ADVERTISEMENT

utep vs rice game thread

It's happened time and time again. We've watched as schools passed us by. NMSU is going to get into the MWC. They are focusing on football and that rebuild is way ahead of schedule. I thought by now somebody would wake up but we're still asleep at the wheel and short bus senter is going to drive us off a cliff.

It's happened time and time again. We've watched as schools passed us by. NMSU is going to get into the MWC. They are focusing on football and that rebuild is way ahead of schedule. I thought by now somebody would wake up but we're still asleep at the wheel and short bus senter is going to drive us off a cliff.
NMSU and/or UTEP won’t be added by the MWC unless they’re on life support like CUSA was last year.

We have seen Dimel over the last five years and have not seen the progress that we were all waiting for. Dimel took over a team that was depleted and has brought in good talent. However, bad play calling, poor clock management and a lack of execution continue to haunt this team. This is a coaching problem! I believe Dimel has peaked and won’t be able to take us to the next level. We need a coaching change and not allow this team to regress to the point we were five years ago, and go through another rebuild. We should be getting some CUSA money from the defectors that may give us funds to buy him out. We need a young, up and coming coordinator or FCS coach that can bring excitement to this team. It pains me to see teams like Utsa, Rice and Unt leave us in the dust. Change needs to happen before we we really tank.

Does anyone have the name of a possible replacement for Dimel? He did bring us up from terrible to mediocre, but as has been pointed out, he is unlikely to get us any higher than around 500. Who can we get to replace him?

Colby Carthel, GJ Kinne, or the guy from the booth who knew more about the UTEP offense than Dimel, Tom Herman.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Why does it matter? We've all made excellent suggestions and then have seen those suggestions go on to have successful times at their G5 school. In the end Senter will pick some random name out of a hat .

Got on a plane at 30-30 and just knew we'd blow it based on how the defense got beat the whole night! It was obvious that the aggressive rush was exposing the secondary, yet UTEP coached didn't learn their lesson. It sucks that Hardison went down, but Calvin made some big plays and If Utep had time, probably would've gotten this one to OT at least. This one is A. On coaching B. On lack of defense C. Not converting red zone trips into Td's and probably a whole bunch of other reasons we will have a losing season and not go Bowling. Next year Dimel and Hardison will be back and Smith will probably transfer. It's a hard reality that Utep fans should be used to, but still stinks. We are UTEP Football one of the worst FBS Football programs in history. We are a hopeful fan base as showed by the 1st game against N. Texas. However we are what we are and unless the new President makes Big changes, it will continue unfortunately. Sad Miner Fans yet again 😮‍💨

Reactions: T-6 Miner
After hearing the Dimel supporters lined up in masse on the post game radio show after the Boise game I am convinced that there is another quiet war brewing a la Tim Floyd style. What should have been a joyous victory was a Russian State TV style calling out of the all the "Dimel Haters". Some media personalities may think it was not big deal, "fans being passionate" but I found it disturbing in the fact of "Oh no! Here we go again!".

Senter has a ton of bridge building to do. What started as new promise before the UNT game could now be a point of no return for Dimel football.

Does anyone have the name of a possible replacement for Dimel? He did bring us up from terrible to mediocre, but as has been pointed out, he is unlikely to get us any higher than around 500. Who can we get to replace him?
Tom Herman, and there is probably smoke... He knows Texas, and will coach his team. I would love to see Graham Harrell, he also knows Texas and will run an exciting offense.

Kinne played at Gilmer HS while Jeff Traylor was there. That Traylor coaching tree, philosophy, and THSCA connections would be helpful!

It's gonna be someone from this list. Maybe Don Strock.

Unfortunately, some of those guys probably have jobs currently that pay well above what UTEP can pay (not that we as the fan base would want them)….being an assistant coach elsewhere is probably better than being the head football coach at UTEP. That is an issue I see with UTEP football.

My favorite College Coach is Tony Annese . Met him at clinics a few times. He is exceptional. High powered offenses, great recruiter, and dynamic personality. He is currently the Head Coach of Ferris State. He is 61 which is a negative but hey, D1 coaches are on a 5 year leash anyway.

My favorite College Coach is Tony Annese . Met him at clinics a few times. He is exceptional. High powered offenses, great recruiter, and dynamic personality. He is currently the Head Coach of Ferris State. He is 61 which is a negative but hey, D1 coaches are on a 5 year leash anyway.
A lot of today’s 60 year old coaches are yesterday’s 50 year olds.

(Dimel ain’t one of them)

Really good coach. Not sure he would leave the state of Michigan though.

Did Carthel make it the interviews the last time around? I know he wanted the job, just dk how far he got into the process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT