ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP v Texas Game Thread

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
Considering the competition, things aren't as bad as they could be. Kavika doesn't seem ready unfortunately because I had/still have such high hopes for him. The special teams is a disaster. Hopefully, we only go through this against Texas.

You know te biggest problem I have right now??? Utep doesn't seem to have any passion, any fire they look defeated !!! That defense should have been pumped after stopping Texas , hell Texas has been in the red zone twice and only gotten 3 pts... As of now I don't see any fire! Hope they can prove me wrong in the second

We look better in our base offense. The shotgun is being used to help kavika read the defense and use his feet, but I think he should only be doing slants/screens/bootlegs/and streaks. He should be thinking as little as possible.

K Johnson is very inexperienced and holding on to the ball way too long. He has to throw the ball away and avoid the sack. Metz needs to come in before this game gets out of control. Metz brings a better passing game.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Agree that Kavika looks really uncomfortable in the pocket and throwing the ball. He holds the ball too long at times and when he has time in the pocket his accuracy is off. I wonder if Metz gets a shot. I like feeding Jones as long as possible. The defense is playing great though! They've had their backs to the wall and responded very well. UT is going to try to throw more in the 2nd half I bet because UTEP is stopping their running game. This game has reminded me how much I dislike UT...

Also UT is going 2 and 3 deep. I have a feeling this defense is going to get gassed. They've been playing lights out but I don't know how long they can hold.

Reactions: minermx07
Metz is the better passer between the two. Texas knows Kavika is not a good passer and is one dimensional.

You would think that they would try to pass the ball!!! It's like coach kug is content giving up and getting Jones hurt. That's what is going to happen because everyone knows that they are going to run the ball.

Gotta say, the beginning of the game looked like this was going to be another blowout. Have to give the guys a lot of credit for responding to that punch in the mouth. Even if it does get away from us in the second half, I think I'm going to go away pleased with the effort.

Why pass?? You have an O line that's getting beat, a Qback who lacks experience and an accurate arm. Trying to pass is beyond stupid, you are going to force our overmatched D to stay on the field, get beat up and allow Texas to play to all their depth? Run the ball, pass to keep their defense off balance and shorten the game and get the hell out of there with a healthy team. We aren't going to win this game. I am pleased with our effort and we have kept simple plays from becoming big gainers. UT has hit on a couple of passes but they were near perfect passes and our safety was in good position to make a play if the pass wasn't perfect.

So you're saying let's forget about playing the game, just give up. I don't know if you're watching the game but going three and out is putting our defense out on the field without rest. Talk about stupid. Why the hell did we even schedule the game then, if you're just going to give up?

Kavika is having a terrible game. He holds the ball way too long. I think we have to give Metz some reps. What do we have to lose?

Agree, with the game getting out hand let's give ourselves a chance to move the ball and score some points. Metz will give the offense a spark and keep it respectable.

3 and done is not cutting it. Our defense had been playing most of the 3rd qt and will not be able to stop ut any longer.

I have to admit I have been really happy with our defense they have done well with all the crap our offense has done to them

Metz looked awful last year besides the NMSU game. Neither QB would've done well today.

Step u kidding me?? We are supposedly building a team to plow over people and are down 34-7 and 4th and 1 and we punt?? What the hell do you have to lose?? That frustrates me, that's not believing in your team

Reactions: MinerFreak279
I wish we had, green lee in there I think we might have actually hung with them with him

Says a lot about Texas's defense if their coaches don't think they can hold a 34-7 lead with 9:00 left. Pretty bush league.

Metz already looked better... Don't see what people see in Johnson as a qb!!! Maybe he could shift to wr? I would love to see him prove me wrong

After NMSU last year I was on the Metz bandwagon. But after several more starts I questioned his mental toughness. He was near tears speaking at a couple post game pressers. I think that is what keeps him from getting a legit shot at starting. Still would have like to see him earlier but I think the coaches went with Kavika so long cause he has mobility. Our receivers cant get any separation.

I get what you say about Metz, I also questioned his mental toughness. Not making excuses for Metz, but he was a freshman last year. I hope he's matured and worked on that during the offseason and can prove us wrong. Kavika is a great athlete and should be playing as either a rb or wr, not a college QB. Metz is a good passer and can at least keep a defense honest. This game is over and Texas is much better than us. I would like to see Metz used next week against Army. It's our only chance to beat a good Army team. Our defense played well at times and just rant out of steam.

Luna's punting was atrocious today. He had one blocked punt, one deflected and his other punts were short, with little hang time. I hope our punting game improves next week.

Reactions: MinerFreak279
I believe he'll eventually get it together and start. Just using the eye test, Metz has better footwork, throwing motion and release than all our QBs except Leftwich, Mack's only issue being his size. Metz to Sinegal will be a staple for us in the coming years. Just sucks cause us Miner fans are in a perpetual state of waiting for our team to get over the hump and get it together.

So you're saying let's forget about playing the game, just give up. I don't know if you're watching the game but going three and out is putting our defense out on the field without rest. Talk about stupid. Why the hell did we even schedule the game then, if you're just going to give up?
average clock time for 3 passes 30 seconds + game clock , average clock time for 3 run 2 min + game clock, we are going 3 and out pass or run. Give up no, but live to play another day, play your subs for the experience, run the offense as you do each game and not play outside of your talent or your game plan. Running a primary pass offense (which we can't with our current talent on the field). Getting experience for the subs is about all you get from this game now along with cashing the fat check (if there is one). We hung in there for almost a half, likely didn't get too hurt and the score was not outrageous, playing smart (not giving up) was the primary reason for the game going the way it did. We go out there a play bombs away the third and forth quarter, this could have been 72-7 or 65-7 which is IMO if far worse than 41-7
Why the hell did we even schedule the game then, if you're just going to give up? simple answer$$$$

average clock time for 3 passes 30 seconds + game clock , average clock time for 3 run 2 min + game clock, we are going 3 and out pass or run. Give up no, but live to play another day, play your subs for the experience, run the offense as you do each game and not play outside of your talent or your game plan. Running a primary pass offense (which we can't with our current talent on the field). Getting experience for the subs is about all you get from this game now along with cashing the fat check (if there is one). We hung in there for almost a half, likely didn't get too hurt and the score was not outrageous, playing smart (not giving up) was the primary reason for the game going the way it did. We go out there a play bombs away the third and forth quarter, this could have been 72-7 or 65-7 which is IMO if far worse than 41-7
Why the hell did we even schedule the game then, if you're just going to give up? simple answer$$$$

This game was scheduld in 2005. It was a three game series Texas came here in 08 we went there in 09 and were supposed to go in 2011. The game was pushed back five years when the big 12 added an extra conference game. This was the only game in series we got payed for.

This game was scheduld in 2005. It was a three game series Texas came here in 08 we went there in 09 and were supposed to go in 2011. The game was pushed back five years when the big 12 added an extra conference game. This was the only game in series we got payed for.
Thanks, I thought two games there for one here was a bad deal if no payout was added. I think they likely cleared half a million in the overall deal and it appears we didn't have to take too much of a beating in any of the three games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT