ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs USM and some notes

That's is not true at all about every winning team getting support

Baylor is just outside the top 25.... played 16 th ranked tcu and only got 5000 for the game....

Interesting that they got more fans playing Southern University.

Would y'all talk about the game and stop bickering smh. Our defense was terrible but also USM were taking and making tough shots. We couldn't take advantage of our size and the spacing was terrible. Our offense is slow and predictable and we got out hustled. We can't blame players for the loss cause all signs point to bad coaching. Players wasn't prepared for the game and no adjustment. I hope this officially end all thoughts of rehiring Phil and the crew. We just gotta play to develop younger players and endure the season.

Reactions: axingfools1
The fact is if Floyd did make the Big Dance this year he would have said he was right all along. Anybody can say every year something great is going to happen.

Actually no I wouldn't have! I would not have passed any judgement until he had left utep because you can't argue anything based off one piece of the pie.....

Actually no I wouldn't have! I would not have passed any judgement until he had left utep because you can't argue anything based off one piece of the pie.....

Didn't you just state like in November that Floyd was an amazing coach?

I think he is a great coach just for whatever reason couldn't make it work here... I think he just lost the ability to connect with today's player because he was a good x and o's coach

I think he is a great coach just for whatever reason couldn't make it work here... I think he just lost the ability to connect with today's player because he was a good x and o's coach

So you admit he wasn't a great coach at UTEP?

I said he didn't end up working out at utep after he quit and that I was wrong... did you not see my post about 8 posts ago?

Would y'all talk about the game and stop bickering smh. Our defense was terrible but also USM were taking and making tough shots. We couldn't take advantage of our size and the spacing was terrible. Our offense is slow and predictable and we got out hustled. We can't blame players for the loss cause all signs point to bad coaching. Players wasn't prepared for the game and no adjustment. I hope this officially end all thoughts of rehiring Phil and the crew. We just gotta play to develop younger players and endure the season.
So true.

Also Omega and PT have unfortunately regressed this year. They were supposed to be our star players. Matt has been injury prone, Jones flew the coop and Frazier is probably long gone to China or Europe already. Our offense is stagnant on set plays and both of our point guards are freshman. This is mostly if not all on coaching. Johnson has nothing to lose now. I say let the young guys run and make it fun to score and play defense.

Can you say 'overcoaching'. Its hard for college players to flourish in some programs because the coaches keep such a tight reign on them. A few players actually regress. Some just want to get the hell out. Some stay and do well. Floyd is a good example of this. He IS a good Xs and Os coach and is extremely knowledgable, but he didn't work out at UTEP because 1) he couldn't get high level players to make him look good with his ever changing game plans and 2) the majority of the decent players wanted to leave. In addition, Floyd blamed everybody but himself. His breakout year should have been 2014-15. He lauded that team even after M.Moore was kicked out the year prior. He didn't want to give up and tried for a 2nd rotation this year, but that fell apart too. Johnson is just trying to pick up the peices but he doesn't know any different.

All I know is I hope we keep a lot of our freshmen class... because if not we will be in the same place as our football team

All I know is I hope we keep a lot of our freshmen class... because if not we will be in the same place as our football team
Honestly, I think we will be very close to the depths we have fallen to in football even if all the freshmen return next year. This is a very bad team this year, and we are losing guys who have played a ton off of this year's mediocre team. On top of that, I don't really see any potential all conference type talent with any of the new guys. I don't see any of the three current recruits who signed early, as immediate contributors either. In order to at least be semi-competitive next year, the new coach would need to bring in multiple impact players. With the very late start in recruiting due to hire date, that will be an even bigger challenge. In other words, I would be shocked to see us .500 next year, and potentially much worse than that. Like football, there is a ton of work to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucson_Miner
El Paso 777 you have to give it to Purplefire for admitting his mistake and owning up to it. Some on here will never do that and we know who we are talking about. You cannot dispute that Purple has a great attitude and those are the fans that we need to help bring our programs back.
This is easily the worst state of our basketball program in the 45 years that I have been watching them. There were losing seasons, but at least there was hope. I don't see any hope here.
We can thank Stull, Natalicio, Floyd, Kugler, and the Zombies on here that created the perfect storm for it. Hopefully this is a lesson to most and they don't let history repeat itself.
I am under the belief that we now need to try and be positive as almost all are on the same page now, and try to find a solution. Some say our importance is zero, but I do not believe that. I have voiced tremendous displeasure for this program and now that we have almost cleaned house completely, I am hopeful that we are now on the right track.

El Paso 777 you have to give it to Purplefire for admitting his mistake and owning up to it. Some on here will never do that and we know who we are talking about. You cannot dispute that Purple has a great attitude and those are the fans that we need to help bring our programs back.
This is easily the worst state of our basketball program in the 45 years that I have been watching them. There were losing seasons, but at least there was hope. I don't see any hope here.
We can thank Stull, Natalicio, Floyd, Kugler, and the Zombies on here that created the perfect storm for it. Hopefully this is a lesson to most and they don't let history repeat itself.
I am under the belief that we now need to try and be positive as almost all are on the same page now, and try to find a solution. Some say our importance is zero, but I do not believe that. I have voiced tremendous displeasure for this program and now that we have almost cleaned house completely, I am hopeful that we are now on the right track.

I agree, I can’t think of a time where there has been such low morale surrounding basketball and such little interest in UTEP athletes. When I talk to people about UTEP they give me a look like ‘who cares?’

Not only do I think the people you mentioned ruined UTEP athletics, but it seems like El Paso just isn’t a sports city anymore.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I agree, I can’t think of a time where there has been such low morale surrounding basketball and such little interest in UTEP athletes. When I talk to people about UTEP they give me a look like ‘who cares?’

Not only do I think the people you mentioned ruined UTEP athletics, but it seems like El Paso just isn’t a sports city anymore.

I think it is. El Paso has fallen in love with Chihuahua's. If you disparage the Cowboy's, the church pastor will kick you butt. Golfing has become very popular in El Paso. Hunting (yes, hunting. It is a sport). has become very, very popular with the the Gen X'er's here and influx of soldiers to Fort Bliss. It's just not grandpa's past time. High school football is much more competitive and HS stadiums appear to me more full. Soccer, what can you say about soccer?

UTEP football and basketball have been such a downer I believe it's probably lowered community morale. Watching UTEP getting the butts handed to them by a not so good Doc Sadler team crushed my spirits. It's always tough playing in Hattiesburg but damn last night was ugly to watch.

The 2002-03 UTEP sports year was equally as bad. It was BGs first year and Nord was coming back for his final season. At least you could say basketball had some hope because you could tell there was something in BG.

Now, there's some hope, not a lot of excitement in the Dimel hire and bball is TBD. Senter needs to knock it out of the ducking park with Floyd's successor. Hiring an old, retread, isn't going to do it.

Reactions: El Paso 777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT