a kicker and punter and gain a Juco all American kick returner.

When you break it down unit by unit this team is very talented and deeper than we've ever been. They have to produce on the field but with two new coordinators and all the returning talent I think it will be a big year.
I believe this ranking.

We get Ags early and will be a good test of the fall progress. Passing game I have no clue what to expect since spring didn't show much.

Those were the laziest ranking ive seen to date. Absolutely no research went into those rankings. At least we know football is around the corner. I expect us to be picked 2nd in cusa west in most of the pre season publications.

Several observations...

1) Given your previously stated opinion that UTEP football is "on the cusp of greatness", your disagreement with these predictions is, well, predictable. But your characterization of Bill Connelly and SBNation as "lazy" is a reach. Disagree if you must, but discrediting reputable sources is bad form.

2) In three years under Kugler, with few exceptions, UTEP has struggled against teams with similar or inferior talent (NMSU, UTSA, Incarnate Word, etc.) and been absolutely hammered by teams with superior talent, C-USA and OOC. Kugler has no control over his schedule, no matter how weak, but his team has complete control over their on-field performance. A truly realistic measure of program progress will be when UTEP starts to drill teams they should beat and stops losing to everybody else by basketball scores.

3) UTEP is a tough pre-season read. Probably improved at some positions, but a complete question mark at the most important position on the field is hardly a plus. And you may catch lightning in a bottle, but first year coordinators with completely revamped schemes may be a cause for optimism but it usually ends up being a crap shoot. Beyond that, the schedule is glactically soft (maybe the easiest in the nation), the Miners could literally win 7,8, 9 football games next season without beating a team with a winning record. Again, UTEP is a tough preseason read.

4) Connelly's UTEP pick at #4 in C-USA West looks about right from here. Again, it's preseason, Rice is reloading, going up-tempo, and had 33 freshmen (pure and rs) last year, Tech is rebuilding but it's still Tech. Plus, both are UTEP road games and the Miners are historically bad on the road, especially in Houston. Both games have "opportunity" written all over them for UTEP, real potential barometers for gauging program improvement.

5) SBNation lists Kugler as #3 on the C-USA hot seat list. That seems a stretch, given the performance bar set by Bob Stull for Tim Floyd and UTEP's basketball program. Plus, some fans seem to have given Kugler a mulligan for two of his first three seasons, but hiring new coordinators on both sides of the ball going into your fourth season is hardly a signal that all is well in sparkle city. Bottom line, after four years, it's all on Kugler. No excuses. Put a clearly improved product on the field - and not just Ws against diluted competition - or expect increasingly dismal crowds, increased apathy, and head-shakes from even the most die-hard supporters.

Last edited:
Several observations...

1) Given your previously stated opinion that UTEP football is "on the cusp of greatness", your disagreement with these predictions is, well, predictable. But your characterization of Bill Connelly and SBNation as "lazy" is a reach. Disagree if you must, but discrediting reputable sources is bad form.

2) In three years under Kugler, with few exceptions, UTEP has struggled against teams with similar or inferior talent (NMSU, UTSA, Incarnate Word, etc.) and been absolutely hammered by teams with superior talent, C-USA and OOC. Kugler has no control over his schedule, no matter how weak, but his team has complete control over their on-field performance. A truly realistic measure of program progress will be when UTEP starts to drill teams they should beat and stops losing to everybody else by basketball scores.

3) UTEP is a tough pre-season read. Probably improved at some positions, but a complete question mark at the most important position on the field is hardly a plus. And you may catch lightning in a bottle, but first year coordinators with completely revamped schemes may be a cause for optimism but it usually ends up being a crap shoot. Beyond that, the schedule is glactically soft (maybe the easiest in the nation), the Miners could literally win 7,8, 9 football games next season without beating a team with a winning record. Again, UTEP is a tough preseason read.

4) Connelly's UTEP pick at #4 in C-USA West looks about right from here. Again, it's preseason, Rice is reloading, going up-tempo, and had 33 freshmen (pure and rs) last year, Tech is rebuilding but it's still Tech. Plus, both are UTEP road games and the Miners are historically bad on the road, especially in Houston. Both games have "opportunity" written all over them for UTEP, real potential barometers for gauging program improvement.

5) SBNation lists Kugler as #3 on the C-USA hot seat list. That seems a stretch, given the performance bar set by Bob Stull for Tim Floyd and UTEP's basketball program. Plus, some fans seem to have given Kugler a mulligan for two of his first three seasons, but hiring new coordinators on both sides of the ball going into your fourth season is hardly a signal that all is well in sparkle city. Bottom line, after four years, it's all on Kugler. No excuses. Put a clearly improved product on the field - and not just Ws against diluted competition - or expect increasingly dismal crowds, increased apathy, and head-shakes from even the most die-hard supporters.

Some fair points. Kugler inherited an absolute mess. A 3-9 team coming off seven straight losing seasons. It has been a total rebuild. What he has done is put the program on solid academic footing, and improved the talent level especially on the defensive side of the ball. He has also raised the floor of the program. Last year started terribly. In most years UTEP would have folded and quit. If before the season I would have said we're going to lose 16 guys off the two deep to season ending injuries but at the end of the season we will have a 37 yd field goal to go to a bowl game most would have been happy. 5-7 is not acceptable but Kugler has raised the floor. He inherited an absolute mess but has built things the right way and brought depth to the program we've never had before.

At qb eother Greenlee or Johnson will step up and take the job. I feel confident we can win either one of them.

As for the hotseat for Kugler, hes going to be on a hotseat. Football is the most important and visible sport for the athletic department. In this day and time you cant let a coach have more than five years with no reults. We all saw the disastrous results of keeping a coach too long. Kugler has to produce, and I think he will.

I know you dont like Kugler. Thats fine. However, when you look at the big picture the program has made leaps. Kugler inherited a mess he had to lay a foundation on which he could build a successful program. The program today is in much better shape today than it was in 2012 when he was hired. This program is very close to becoming a perennial winner.

Reactions: miner661
Some fair points. Kugler inherited an absolute mess. A 3-9 team coming off seven straight losing seasons. It has been a total rebuild. What he has done is put the program on solid academic footing, and improved the talent level especially on the defensive side of the ball. He has also raised the floor of the program. Last year started terribly. In most years UTEP would have folded and quit. If before the season I would have said we're going to lose 16 guys off the two deep to season ending injuries but at the end of the season we will have a 37 yd field goal to go to a bowl game most would have been happy. 5-7 is not acceptable but Kugler has raised the floor. He inherited an absolute mess but has built things the right way and brought depth to the program we've never had before.

At qb eother Greenlee or Johnson will step up and take the job. I feel confident we can win either one of them.

As for the hotseat for Kugler, hes going to be on a hotseat. Football is the most important and visible sport for the athletic department. In this day and time you cant let a coach have more than five years with no reults. We all saw the disastrous results of keeping a coach too long. Kugler has to produce, and I think he will.

I know you dont like Kugler. Thats fine. However, when you look at the big picture the program has made leaps. Kugler inherited a mess he had to lay a foundation on which he could build a successful program. The program today is in much better shape today than it was in 2012 when he was hired. This program is very close to becoming a perennial winner.

What is your definition of better shape? Graduation rate? Ok, no argument as of this date. Kugler's records are slowly getting accolades and that's what it is all about. Bowls? Price had us in the Houston and GMAC by this same time frame. Kugler had UTEP in the UNM in a game that UTEP should have won but bad, bad coaching cost them the win. UTEP was slobber knocking the hell out of USU and had them on the ropes and blew it. (Remember, I am referring to the same time frame). Attendance? No freaking contest! Price blew the record book. Hate Price or love Price, he brought excitement (with that being said, Kappy's radio show leading up to the Price hiring was the best work from Kap I have ever heard, hindsight is 20/20, lol!. He questioned the Price hiring if it was the right road for UTEP). Season Ticket sales? See above.

Still to early to tell life and I will give Kugler another year. However, he has no choice but to get that passing game going and bring up attendance, if he likes it or not.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
What is your definition of better shape? Graduation rate? Ok, no argument as of this date. Kugler's records are slowly getting accolades and that's what it is all about. Bowls? Price had us in the Houston and GMAC by this same time frame. Kugler had UTEP in the UNM in a game that UTEP should have won but bad, bad coaching cost them the win. UTEP was slobber knocking the hell out of USU and had them on the ropes and blew it. (Remember, I am referring to the same time frame). Attendance? No freaking contest! Price blew the record book. Hate Price or love Price, he brought excitement (with that being said, Kappy's radio show leading up to the Price hiring was the best work from Kap I have ever heard, hindsight is 20/20, lol!. He questioned the Price hiring if it was the right road for UTEP). Season Ticket sales? See above.
But in hindsight, Price did inherit an experienced team from Nord (the culmination of his "five-year plan") and was able to leverage that experience in the back-to-back bowl seasons. Price was a better game-day coach than Nord, so who knows how those teams would have performed under Nord, but the team he inherited was loaded. With that came the attendance that comes with success.

But Price wasn't able to sustain that. A case can be made that he squandered his early success, based on deep teams he inherited from his predecessor. His offenses remained powerful but his defenses were putrid, and his teams lacked depth. His teams were routinely pushed around by the more physical CUSA-East teams. Attendance started falling precipitously under Price, before Kugler ever took over.

Price didn't leave Kugler the talent and depth that he inherited from Nord. Kugler has had to basically build his teams from scratch. I do see Kugler developing talent and depth on his teams, in a manner similar to Nord's plan, so they can go toe-to-toe with the more physical teams in the conference. Last season was a step back but the team definitely improved as the season progressed and gave La. Tech all they could handle. I see reason for optimism.

This scares me and has scared me since day one as I was not as thrilled with this hire as you were and I hope he proves me wrong!!! Brent pease article when he was with Florida... When he was with them they had a dreadful offense and I hope he has learned a lot since

Pease was made the primary scapegoat for a dismal season that included a dreadful offense and the worst loss in school history. The Gators finished the season ranked 112th in total offense. Florida managed just 279 yards in a 26-20 loss to lower-division Georgia Southern on Nov. 23 and then 193 against the Seminoles.

Florida's offense was ravaged by injuries, losing quarterback Jeff Driskel, running back Matt Jones, receiver Andre Debose and three offensive tackles for the season. Backup quarterback Tyler Murphyalso missed the final three games with a sprained throwing shoulder, leaving third-stringer Skyler Mornhinweg to start.

The injuries surely were a viable excuse for this season, but they can't be blamed for Florida's offense being ranked in the triple digits for three consecutive years.

This scares me and has scared me since day one as I was not as thrilled with this hire as you were and I hope he proves me wrong!!! Brent pease article when he was with Florida... When he was with them they had a dreadful offense and I hope he has learned a lot since

Pease was made the primary scapegoat for a dismal season that included a dreadful offense and the worst loss in school history. The Gators finished the season ranked 112th in total offense. Florida managed just 279 yards in a 26-20 loss to lower-division Georgia Southern on Nov. 23 and then 193 against the Seminoles.

Florida's offense was ravaged by injuries, losing quarterback Jeff Driskel, running back Matt Jones, receiver Andre Debose and three offensive tackles for the season. Backup quarterback Tyler Murphyalso missed the final three games with a sprained throwing shoulder, leaving third-stringer Skyler Mornhinweg to start.

The injuries surely were a viable excuse for this season, but they can't be blamed for Florida's offense being ranked in the triple digits for three consecutive years.

Not worried. Muschamp hancuffed Pease at Florida. Didnt let him install his full offense. Four years ago Pease was the most sought after coordinator in the country. Saban wanted Pease to run the Alabama offense. If Pease could go back in time im sure he would have taken the Alabama job instead of Florida. If he had taken the Alabama job he would likely be the head coach at a p5 school right now. As it is we get a gifted playcaller with a chip on his shoulder. The offense will be night and day better. Anybody is better than our previous oc.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
The offense will be night and day better. Anybody is better than our previous oc.

Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one.

Better is a passing game and an offensive run/pass balance close to 50-50. I'll settle for 60-40, or even 70-30, but as long as it's an actual passing game and not an after thought.

Better is not slamming Jones into the LOS on 1st and 2nd downs 30+ times a game and then do a dump route to him on 3rd down.

Better is more creative play calling, play design and formations than simply lining up in a three wide, with a single RB, only to hand it off to Jones for the 38th time in a game.

Better is a better defensive scheme that doesn't put inexperienced players on an island, with no adjustments.

Better is not playing favorites. Best players on the field. End of story.

Last edited:
Only time will tell with Pease. But he has a big upside considering he turned Kentucky into one of the best offenses in the country as OC, and he has 6 years in the Boise State system with one of them as OC when they only lost 1 game in 2011. Boise State has a hell of a recipe of success in football and it is a huge plus if we can get someone who knows that recipe. I would imagine Kugler hired Pease to run an offense very similar to Boise's offense this season and not that power run game we have seen the past 3 years. Pease was a great hire in my opinion.

For Peace (or anybody) to be successful, he must have 1) the blessing of the HC (with parameters) to run his system, and 2) the personnel to execute that system. Pease's offenses and personnel at Boise and Kentucky bore zero resemblance to what Kugler has run the past three seasons. Ground and pound is in Kugler's DNA (66% running plays in 2015). The personnel he recruits - or doesn't recruit (e.g.QB) - reflects that philosophy. In three seasons, Kugler has failed to demonstrate a propensity or willingness to substantially change, adjust, or adapt on either side of the ball. We'll see. Whatever happens, he's on the clock (his)...

Last edited:
Some people cannot ever see the obvious. Posting criticisms of past year's OC and DC failings (and I was the biggest critic) are irrelevant. Coach Kugler fired them both for those failings and replaced them. he didn't fire them for faithfully following his instructions! Amazingly, courageously and to my great pleasure, he fired them. You have no idea how much beer I had to drink to get the bad taste out of my mouth after the New Mexico Bowl when the play calling cost us a Bowl Victory. And that down the middle shit on first down! And that successfully run the ball down the Texas Tech throat and then try to pass for three downs inside the 10 yard game! Ugh!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Some people cannot ever see the obvious. Posting criticisms of past year's OC and DC failings (and I was the biggest critic) are irrelevant. Coach Kugler fired them both for those failings and replaced them. he didn't fire them for faithfully following his instructions! Amazingly, courageously and to my great pleasure, he fired them. You have no idea how much beer I had to drink to get the bad taste out of my mouth after the New Mexico Bowl when the play calling cost us a Bowl Victory. And that down the middle shit on first down! And that successfully run the ball down the Texas Tech throat and then try to pass for three downs inside the 10 yard game! Ugh!

The end of the Tech game was on showers. He was calling the plays inside two minutes. Last year everyone lauded Metz for calling his own plays inside two minutes at NMSU. Very few knew that was part of the offense and had cost us the Tech game the season before. Showers wanted to prove something to Kingsbury by throwing the winning td pass and it backfired big time. I think Showers was 6 for 21 passing that night.

For Peace (or anybody) to be successful, he must have 1) the blessing of the HC (with parameters) to run his system, and 2) the personnel to execute that system. Pease's offenses and personnel at Boise and Kentucky bore zero resemblance to what Kugler has run the past three seasons. Ground and pound is in Kugler's DNA (66% running plays in 2015). The personnel he recruits - or doesn't recruit (e.g.QB) - reflects that philosophy. In three seasons, Kugler has failed to demonstrate a propensity or willingness to substantially change, adjust, or adapt on either side of the ball. We'll see. Whatever happens, he's on the clock (his)...
I look at the fact that Pease's offense bore zero resemblance to what Kugler has done the past 3 seasons as a sign that Kugler is willing to change his philosophy and open up the offense. If we had another lame boring OC hiring like a Higgins, it would be safe to say Kugler isn't changing. Then that Fresno QB is another good sign he is opening up the offense. I don't see that QB transferring here if Kugler told him he is going to run the same ground and pound offense.

Your funny bro. You have these high expectations for football and wanted the OC and DC fired for poor play calling and poor performance on the field, but yet you have a million excuses for Floyd and believe every excuse that comes out of his mouth, and don't want him fired for his below expectations performance. And your the one saying some people cannot ever see the obvious. Floyd has been here twice as long as Kugler has , and the football team shows more signs of success than the basketball team.

The end of the Tech game was on showers. He was calling the plays inside two minutes. Last year everyone lauded Metz for calling his own plays inside two minutes at NMSU. Very few knew that was part of the offense and had cost us the Tech game the season before. Showers wanted to prove something to Kingsbury by throwing the winning td pass and it backfired big time. I think Showers was 6 for 21 passing that night.

And we know all of this HOW? Man, you must be some kind of SERIOUS insider, as in inside Showers' head...

And we know all of this HOW? Man, you must be some kind of SERIOUS insider, as in inside Showers' head...

Why he called four pass plays? The week leading up to the game it was written about extensively how Showers was bitter at Kingsbury for not getting the starting job at A&M. If kingsburys not standing on the other sideline, there is no way in hell I think he calls four pass plays in a row. Especially considering we almost had four hundred yds on the ground and only 59 through the air.

Cubsfan81, i may be funny but your constant haranguing on Floyd is boring. And your shit ain't influencing anything. Trolls always think their posts are impacting and important but more often then not they're impotent and lame. Wait, was that an oxymoron?

If I remember correctly we had the ball with under 2 minutes against Tech. No way we're running the ball and killing what little clock we had. Who does that?

After the long kickoff return from Golden and the face mask penalty against Tech we set up shop at Tech's 33 yard line. We needed to move 33 yards in about 2 and half minutes to make history by knocking off a P5 team. It wasn't to be. For some reason we got away from what was working which was give the ball to Jones. We lost a game we should have won.

Cubsfan81, i may be funny but your constant haranguing on Floyd is boring. And your shit ain't influencing anything. Trolls always think their posts are impacting and important but more often then not they're impotent and lame. Wait, was that an oxymoron?
Tim Floyd could try and sell you beach front property in El Paso and you would buy it. I am not trolling, I am just seeing the obvious about the basketball team and writing it. You live in Floyd's world of fiction. I don't care if my posts influence anything. But it is becoming obvious that more and more people are getting fed up with Floyd's performance. I am a season ticket holder and go to all of the games, and its attendance is declining fast at the BB games.

At least Kulger realized a change was needed and made it happen with the firings of the OC and DC. He knew there was a problem and is trying to fix it. Floyd on the other hand is so arrogant and has a huge ego, he doesn't want to admit there is a problem with the BB program. He just wants to set up smoke screens and blame it on a national transfer epidemic, the previous coaching staff 6 years ago, CUSA being a one bid league.

Last year Kulger had like 13 players out for the season with injuries and lost his best player early in the season. Kugler had every reason to give up on the season and use that as an excuse, but he didn't. He kept fighting till the season end and still almost made a bowl game with nothing. If Floyd lost his best player to injury, he would be using that excuse until 2025.

Did Tim Floyd start coaching football? If not what does Tim Floyd have to do with this topic ?

I look at the fact that Pease's offense bore zero resemblance to what Kugler has done the past 3 seasons as a sign that Kugler is willing to change his philosophy and open up the offense. If we had another lame boring OC hiring like a Higgins, it would be safe to say Kugler isn't changing. Then that Fresno QB is another good sign he is opening up the offense. I don't see that QB transferring here if Kugler told him he is going to run the same ground and pound offense.

Exactly but here's what's interesting. Last season, Kug's in an interview said explicitly he wanted a balanced offense. Of course he wants to control the ball with the running game, but you can do that and throw the ball. His OC however, didn't have the creative energy to develop different formations or develop a rhythm to his playcalling. Obviously Kug's wasn't getting what he wanted. Toss in several players quit, it requires a re-eval. Out goes the ineffective, in comes (hopefully) the effective.

We'll see how it goes though. Several minor (no pun intended) nuggets leaked out of camp that the offense was still geared to more of the same. But here's why I'm confident it isn't. Zack Greenlee isn't coming to UTEP to hand the ball off 30+ times a game. So maybe we'll finally have a real passing game or at the very least, an actual passing tree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT