ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP in MWC(expansion talks) again

giphy.gif

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Something like this comes out every year then nothing happens and its getting a little annoying to me. Would I like UTEP to be in the MWC? Of course but this whole thing is getting old already. Either go to MWC or don't. The MWC and UTEP need to stop flirting with each other already and make a decision one way or the other.

Something like this comes out every year then nothing happens and its getting a little annoying to me. Would I like UTEP to be in the MWC? Of course but this whole thing is getting old already. Either go to MWC or don't. The MWC and UTEP need to stop flirting with each other already and make a decision one way or the other.
LOL...yeah they need to stop flirting and just get in bed together already!

Reactions: mine n for gold
Ralph Nader has a better chance winning in 2016.

Even if it came to fruition, Natalicio would nix it again and for good reason.

She nixed moving to the MWC once to use the money for academic/research purposes if I remember correctly (UTEP has actually been invited twice according to some sources on here). Utah State got the invite instead.

I totally agree with that decision. She's done her best to help athletics and it has not really produced good fruit as far as the revenue producing side (football and basketball). Two invites to NM bowl and one NIT bid the last ten years.

She nixed moving to the MWC once to use the money for academic/research purposes if I remember correctly (UTEP has actually been invited twice according to some sources on here). Utah State got the invite instead.

I totally agree with that decision. She's done her best to help athletics and it has not really produced good fruit as far as the revenue producing side (football and basketball). Two invites to NM bowl and one NIT bid the last ten years.

Boosters will pay the 3.5 million entrance fee. It wont come from the university general fund. Natalicio will do whatever to appease the big money donors. The biggest donors to athletics are also the biggest donors to the academic side. The big donors want us out of C-USA. Its alot easier to raise money for the university when athletics is successful. Natalicio would fully support a move to the mountain west.

Not sure what Utep your talking about or if you just made that up, but that's incorrect. Though still far from great or what Utep Basketball used to be from 2005-2015
It's 2 NCAA appearances, 3 NIT, and 3 Bowls!

Not sure what Utep your talking about or if you just made that up, but that's incorrect. Though still far from great or what Utep Basketball used to be from 2005-2015
It's 2 NCAA appearances, 3 NIT, and 3 Bowls!

I believe he was talking about our ten years in cusa. While in cusa we've only been to one ncaa tournament.

I would love to play in the MWC but please understand the article is for entertainment purposes only.

Show me proof of any offer to join the MWC has ever been extended UTEP (there is none, formal or even informal) and reporters, sports writers, Joe next door said or internet post from sources don't count. I think the writer (Dodd) has published this kind of story so many times, he was late for a deadline or something, saw MWC presidents meeting listed and filled in the blanks from the last one. My bold prediction- we will see another "story" stating something to the effect "we discussed expansion, but have agreed to table discussion until further study is conducted". Number one rule in show biz, "always keep them hanging and wanting more"

Reactions: allminer
Dennis Dobbs is credible source. This isn't just hearsay. This is reputable facts.

Dennis Dobbs is credible source. This isn't just hearsay. This is reputable facts.
But as the article says when quoting MWC sources, they are just discussing and will not act at this time. UTEP wants an invite, we could tell that because both Natalicio and Stull made public comments about what a good move it would be for UTEP to be associated with MWC schools back when the merger was expected. That fell apart unfortunately and I just don't see the motivation for the MWC to go to 14 members.

I believe he was talking about our ten years in cusa. While in cusa we've only been to one ncaa tournament.

My fault. Sorry and thank you.

But UTEP is on the verge of Tier 1 status. From commuter school to Tier 1 status is a major accomplishment that I would think any Roman emperor would be proud of (you know, wasn't built in a day thing). As you can see, the academic accomplishments now have MWC ears perked up.

It also has to make economic sense. MWC tv deal runs through 2020. CUSAs deal is up next year and they will probably try to get something settled before football season.

It would be great to see CUSA get AAC type of bucks but given ESPNs situation, bidding wars will probably not ensue meaning a deal similar to what is now in place is more likely. If MWC is to expand, it will happen before their new tv deal is in place in 2020.

They will also try to lure BYU back with some type of Boise St. deal meaning BYU will maintain a larger portion of their game revenue. Houston is a big market but UTEP maintains fan presence throughout Texas as well as California and the west. If our football and basketball teams become relevant again, we will be invited along with BYU. By then, perhaps ESPN will be on a more sound financial footing prompting a higher price at the table.

What surely won't happen is UTEP being invited because it makes "geographic sense" It's got to make dollars to make sense.

Doesn't the geographic scenario have to do with traveling costs? Which still doesn't help anyone. I read an economic online periodical that jet fuel prices have gone down by as much as 41% but yet airline ticket prices have only gone down 5% at the most.

If that's the case, do you stay in CUSA and get east coast pub because of conference affiliation with eastern schools in the conference or go to a stronger conference in MWC?

I hope Memphis and vinyl get picked up by power 5 conference and we get invites to American. I know travel would be the same as it is now, but it's a much better conference than CUSA is right now

Reputable or not, I have never seen anything that shows that these reports are more than a rumor. I've seen every reasonable reason FOR and invitation etc. but never any action, comment or otherwise from those who make this decision. When a writer stands behind "sources" and does not provide names, dates, quotes the statements iterated cannot be taken as fact. Again I would love to be in the MWC, it makes sense in many ways but the MWC has never acted on this, voted or made any effort towards action on expansion. The MWC would have to agree or vote to expand before they decided on who to take, no record of this exists, no vote has ever been taken or even placed on the agenda, so this remains speculation. My theory they don't want UTEP or RICE they want BYU back in the fold and this is a ruse to force BYU to examine this option in detail (act now, this offer may be extended to others who will take your place) and place a little bit more pressure on BYU.

Of course they want BYU back but BYU doesn't want back in. They make a lot more money from their independent tv deal. The only benefit to go back to a conference would be an easier way into the BCS or whatever its called now. But if BYU were to come back, they would need another member to balance out the conference. Again this is predicated on their next tv deal I believe so nothing will happen until 2017 or beyond. But it is still a possibility. Regardless of what MWC or BYU do, we have to start winning in both football and basketball and we have to get tier 1.

The Big 12 is considering/has considered BYU as well -- they have options.

We need to move up to MWC asap - we do not belong or have any deep rooted connections to CUSA It is a damn good move in every sense of the word! UTEP belongs in the MWC to bring base our large athletic base back to the Sun Bowl and Don - not only from the El Paso region, but also from our large western fan base in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and California.
I look forward to this great move in the not-to-distant future.

never said BYU wanted back in....I am sure their happy where they are, but the MWC is not above using any method they can to bring them back into the fold. Speculation of expansion by the MWC may be a way they are trying to leverage their position. It could be a ploy to tell BYU to make a decision, who knows it ALL speculation. However, if offered UTEP should not beg or enter into any agreement which places us at an economic disadvantage. Some of this group disrespected UTEP in our last relationship with them, were underhanded about pushing us out and left us with few options. UTEP should approach this as equals and nothing else.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
I think it's pointless to have any resentment about what happened in the past vis a vis the MWC or WAC. Although I've enjoyed playing some CUSA schools (Houston, SMU, and Tulsa mainly), they're gone and we have new competition, mainly. I'm all for burying the past and moving on with some GREAT old competition...UNM, Wyoming, Fresno State, Colorado State,San Diego State, Boise State, Nevada and so forth.

I would like to see the Sun Bowl replace the ACC with the winner of the MWC, with added payouts (from the conference) to secure the #3 or #4 PAC 12 team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
We need to move up to MWC asap - we do not belong or have any deep rooted connections to CUSA It is a damn good move in every sense of the word! UTEP belongs in the MWC to bring base our large athletic base back to the Sun Bowl and Don - not only from the El Paso region, but also from our large western fan base in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and California.
I look forward to this great move in the not-to-distant future.
ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: mikesarabia
This is the best news in years. Let's get this done, UTEP belongs in the MWC. As for the Texas ties, schedule non-conference vs. Texas universities--UT, SMU, North Texas, Texas State, Texas-San, Etc, in all sports.

Reactions: JeepJackson22
This is the best news in years. Let's get this done, UTEP belongs in the MWC. As for the Texas ties, schedule non-conference vs. Texas universities--UT, SMU, North Texas, Texas State, Texas-San, Etc, in all sports.

UNM,Wyoming and CSU back in the Sun Bowl would make many shat their pants with delight. Utah State would take getting used too.

Im on the fence on this because if UTEP moves it closes the door to the east and I do remember fans, boosters, etc, complaining nonstop because UTEP didn't recieved love and got no respect from the east coast (media).

And
UNM,Wyoming and CSU back in the Sun Bowl would make many shat their pants with delight. Utah State would take getting used too.

Im on the fence on this because if UTEP moves it closes the door to the east and I do remember fans, boosters, etc, complaining nonstop because UTEP didn't recieved love and got no respect from the east coast (media).

And we get respect now from the east coast ??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT