ADVERTISEMENT

Call me Crazy on this Proposal but It’s Time

EastCoastMiner17

High school stud
Oct 9, 2018
Staying up late on the East Coast to watch some of UTEP football has been rough to say the least. 2 or 3 weeks ago while watching the game I looked in the Miner offensive huddle and said out loud the Dimel era is over. It’s one thing struggling against good opposition and being able to take something from every game to move to the next. But we’ve gotten to the point where every week the team is regressing in a completely different facet of the game. From Offense to Defense to Special Teams it’s all a mess. And when you look at the players in the huddle their faces and body language says it all. Someone tell me these players haven’t checked out. You can’t! How can Dana Dimel relate to these players? Your younger coach on the staff Scotty O’Hara is in the press box with binoculars jotting notes. He sure as hell ain’t calling the plays. The players know they are stuck with Dimel. And it takes a lot for these players to keep showing up , and not turn on each other or even the coaches to the media. I actually commend the players in this aspect.

—Here’s my wild idea. You let Dimel finish the season. You take a huge risk on a YOUNGER-OFFENSIVE minded coach next season that won’t even cost 800k a year. GJ Kinne is making 800k a year right now ( the same salary as Dimel ) at Texas State and has beaten Baylor AND Nevada this season already. While putting up 77 points in a single game! I bring in MACK LEFTWICH, offensive coordinator, at Texas State. Yes former UTEP QB Mack Leftwich. At 28 years old, you’re not paying him 800k, so in a short term contract you’re recouping the Dimel last year loss. You give him 4 years. And if it doesn’t work out fine. But you take a RISK! You get someone younger in the building who is already familiar with the UTEP program, knows Texas- College and High School Football and you let the young man put together a staff. He ain’t gonna cost 800k and quite frankly , maybe Kinne advises him to stay with him. GJ Kinne is going to be one of the biggest names in college football if not already. So I wouldn’t be surprised if someone on his coaching staff says I’m sticking with him. It’s probably the smarter thing to do even for someone like Mack Leftwich.

In closing answer this question,

“What parent of a high school kid is even allowing Dana Dimel walk into their house and promise the world to their son, when we all know he won’t be at UTEP past next season?” Unless UTEP is your child’s ONLY D-1 offer you’re not even considering sending your kid to play under this staff at this moment. Dana Dimel has ZERO business recruiting any high school kid right now. He should be looking strictly at the portal and the JUCO ranks. ( oh but Dana Dimel doesn’t like pulling from the Transfer Portal ) what an old fashioned way to think. And a terrible way to evolve in todays coaching world. You actually think high school recruiting is what’s gonna help a school like UTEP in todays game?

Though I say let Dimel finish the year….It’s time. Make a change UTEP. Take a damn RISK!

Staying up late on the East Coast to watch some of UTEP football has been rough to say the least. 2 or 3 weeks ago while watching the game I looked in the Miner offensive huddle and said out loud the Dimel era is over. It’s one thing struggling against good opposition and being able to take something from every game to move to the next. But we’ve gotten to the point where every week the team is regressing in a completely different facet of the game. From Offense to Defense to Special Teams it’s all a mess. And when you look at the players in the huddle their faces and body language says it all. Someone tell me these players haven’t checked out. You can’t! How can Dana Dimel relate to these players? Your younger coach on the staff Scotty O’Hara is in the press box with binoculars jotting notes. He sure as hell ain’t calling the plays. The players know they are stuck with Dimel. And it takes a lot for these players to keep showing up , and not turn on each other or even the coaches to the media. I actually commend the players in this aspect.

—Here’s my wild idea. You let Dimel finish the season. You take a huge risk on a YOUNGER-OFFENSIVE minded coach next season that won’t even cost 800k a year. GJ Kinne is making 800k a year right now ( the same salary as Dimel ) at Texas State and has beaten Baylor AND Nevada this season already. While putting up 77 points in a single game! I bring in MACK LEFTWICH, offensive coordinator, at Texas State. Yes former UTEP QB Mack Leftwich. At 28 years old, you’re not paying him 800k, so in a short term contract you’re recouping the Dimel last year loss. You give him 4 years. And if it doesn’t work out fine. But you take a RISK! You get someone younger in the building who is already familiar with the UTEP program, knows Texas- College and High School Football and you let the young man put together a staff. He ain’t gonna cost 800k and quite frankly , maybe Kinne advises him to stay with him. GJ Kinne is going to be one of the biggest names in college football if not already. So I wouldn’t be surprised if someone on his coaching staff says I’m sticking with him. It’s probably the smarter thing to do even for someone like Mack Leftwich.

“What parent of a high school kid is even allowing Dana Dimel walk into their house and promise the world to their son, when we all know he won’t be at UTEP past next season?” Unless UTEP is your child’s ONLY D-1 offer you’re not even considering sending your kid to play under this staff at this moment. Dana Dimel has ZERO business recruiting any high school kid right now. He should be looking strictly at the portal and the JUCO ranks. ( oh but Dana Dimel doesn’t like pulling from the Transfer Portal ) what an old fashioned way to think. And a terrible way to evolve in todays coaching world. You actually think high school recruiting is what’s gonna help a school like UTEP in todays game?

Though I say let Dimel finish the year….It’s time. Make a change UTEP. Take a damn RISK!
Yes

Leftwich is lighting it up but is he ready?

I haven’t mentioned his name in while but Skip Holtz is the mid major man. Experience, poise, smarts, can get recruits and transfers, helped build La Tech who stupidly dismissed him (he was winning bowls but no conference championships was their claim) and ECU, runs a potent offense and has Texas recruiting ties.

Last edited:
Leftwich is lighting it up but is he ready?

I haven’t mentioned his name in while but Skip Holtz is the mid major man. Experience, poise, smarts, can get recruits and transfers, help build La Tech who stupidly dismissed him (he was winning bowls but no conference championships was their claim) and ECU, runs a potent offense and has Texas recruiting ties.
Holtz is not a bad option. In fact, his last few seasons in LA he was making just over 700k a season. This is what frustrates me even more. Dana Dimel at 800K. Unreal .

You’re right at 28, Leftwich coming to coach , would be a huge story. He would be the youngest coach in FBS. And one of the youngest head coaches in division 1 history. At 28 he’s probably 5 years away from being a name where the bigger programs would consider him. It would be a big risk. But his salary. At ASU they are paying a 33 year old 3.85 million a season. So I think we could come up with 600k, save money on the last year of Dimel contract and look elsewhere .

Reactions: develman
I totally agree, bring in a YOUNG, offensive minded coordinator... Someone who will take risks, sling the ball around, and can relate to the modern youth. Dimel is way past his prime, and hard headed. The frustation on the players face's, says it all. They respect their coach, but they look very frustrated (likely for many reasons, like 1-4) it's time to move on. Senter and Wilson, surely, must see it. I think above all, this is a sad reality. Another failed UTEP coach, one who should not have been hired. His backing, did not support it. Enough with the older "nice" guy coach, bring in hungry young asshole... lol They will beat La-Tech this week, but same should hold true, let Dimel go!

Leftwich isn't ready.

Colby Carthel is the obvious choice. He's 47, not too old. He wanted the job the last time around. He makes $260,000 a year at SFA. This is our last chance to wrap him up before he moves on.

WIKI Coaching Record:

I’m for it. I wish there was some petition someone could get started. And literally drop it on Senters desk with everyone name on it. Delivered with proof of delivery. He can’t hide forever .

Here’s a question for anyone that attends the games. Is Senter still walking the concourse and shaking hands , or is he hiding in the press box ? Is he still saying we’re heading in the right direction and trust the process???

If the public lets him off the hook, he will be at UTEP too long .

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I’m for it. I wish there was some petition someone could get started. And literally drop it on Senters desk with everyone name on it. Delivered with proof of delivery. He can’t hide forever .

Here’s a question for anyone that attends the games. Is Senter still walking the concourse and shaking hands , or is he hiding in the press box ? Is he still saying we’re heading in the right direction and trust the process???

Exactly people should stop attending the games and that's when Senter and Wilson will realize its their fault.

Reactions: T-6 Miner

He hid at the Northwestern game, as soon as things went south... lol

I saw Senter standing in the GA section with about 5 minutes left in the game, just standing and doing nothing. He probably knows his days at UTEP are numbered.

Just wait until y’all find out that Dimel is actually making 850k a year. Good roi for us.

Anyway, he has one more year left on his contract after this year. There’s no way he gets an extension without a bowl season. Assuming we finish with 3 or 4 wins, does he play a lame duck season or will Senter eat the last year of his contract?

Just wait until y’all find out that Dimel is actually making 850k a year. Good roi for us.

Anyway, he has one more year left on his contract after this year. There’s no way he gets an extension without a bowl season. Assuming we finish with 3 or 4 wins, does he play a lame duck season or will Senter eat the last year of his contract?

You're really optimistic that Dimel will win 3 or 4 games. 😂

The second we are not eligible to go bowling, Dimel needs to be let go. I don't care how many games are left.

It’s time to shit-can the whole program. The end game for every team is a NC, will UTEP ever come closing to sniffing any chance of an NC? HELL MUTHA EFFIN NO! Are they even close to a conf chip? HELL NO! What are we hoping for?…To finally win the New Mexico Bowl? Burn it to the ground!

850k for a dude that looks like a retarded Bill Parcells…..Jeebus H!

Bring on Men’s soccer and Baseball.

F U C K UTEP!

Last edited:
It’s time to shit-can the whole program. The end game for every team is a NC, will UTEP ever come closing to sniffing any chance of an NC? HELL MUTHA EFFIN NO! Are they even close to a conf chip? HELL NO! What are we hoping for?…To finally win the New Mexico Bowl? Burn it to the ground!

F U C K UTEP!
Men’s soccer LOL.

The program does not need to get scrapped. The problem is this athletic department lacks vision, it's in need of good leadership. Goals? Winning seasons, bowl invites, bowl wins, conference championships, MWC invite.

Wilson needs to act soon, get the right people in there, or we will be left behind by UTRGV in the near future.

UTEP won’t drop football. At worst, there might be a scenario where they could drop to FCS, but that’s even far fetched.

So if UTEP were to drop football, adding baseball and men’s soccer wouldn’t do a damn thing. Ridiculous to even suggest fans would turn out for baseball and soccer games.

I would not go Mack Leftwich. I want a younger, more energetic guy... but the utep job is difficult. Utep needs to hire a guy that can recruit in addition to having coaching ability. With that comes experience. Leftwich needs a few more years of seasoning since he's only been coaching FBS football since this year.

We also have to consider who would actually apply for the job. That's probably why we got stuck with Dimel in 2017.

All of y’all are missing the biggest point and the biggest point of success in college football now a days.

Yes the head coach hire is important, what UTEP is lacking this decade and change is hiring solid assistant coaches (mainly a good salary pool to make solid hires) who are worth the money and can help the head coach I.E. coordinators who aren’t long time friends but actual guys who have something they’ve done recently on a resume. The HC hire is important, but having resources for solid assistant coaches instead of Chuck Veliz or a Price son is the biggest poverty struggle UTEP shows in my opinion, UTSA is kinda going through that this year after they lost their OC to Oregon.

850k for a dude that looks like a retarded Bill Parcells…..Jeebus H!

F U C K UTEP!
You want 6 universities to have a football team?

What's Kingsbury up to?
UTEP won’t drop football. At worst, there might be a scenario where they could drop to FCS, but that’s even far fetched.

So if UTEP were to drop football, adding baseball and men’s soccer wouldn’t do a damn thing. Ridiculous to even suggest fans would turn out for baseball and soccer games.
There are FBS teams in worse condition and Utep has had football 🏈 for over a hundred years. The people saying drop football need to give it a rest already. Shows they their frustrations have gone to their Brian! I'm not speaking about this years team anymore as I said, but yes I think what Utep needs is a change at AD and HC and hopefully Wilson start caring enough to make the tough decisions!

All of y’all are missing the biggest point and the biggest point of success in college football now a days.

Yes the head coach hire is important, what UTEP is lacking this decade and change is hiring solid assistant coaches (mainly a good salary pool to make solid hires) who are worth the money and can help the head coach I.E. coordinators who aren’t long time friends but actual guys who have something they’ve done recently on a resume. The HC hire is important, but having resources for solid assistant coaches instead of Chuck Veliz or a Price son is the biggest poverty struggle UTEP shows in my opinion, UTSA is kinda going through that this year after they lost their OC to Oregon.
That’s a very interesting point. I do agree that Dimel has made some trash hires but is it because he’s hooking up his boys or is it due to poverty? Or is it just the like HC job, we’re only appealing to guys on the way down.

First of all...nice call sign. I'm the other Miner fan out here...I dont post much though. I echo the same about way too many late nights wathcing this team - and other UTEP sports - just suck, national tv or not.
I iike the plan...make Dimel "clean up or put up with this mess" this year and move on next year. I'll chip in too for the buyout.

Reactions: Lil_Train
We all agree that Dimel is not the answer and he needs to go. I like the idea of bringing a young talented coordinator or a successful FCS coach with Texas ties. This program cannot continue on a downward spiral or it will eventually sink this program further. Not to mention we’re losing our fan base and they may never come back. One way to get rid of Dimel is to reassign him at the end of this season to a different area within the athletic department. Make him the director of fund raising or some other non coaching job. Who knows he may just quit on his own.

Young is fine but we need a proven winner. Someone who needs a second chance maybe, someone who is a power 5 bounce back like Rich Rod. Even Art Briles. We. Need. To. Win.

Reactions: Taco1977 and EPUTEP
Young is fine but we need a proven winner. Someone who needs a second chance maybe, someone who is a power 5 bounce back like Rich Rod. Even Art Briles. We. Need. To. Win.
I’m just not sold on bringing in some old fossil to coach this team. We bring in a guy like that we’re ultimately bringing in either damaged goods (which may work out a la Price) or a proven loser like Dimel.

I say we give a young guy the keys and let him go. Someone who has energy, who’s gonna hype these kids up, and who knows how to connect with the youth and can coach them up. I am sick of fossil Football… give me a guy who says “f*ck it and hangs up 35, even if we give up 42.

I'd love it if the Alums with money cared enough to help get the Miners over the top. I've always felt and even experienced before how El Paso will supporting a Winner. The city is starving for it and I don't think Senter sees that, because he's just not familiar with the good and loyal Miner fans of Far West Texas. That's why it's important for the Money Alums to step it up and demand better! I'm not sure of the details, but didn't the Alums help Colorado raise the money for Prime Time? Could they not do that to bring in Kingsbury and pay him 2 million a year. Even if he only stays for 3 years at least it'd get the ball running. It takes money to make money and tickets will sale themselves if Utep produces a consistent winner. I truly believe that!

I'd love it if the Alums with money cared enough to help get the Miners over the top. I've always felt and even experienced before how El Paso will supporting a Winner. The city is starving for it and I don't think Senter sees that, because he's just not familiar with the good and loyal Miner fans of Far West Texas. That's why it's important for the Money Alums to step it up and demand better! I'm not sure of the details, but didn't the Alums help Colorado raise the money for Prime Time? Could they not do that to bring in Kingsbury and pay him 2 million a year. Even if he only stays for 3 years at least it'd get the ball running. It takes money to make money and tickets will sale themselves if Utep produces a consistent winner. I truly believe that!
But can we as average fans expect people with money to prop this program up? Or should this be the responsibility of everyone? The majority of UTEP alum could care less about UTEP athletics.

Reactions: FedupMiner
But can we as average fans expect people with money to prop this program up? Or should this be the responsibility of everyone? The majority of UTEP alum could care less about UTEP athletics.
The responsibility of everyone comes when the commitment is made to better the product and we see results. At that point it falls on all Miner Fans to support, even if prices go up a little bit.

Are there still alums with money? I’m afraid most of the ones that would have cared have passed on.

No, what Guy? Lol If you're not part of the solution, then you're a part of the problem JS. I've experienced Awesome wins against Rice and Fresno St. with 50,000 rocking miner fans to win a share of the WAC Title that year. An Amazing Loud as Ballz Crowd taking Texas Tech to OT. Guaranteeing a bowl game by beating M. Tenn. St. All the way back to beating Air Force to get 10 wins in 88. So I've seen the potential.of Miner Fans and how much we 2ant a Winner to be proud of. If you haven't experienced any of these times then and aren't a Real Miner Fans, that explains why you wouldn't support even if we got a good coach and start winning consistently and that's ok 👋

That’s a very interesting point. I do agree that Dimel has made some trash hires but is it because he’s hooking up his boys or is it due to poverty? Or is it just the like HC job, we’re only appealing to guys on the way down.
Or Dimel only brings in yes-men.

No, what Guy? Lol If you're not part of the solution, then you're a part of the problem JS. I've experienced Awesome wins against Rice and Fresno St. with 50,000 rocking miner fans to win a share of the WAC Title that year. An Amazing Loud as Ballz Crowd taking Texas Tech to OT. Guaranteeing a bowl game by beating M. Tenn. St. All the way back to beating Air Force to get 10 wins in 88. So I've seen the potential.of Miner Fans and how much we 2ant a Winner to be proud of. If you haven't experienced any of these times then and aren't a Real Miner Fans, that explains why you wouldn't support even if we got a good coach and start winning consistently and that's ok 👋

Raising prices isn't the solution.

Besides Air Force, I was at those games. I've been buying season tickets for about 20 years and have donated $1,000's. I'm not part of the problem. How much do you donate?

Reactions: nattybry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT