ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs UAB

All I wanna say is a few things....
1. Love the heart and hustle of this team
2. This team punches above it's weight class
3. The last 2 offensive plays were not good
4. I don't get why a time out wasn't called before a terrible shot by Hollins
5. We are gonna be tough out in the Conference Tournament once Kennedy is full strength

Just watched the last 10 minutes. Free throws and blocking out. Gotta do the little things to get over the hump. We are almost there.

That last shot was horrible.

JB has lost his offensive prowess. I hope he gets it back soon
I agree. Minus the MTSU game, we’re a tough out right now.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
When Bieniemy goes silent, he goes silent. He got away from what was working for him early on in the game. He was horrid from 3 today, but kept jacking it up anyway.
Yep. It was a tough one for JB offensively. I thought a lot of his shots were very well guarded by UAB; very high difficulty shots. Against that UAB zone, you have to make a better percentage of 3s to give yourself a chance.

Yep. It was a tough one for JB offensively. I thought a lot of his shots were very well guarded by UAB; very high difficulty shots. Against that UAB zone, you have to make a better percentage of 3s to give yourself a chance.
Yeah, UAB made things difficult for him. 4-17 from the floor, 1-7 from deep. He did miss some wide open look 3s too, tho.

Having Kennedy back will help, and hopefully Onyema will continue to provide good minutes. That would do wonders for our depth. There's just too much drop off when some of the other bench guys come in.
Oneyma is such a spark. Jamison couldn’t move him. I perhaps would have played him more in second half but I’m not the coach.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Yeah, UAB made things difficult for him. 4-17 from the floor, 1-7 from deep. He did miss some wide open look 3s too, tho.
Definitely. He missed two layups in the first half as well. The thing is we get so little production offensively from our 3/4/5 spots it makes us an almost exclusively guard oriented scoring team. Hollins had a good game offensively, with the exception of the last shot, but we got nearly nothing from TV or Sibley. On top of the poor offensive showing by our bigs, we also got dominated rebounding. Golding has to address that area if we are going to make a jump next year.

But, Walker was smoking hot. There were Miner defenders in his face and he still his canned his shots.

But, Walker was smoking hot. There were Miner defenders in his face and he still his canned his shots.
He definitely came up big when he needed to. He’s a clutch player. We made his night difficult though. Took him 18 shots to get those 22 points.

Well it was a good game against a tough team. Good to have a loud crowd tonight. After a good season of shooting free throws well, our free throws really hurt us tonight. Rebounding continues to kill us. Good to see KK back with a decent game. I felt that the way we handled that last UAB possession was bad. We let them burn 9 to 11 valuable seconds in a close game. We should have fouled a lot earlier in my opinion. Tough loss but the team played hard.

Well it was a good game against a tough team. Good to have a loud crowd tonight. After a good season of shooting free throws well, our free throws really hurt us tonight. Rebounding continues to kill us. Good to see KK back with a decent game. I felt that the way we handled that last UAB possession was bad. We let them burn 9 to 11 valuable seconds in a close game. We should have fouled a lot earlier in my opinion. Tough loss but the team played hard.
From my angle Boum appeared to be looking at the bench as to what to do.

Reactions: picks up
Bienemy pops called in during post game. Not to happy with criticism of his son and felt JB unfairly criticized by some fans but loved how they played tough against UAB. Omar Thomas called in as well. All feel UTEP a couple bigs from being CUSA top tier and love Golding’s work.

Just watched the game. Tough loss. First game where I think Golding got out coached. UAB started the second half with a game plan - get it inside - that they executed. Fouling their best ft shooter inside of 20 secs was dumb as Soule was on him with 4 fouls and this killed about 10 secs. Hollins is not the guy you want taking the three. Bienemy was disappointing. Kennedy looked great. Oneyema needs more minutes.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I know a strong big who can clear the boards is on our wishlist and we definitely have a great need. I would like to add a small quick guard who is a defensive demon/stopper type. UAB's little guy beat us up on both ends. I know his shooting killed us but he disrupted us on a couple of fast breaks and made it hard to rotate the ball. Would be nice to have a disrupter out front like him.

My wish list is for the skilled big that we all know we need, and a guard who shoots above 40% from 3, but who can create his own shot. If I’m being greedy, a 6’7”-6’8” forward who can go to the rim and crash the boards, would be nice too.

A good big and either one of the other two, and we’re a tourney team next year provided everyone stays.

My wish list is for the skilled big that we all know we need, and a guard who shoots above 40% from 3, but who can create his own shot. If I’m being greedy, a 6’7”-6’8” forward who can go to the rim and crash the boards, would be nice too.

A good big and either one of the other two, and we’re a tourney team next year provided everyone stays.
I've mentioned this previously, but I think a big guy with the skill set similar to USM's Isaih Moore, who transfered from St. John's, would be a nice fit for a Golding team. That big needs to be mobile enough to double on the high ball screens defensively. Offensively, he should be able to produce double figure scoring when needed. Finding this type of guy isn't easy, but if USM was able lure this type of player, so should Golding.

With regard to adding a smaller guard, I agree. I have to think that was the expectation when Golding brought in Giffa, which hasn't worked out. With regard to the 6' 8" forward, Golding did sign dos Anjos. While I see him as a contributor next year, I don't see rebounding at this level as a particular strength to his game. Golding has some good, experienced pieces in the back court next year, assuming everyone comes back. He has a real opportunity to get UTEP in a position to be a higher tier CUSA team next year if he can hit on even one interior impact player.

I know a strong big who can clear the boards is on our wishlist and we definitely have a great need. I would like to add a small quick guard who is a defensive demon/stopper type. UAB's little guy beat us up on both ends. I know his shooting killed us but he disrupted us on a couple of fast breaks and made it hard to rotate the ball. Would be nice to have a disrupter out front like him.
I think Agnew can fit the bill of the defensive stopper, but he needs to be healthy. He hasn't really been himself since being out so long.

I think somebody like Xavier Foster (or a skilled JC big that can rebound) with the additions of Evans and Dos Anjos could do the trick (granted everybody returns). Also Onyema with another year under his belt, or maybe even Maring or Kalu can step forward. I don't think we keep all of or bench bigs though.

If we retained Williams, seeing how well he's doing at Tech what do you think UTEP's record would be right now? I'd say 20-8 and 11-5 in conference. So not a huge difference, but squarely in as a top 4 seed in the conference tournament, a NIT team with a decent to good chance of getting auto bid.

Walker killed us, UTEP needs a consistent lock down defender. Then again, UTEP needs a lot more consistency in several aspects. FT hurt, but UTEP needs to get out of the mindset of coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Walker killed us, UTEP needs a consistent lock down defender. Then again, UTEP needs a lot more consistency in several aspects. FT hurt, but UTEP needs to get out of the mindset of coulda, shoulda, woulda.
UTEP was on him pretty good. He was "in the zone". If UTEP's d on him was that bad fans would've ripped the team, but it wasn't.

This was a hard fought fight against a good UAB team, but a beatable UAB team.

UTEP was on him pretty good. He was "in the zone". If UTEP's d on him was that bad fans would've ripped the team, but it wasn't.

This was a hard fought fight against a good UAB team, but a beatable UAB team.
Walker is a tough cover, as mentioned going into the game. As MinerFanatico mentioned, he scored 42 against MTSU, who has some good athletes on the perimeter; and has scored very well against others. Golding tried just about everyone possible to guard him, including Kennedy and Agnew. Walker was not just effective at making outside shots, but he was able to penetrate at will getting others easy buckets. He is another good example of the really good guards in CUSA via the portal.

I would take the defense we played on Walker any day. We were all over him and in his face much of the night. He did his best Westbrook impersonation by chunking up 18 shots to get his 22 points. Not much more we could have done against him.

He just happened to hit shots at the right time, when most needed. Also shot well from the ft line (6-7) and had some nice assists.

I would take the defense we played on Walker any day. We were all over him and in his face much of the night. He did his best Westbrook impersonation by chunking up 18 shots to get his 22 points. Not much more we could have done against him.

He just happened to hit shots at the right time, when most needed. Also shot well from the ft line (6-7) and had some nice assists.
Agree. I know we missed some freethrows, but to me the biggest problem was the offensive rebounds by UAB. The problem with this type of defense is that it is vulnerable for giving up second chances. Also, if the turnovers don't get generated, it is another problem. UAB had 11 turnovers in the first half, versus 6 in the second half. Pretty much the tale of the tape.

Agree. I know we missed some freethrows, but to me the biggest problem was the offensive rebounds by UAB. The problem with this type of defense is that it is vulnerable for giving up second chances. Also, if the turnovers don't get generated, it is another problem. UAB had 11 turnovers in the first half, versus 6 in the second half. Pretty much the tale of the tape.
Yep, totally agree. I think Golding’s plan is to mitigate the damage done by our lack of rebounding prowess by winning the turnover battle. UAB did commit over 6 turnovers more than their season average.

Interesting stat…UAB scored 15 points off of our 8 turnovers. We only scored 14 points off their 17 turnovers. In a strange way, we didn’t even win the turnover battle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT