ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Will Not Accept a Bid to the CBI or CIT

Normally, I'd say they shouldn't even do the NIT. Lord knows how bad we'll look against quality teams (again).

I do however feel for Lang, JWash, and Coop. If they want to play, then go for it. Lang's work ethic and and JWash's selfless defensive efforts have earned them the right to decide whether or not to continue playing for something. They have, if nothing else, given their blood, sweat, and tears for this program.

Wish them all the luck with whatever comes...

Honestly, I think that is a mistake, we shouldn't act entitled and act like we deserve better because our actual play is that of a CBI level team. I don't get all these programs being snobs and rejecting the CBI, no one rejects a bowl bid, it's actually harder to earn a CBI bid than it is to earn a bowl bid.

Originally posted by minermx07:
Honestly, I think that is a mistake, we shouldn't act entitled and act like we deserve better because our actual play is that of a CBI level team. I don't get all these programs being snobs and rejecting the CBI, no one rejects a bowl bid, it's actually harder to earn a CBI bid than it is to earn a bowl bid.
Its not harder to make the cbi than to make a bowl game not even close. You dont earn a bid to the cbi you pay to play. Anyone can play in the cbi if they pay for it. The Oregon state team that beat us in the finals was 14-17. Last year the Fresno team that beat us was 17-16. Its not an accomplishment to be in the cbi. If you have money you can play. Its a pointless tournament.

I was basing my argument based on the fact that while around 50% of division 1 programs receive bowl invitations, only about 33% of division 1 basketball programs receive NCAA or NIT invitations. I don't mind (obviously not my first choice) being in the CBI, why not play? Make the best of it, get some extra practice in, some extra experience, and play some "decentish" teams.

The "extra practice" idea is so cliche, and has never proven to improve a team for the following season. Maybe if 3 of our starters weren't leaving, and we didn't have to build all new chemistry, that concept might hold a little water, but probably not even then.

I agree with you on this one...NIT or nothing this season (and the NIT looks like a real longshot).

I think the info page of the tournament provides some pretty good info on why the tournament might be beneficial. If the tournament is good enough for Shaka Smart and Bradley Stevens, why not for us?

http://www.gazellegroup.com/pdf/cbi15.pdf

Everyone out there screaming we shouldn't settle are now mad because floyd is doing exactly that? Not settling for a terrible tournament? He is telling his players either get your ass working and let's go or we aren't going anywhere.... I like it!!

I disagree Purplefire, I'd rather have the attitude that we'd compete anywhere against anyone. For me, it's quitting. I remember a story from the Gillispie years, UTEP was down 30 in his first year and he'd yell at the players not to look at the scoreboard and just think about competing and playing hard. Similarly, the year he turned it around, he'd yell at them when they were up 30 for the same reason. Gillispie didn't care about the circumstances, the other team, or the stakes, he wanted to win and the players to compete. Floyd, on the other hand, doesn't want to compete anymore if the results aren't to his liking. I think those attitudes filter down to the players.

In my opinion, success comes only when the management stops obsessing with the results and starts thinking about the process. These guys play up to competition, they play down to competition, they're undisciplined in defense and SCARED on offense, I wish the staff could use this time to address that a little.

VCU going from the CBI to the Final Four might be some good evidence.
I can't imagine playing in the CBI had much at all to do with VCU going to the Final Four the following year. I can't prove anything, nor can the opposite be proven. While I'm completely down on CTF, I respect his decision to not pay to play. I honestly don't think much would come of it from this Miner team. They are too damn streaky and can lose to about anyone on any given night. In my opinion it is not quitting to not play in a tourney you never agreed to play in, in the first place. Talk about limiting our late recruiting options. If we happen to lose to some no name college, which is absolutely a very real possibility, we likely could lose a recruit who is strongly considering coming to UTEP. I just can't see the benefits outweighing the cost.

Originally posted by tbleslie:

VCU going from the CBI to the Final Four might be some good evidence.
I can't imagine playing in the CBI had much at all to do with VCU going to the Final Four the following year. I can't prove anything, nor can the opposite be proven. While I'm completely down on CTF, I respect his decision to not pay to play. I honestly don't think much would come of it from this Miner team. They are too damn streaky and can lose to about anyone on any given night. In my opinion it is not quitting to not play in a tourney you never agreed to play in, in the first place. Talk about limiting our late recruiting options. If we happen to lose to some no name college, which is absolutely a very real possibility, we likely could lose a recruit who is strongly considering coming to UTEP. I just can't see the benefits outweighing the cost.
UTEP played in the CBI in 2008 and 2009 and their records increased each year. Just saying.

Hey minermx I totally agree with you!! I think they should play anywhere just pointing out the fact that people try to have everything both ways!

But let's put this in context. UTEP will lose 3 of 5 starters next year. Because of that, playing in the CBI or CIT wouldn't be an extension of next year. There would be no chemistry to build from. When a team loses 60% of it's starters, pretty much all new chemistry has to be formed. The guys returning for next season could probably get into sync just as much by playing pickup games. Unless you sit the 3 seniors, which wouldn't happen, there's not much to build off of. Again, just my opinion.

But let's put this in context. UTEP will lose 3 of 5 starters next year. Because of that, playing in the CBI or CIT wouldn't be an extension of next year. There would be no chemistry to build from. When a team loses 60% of it's starters, pretty much all new chemistry has to be formed. The guys returning for next season could probably get into sync just as much by playing pickup games. Unless you sit the 3 seniors, which wouldn't happen, there's not much to build off of. Again, just my opinion.
But does it really hurt to play in the CBI? I really don't think there is anything negative about extending the season.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

But does it really hurt to play in the CBI? I really don't think there is anything negative about extending the season.
Well tell me how you think it helps. What is there to gain from playing? Why prolong the agony and frustration of a season that has taken a wrong turn? I just don't see the point.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Well tell me how you think it helps. What is there to gain from playing? Why prolong the agony and frustration of a season that has taken a wrong turn? I just don't see the point.
I think any game experience helps and if UTEP could win a few games it would give them confidence.

The only thing I think it will help is some of the younger guys playing .... Give them an idea of postseason...see how they have to improve...

Yes. Well. This thread is now moot. More importantly, it seems to me that the NIT is more relevant than the NCAA, considering the teams that were picked for the NCAA that perhaps, should not have been. I am actually proud that we are NIT bound along with ODU, Temple, Colorado State. I am, however, an admitted 'homerette'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT