ADVERTISEMENT

Time to switch focus a bit. Utep Basketball Predictions...Go!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
We're closing in on Goldings 3rd year and expectations should be set. This year I'd like to see us challenge for the CUSA title at least top 3 and at minimum NIT bid. Golding has easily his most experienced and athletic team here at Utep. Hebb's eligibility will be huge in determining how well this team will shoot. The 5 is still a question with Kalu and Hamilton. We have good size guards that can create and rebound. Our wings are capable defenders and rebounders, but will they be able to score? I expect the defense to be elite in year 3 under Golding. The offense will struggle early though. My prediction 20-22 wins, just miss NIT invite and settle for whatever other after season tournament wants us. I hope for more of course, but that's my early prediction.

We're closing in on Goldings 3rd year and expectations should be set. This year I'd like to see us challenge for the CUSA title at least top 3 and at minimum NIT bid. Golding has easily his most experienced and athletic team here at Utep. Hebb's eligibility will be huge in determining how well this team will shoot. The 5 is still a question with Kalu and Hamilton. We have good size guards that can create and rebound. Our wings are capable defenders and rebounders, but will they be able to score? I expect the defense to be elite in year 3 under Golding. The offense will struggle early though. My prediction 20-22 wins, just miss NIT invite and settle for whatever other after season tournament wants us. I hope for more of course, but that's my early prediction.
While I too hope for more, your prediction sounds spot on to me.

To realistically secure a spot in the NIT, UTEP would likely require a minimum of 27 wins, especially given the perceived weaknesses in our out-of-conference schedule and the unfavorable perception of the new CUSA basketball landscape.

Unfortunately, it seems that even this modest goal of 20-22 wins might not be attainable. Realistically, I anticipate around 18 wins, and a finish just outside the top 3. A somewhat underwhelming achievement.

Hebb's eligibility will be huge in determining how well this team will shoot.
I have some questions here. Have you seen him play? If yes, which games? Where have you seen he was expected to be anything more than a role player? Why would a guy not getting starting minutes determine how well this team will shoot?

The key games for UTEP to make the NCAA/NIT:
UCSB
Vs Cal
Other So Cal game
At Oregon

Go 0-4 or 1-3 and an at-large bid is out of the question unless they run the table after the Oregon game and then lose in the CUSA championship.

Others:
At LMU
At ACU
Sun Bowl Champ
Seattle

UTEP needs to go 4-0 or 3-1 in these games to have a realistic shot at the NIT. Assuming they have a 11-5 or better conference record and don’t lose in the 1st round of the CUSAT.

I have some questions here. Have you seen him play? If yes, which games? Where have you seen he was expected to be anything more than a role player? Why would a guy not getting starting minutes determine how well this team will shoot?
I have heard enough from those inside the program that he can be a Chris Craig type spot up shooter, which would definitely help the shooting. That in itself would be a great asset. Even if he only avg's 6-8 pts a game and 2-3 three pointers a game and plays 20 min that's a big help. I think it'll be a a major factor in that area, but not necessarily the be all to end all if he's not available.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I think the Miners will get to 20, with 3 being against inferior competition. Not good enough for the resources UTEP puts into the program, but good enough for Senter and clueless fans.

I have heard enough from those inside the program that he can be a Chris Craig type spot up shooter, which would definitely help the shooting. That in itself would be a great asset. Even if he only avg's 6-8 pts a game and 2-3 three pointers a game and plays 20 min that's a big help. I think it'll be a a major factor in that area, but not necessarily the be all to end all if he's not available.
From what I have heard, a waiver is not likely for Hebb. The NCAA has cracked down on approving second D1 transfer waivers.

I had more hope for the football team than I did the basketball team. Local media is hyping up the basketball team again. Golding going on about having depth. He called last years team deep too.

I lost a lot of confidence in Golding last year. The team peaked in December and stagnated/regressed as the season progressed. Atleast they played a lot of close games, but the team lacked talent. Hardy should not be starting... there is a reason he came off the bench at Southern Miss.

I expect a similar finish to last season, maybe worse. 14 or so wins with major struggles in conference.

I will say that Golding seems to atleast be improving in his recruiting. But now I want to see him actually coach a team up and watch a team actually improve as a season progresses under him.

Not sure what to expect from basketball, hopefully they surprise us... Golding, needs to prove it... Sure is energetic, but that only goes so far. Can he "truly" coach them up, since they are not big time stars. Bring back Barbee... Too soon? Hell, let's go with Doc! haha jk

Reactions: EPUTEP and nattybry
I had more hope for the football team than I did the basketball team. Local media is hyping up the basketball team again. Golding going on about having depth. He called last years team deep too.

I lost a lot of confidence in Golding last year. The team peaked in December and stagnated/regressed as the season progressed. Atleast they played a lot of close games, but the team lacked talent. Hardy should not be starting... there is a reason he came off the bench at Southern Miss.

I expect a similar finish to last season, maybe worse. 14 or so wins with major struggles in conference.

I will say that Golding seems to atleast be improving in his recruiting. But now I want to see him actually coach a team up and watch a team actually improve as a season progresses under him.
I think the CUSA preseason poll is probably where I would pick them as well (fifth place), which is disappointing in Golding's 3rd season with a bunch of returnees coming back. I still have alot of the same question marks from last year. Point guard is still a question mark but for different reasons than last year, and the loss of Onyema hurts down low. I have heard good things on Camper and Jones, but neither has played a D1 game. I think the defense will be better, but the offense will need to find a way to be more efficient, with a group of guys that aren't. That's clearly on Golding.

I think the CUSA preseason poll is probably where I would pick them as well (fifth place), which is disappointing in Golding's 3rd season with a bunch of returnees coming back. I still have alot of the same question marks from last year. Point guard is still a question mark but for different reasons than last year, and the loss of Onyema hurts down low. I have heard good things on Camper and Jones, but neither has played a D1 game. I think the defense will be better, but the offense will need to find a way to be more efficient, with a group of guys that aren't. That's clearly on Golding.
I agree. Imo, Coach Golding's most formidable roster was in his first year, and even then, he could only manage 20 wins. I'm skeptical that CUSA4.0 will provide as many straightforward victories as the initial schedule did, given that nine out of those 11 conference wins were against teams ranked below 200th place - even as low as 338. Can we expect CUSA4.0 to have a similar number of weak teams and games for Golding to capitalize on? Based on last year’s ESPN BPI rankings there’s only 3 teams in CUSA4.0 ranked in the 200s. UTEP, of course, FIU and JSU. The conference lost its big dogs but also replaced most of their bottom feeders with solid mid tier teams. This will be a difficult conference to call.

Lindy's basketball magazine has UTEP predicted fourth in conference. They should be able to reach that.

Good thread natty! UTEP will finish fourth in the league. NIT and NCAA still a work in progress for the future.

I'm expecting a productive year from Hamilton and a break out year from Kalu. It may be vice versa because Hamilton had good feet and while he lost weight, did he build strength/muscle? Kalu is barrel chested and strong but can he provide more points in the paint? I realize I'm a minority on here but I like the schedule. LMU and USCB are good matchup's but I'm bias to west coast ball. TAMU-CC is a solid matchup. I have no clue what kind of team Seattle will be but Cam Tyson is predicted to be POTY for the WAC then UTEP goes to Oregon. Chicago State is a head scratcher but they did beat UTEP in 2006 in Barbee's first year. UTEP fans were pissed despite Barbee only arriving a few short months prior.

Two of the best mid majors joined CUSA: Lutz and Hooten.

Steve Lutz. Remember that name. The new WKU coach is going to piss off Miner fans because he will find success during his first year. Golding won 20 his first year but that was not good enough for Miner fans. Liberty and MTSU will be battling WKU for tops in CUSA. MTSU is the pre-season favorite but I just don't see them beating Liberty and WKU/MTSU rivalry goes either way.

So realistically UTEP can potentially finish fourth. Who UTEP should beat in conference? UTEP better clobber JSU. You all thought UTEP was tough to watch last year? JSU is worse. JSU is the new UAB of CUSA: Money and attention goes to football and it shows as compared to UAB who competed for CUSA every year with limited spending. NMSU will be like Terry's first year, warrior-like transfer starting five but no bench, but they will steal a few conference games. UTEP should handle NMSU...I said "should" because this is not middle school basketball, you need a good bench to finish and win. UTEP should beat La Tech. Why? The Miner's thorn in their side Cobe Williams transferred to Tulsa (along with Keaston Willis). Jeremy Ballard at FIU has struggled, even through life as he lost his parents fairly recently, but he has to be the Dana Dimel of CUSA: Struggles to win. Worse, he lost his top player to Auburn earlier this year. SHSU lost their best weapon as Coach Hooten shocked many and took the job at total rebuild NMSU. They have pre season all CUSA Huefner but Coach Hooten (and Lutz) was one of the best mid majors in the NCAA.

18-20 wins is achievable but expectations are always high for UTEP basketball.

Last edited:
All that sounds good. Just want to point out that UAB throws a lot of money into basketball. Number #1 budget and spending in CUSA 3.0. Hopefully JSU does that too.

UTEP had Dinner at the Don the other day. Guess it’s in some room and not the actual court. Very few young fans there.

UTEP had Dinner at the Don the other day. Guess it’s in some room and not the actual court. Very few young fans there.

Looks to be a little more exciting this year around both teams especially with Keitha back. I'll admit EP is a Basketball town due to Haskins. Football has always been a struggle. I really hope we're all surprised and this team makes a run at the NCAA, but not sure Golding is quite there yet.

Reactions: shyminer81
I've asked this before with no responses or comments. Somewhere I watched a video from one the EP television stations of a practice and the background was an exceptionally large guy wearing #55. The website roster has nobody with that #. Anyone know who it is?

What makes you think our D will be elite? Only one reason I can think of that might make our defense looks somewhat capable is that we're in a horribly watered down conference where all teams pretty much suck including us.
The conference in Basketball isn't really worse than before to be honest, but that's not the point I'm explaining at the time and am not going down that rabbit hole with you. I base my comment on knowing what Goldings focus as a coach is and having some of his players back to run his defense, I base it on the length at guard and the wings, I base it on this being Goldings 3rd year and him being able to have his culture start showing. That is what I base my opinion on. That's fine if you disagree, I don't really care and if I'm wrong, so be it, but that's my thoughts. Problem will be more on the offensive side of the ball as has already been stated.

CUSA was better last year than they have been in a while. But three of the better teams departed.
The conference could continue to be better than it has been if every team plays up to its potential. If NMSU hadn't imploded last year, the improvement would be certain. Now they are in rebuild mold. It may be another season or two before we see it. They do have a good coach on board, which is heartening. Another positive is Kennesaw State joining us next season. They'll improve the conference as a whole. We have something to look forward to in basketball.

From what I have heard, a waiver is not likely for Hebb. The NCAA has cracked down on approving second D1 transfer waivers.
Hey Lil, I'm curious that Baylor Hebb is so high on your list. His high school resume is impressive for sure, but his college stats are rather unimpressive. Curious why you think he could be so vital.
When should we expect to hear from the NCAA?

Hey Lil, I'm curious that Baylor Hebb is so high on your list. His high school resume is impressive for sure, but his college stats are rather unimpressive. Curious why you think he could be so vital.
When should we expect to hear from the NCAA?
I'm not sure Hebb is a guy that I would consider vital, but he potentially provides experience and depth to an untested group of guys behind Hardy and Powell. He is probably the best shooter on the team, which could really use a guy who can knock down some shots; and may be able to provide some help at the point. I think he has a better shot at having an impact at this level as well, and may be a better fit. See a guy like Otis Frazier.

Not sure on the waiver. One guy mentioned he heard the NCAA already denied it, and UTEP is appealing; but that is unconfirmed.

Last edited:
CUSA was better last year than they have been in a while. But three of the better teams departed.
The conference could continue to be better than it has been if every team plays up to its potential. If NMSU hadn't imploded last year, the improvement would be certain. Now they are in rebuild mold. It may be another season or two before we see it. They do have a good coach on board, which is heartening. Another positive is Kennesaw State joining us next season. They'll improve the conference as a whole. We have something to look forward to in basketball.
Yep the conference keeps giving UTEP a chance to rise up, but we just keep crapping on ourselves.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Do you get the impression that UTEP's athletics administration can't seem to get out of its own way? They either can't or won't do anything that will positively affect sports at UTEP. This can be a real bummer.

Do you get the impression that UTEP's athletics administration can't seem to get out of its own way? They either can't or won't do anything that will positively affect sports at UTEP. This can be a real bummer.
UTEP is finally in a conference that they should be competing in... resources isn't an excuse anymore as utpe has a top 3-4 overall budget. So if they aren't finishing top 3 or 4 in all money making sports, they are disappointing.

UTEP is finally in a conference that they should be competing in... resources isn't an excuse anymore as utpe has a top 3-4 overall budget. So if they aren't finishing top 3 or 4 in all money making sports, they are disappointing.
Yes, I believe we’ll be #2 behind Liberty. We were #2 behind UAB in the previous version of CUSA. Hopefully we don’t get more of the same.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT