ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Zay take on Minerdigs

There are 5 levels of Miner fans (5th being local media. Yes, referral to the “5th Estate”).

The Good: Supporters who held season tickets for years and years and endure the crap.

The Bad: Minerdigs, KYYOTE’s, & other CUSA board/forum Miner fans & followers. We want the best for UTEP, but question UTEP’s leadership daily in electronic format. Fans who attend some games; “some” is open too interpretation. Hot n’ cold fans can fall in here. But I call it “the bad” is because we fight each other and it can spill over publicly on radio, print media and social media.

The Ugly: UTEP major revenue sports can have a successful season, academic ranking in major news mags but no matter, “UTEP will always suck”. They did attend UTEP, didn’t finish, had to transfer to UTEP and/or for whatever reason hate UTEP but yet they follow UTEP. They are professionals, work in local media, or whoever.

The indifferent: Those (in El Paso and/or alumni in town) that can care less about UTEP. They go to the tailgate when UTEP is doing well but will NOT buy a ticket. The UTEP Athletics corporate sponsor areas are full of these people. Free beer, talk shop, flirt, poop talk, then they go home or to a Mesa Street bar without spending a dime towards a ticket. The point is to attend the game, inside.

The local 5th Estate: God bless the (local sports) media. D1 institutions need them & vice versa. There are some who do their best to keep the public informed and “chase the story” and there are some who just want the field/arena floor pass and free lunch or dinner. It was fun watching former Coach Kugler strike fear in them, but then again they were so afraid the public didn’t get the full scope of Kugler’s failures or Floyd for that matter. When UTEP is winning it’s all “peaches & cream” but when there are losing runs or breakdowns (blowing 21+ leads or failure to win one game to get bowl eligible, total mental breakdowns in basketball games) UTEP athletics closes ranks and the local media is so anemic (lack of inside sources) they don’t get the full story.

Reactions: 1KiddMiner
There are 5 levels of Miner fans (5th being local media. Yes, referral to the “5th Estate”).

The Good: Supporters who held season tickets for years and years and endure the crap.

The Bad: Minerdigs, KYYOTE’s, & other CUSA board/forum Miner fans & followers. We want the best for UTEP, but question UTEP’s leadership daily in electronic format. Fans who attend some games; “some” is open too interpretation. Hot n’ cold fans can fall in here. But I call it “the bad” is because we fight each other and it can spill over publicly on radio, print media and social media.

The Ugly: UTEP major revenue sports can have a successful season, academic ranking in major news mags but no matter, “UTEP will always suck”. They did attend UTEP, didn’t finish, had to transfer to UTEP and/or for whatever reason hate UTEP but yet they follow UTEP. They are professionals, work in local media, or whoever.

The indifferent: Those (in El Paso and/or alumni in town) that can care less about UTEP. They go to the tailgate when UTEP is doing well but will NOT buy a ticket. The UTEP Athletics corporate sponsor areas are full of these people. Free beer, talk shop, flirt, poop talk, then they go home or to a Mesa Street bar without spending a dime towards a ticket. The point is to attend the game, inside.

The local 5th Estate: God bless the (local sports) media. D1 institutions need them & vice versa. There are some who do their best to keep the public informed and “chase the story” and there are some who just want the field/arena floor pass and free lunch or dinner. It was fun watching former Coach Kugler strike fear in them, but then again they were so afraid the public didn’t get the full scope of Kugler’s failures or Floyd for that matter. When UTEP is winning it’s all “peaches & cream” but when there are losing runs or breakdowns (blowing 21+ leads or failure to win one game to get bowl eligible, total mental breakdowns in basketball games) UTEP athletics closes ranks and the local media is so anemic (lack of inside sources) they don’t get the full story.
Can we get T-shirts made?

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
He only has 1200 followers. His posts dont get much response. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a social media influencer.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
He's also a 16 year old Hanks student. I love his passion, but he is blind and trying to develop something from ground zero. I believe that while he may love UTEP, his desire is to make money off social media. (not that I blame him) He is gaining some traction from Kappy by being on Sportstalk regularly, and he recently launched a website. Making fun of us doesn't help his cause.

He has ZERO clue what it's REALLY like to be a fan and suffer thru this garbage.

He's also a 16 year old Hanks student. I love his passion, but he is blind and trying to develop something from ground zero. I believe that while he may love UTEP, his desire is to make money off social media. (not that I blame him) He is gaining some traction from Kappy by being on Sportstalk regularly, and he recently launched a website. Making fun of us doesn't help his cause.

He has ZERO clue what it's REALLY like to be a fan and suffer thru this garbage.
Probably should pick a successful team with a large fan base if he wants to make money off of social influencing. He's probably the only one at Hanks that cares about utep sports.

where did the assumption that i go to hanks start lol

also, i probably have no clue what it's like to really be a fan and suffer, but i will say that since 2011 (my first memory as a utep fan), UTEP has had little to no success in much sports. No bowl wins, no tourney wins, nothing that has real meaning. watching your favorite team be perennially bad does build a lot of character, especially for a child lol

where did the assumption that i go to hanks start lol

also, i probably have no clue what it's like to really be a fan and suffer, but i will say that since 2011 (my first memory as a utep fan), UTEP has had little to no success in much sports. No bowl wins, no tourney wins, nothing that has real meaning. watching your favorite team be perennially bad does build a lot of character, especially for a child lol
Welcome. The way you get initiated is you sh*t on fili.

Give it another 20+ years of nothing to show for. I think my generation of fans has had it the worse. At least some of the older fans got to see a couple of tournament runs.
Kids that are 16 were 6 years old when CUSA 3.0 started. So people in that age range, can’t bitch about the current conference and schedules. They are used to WKU, MTSU, and LaTech.

Any fan who was a UTEP fan in the mid 90s or before, has seen many, many schools leave UTEP behind and remembers when “good” teams were on the conference schedule. I am in that group and it’s “embarrassing” to see UTEP in a conference with Liberty. Then knowing, that they will probably start kicking our ass at all sports soon.

Well, at least zay is not saying he was there for either of UTEP’s win against BYU, LOL.

The infamous “hand job” was our greatest glory the last several years. Zay needs to do an in depth on that famous Miner moment.

I think some of you are coming at Zay a little harsh. I don't agree with all of his takes but he's doing something that a lot of UTEP fans aren't with his content. Yes, it is true that he hasn't been a fan for a long time but at least he is a fan. He's one of a very few people that are UTEP fans in his age group. I think discounting his experiences as a UTEP fan is poor form but that's just me. Most of us have unquestionably lived through more bad times than him but he can't help his age.

With that said, keep doing what you do Zay. You're a great UTEP fan in my book.

I welcome Zay and his take. I love his passion for all things UTEP sports (both men's and women's). Some of us don't post often because of all the residual BS that some spew on this board. I've been on here since Darren put it together and plan on continuing. I hope I can witness another NCAA basketball tournament run or a quality bowl win before I pass. Keep it up Zay!

GO MINERS!

I welcome Zay and his take. I love his passion for all things UTEP sports (both men's and women's). Some of us don't post often because of all the residual BS that some spew on this board. I've been on here since Darren put it together and plan on continuing. I hope I can witness another NCAA basketball tournament run or a quality bowl win before I pass. Keep it up Zay!

GO MINERS!
Well put.

However, Darren was a full grown big boy when he started this Digs. Zay is a kid but learning quickly and provides insights during the season.

I will admit DH was absolutely fearless when UTEP was on his beat; too fearless at times. Stull hated this site.

I'll never forget once watching local news when Darren did go to cover a Kugler press conference one Monday morning after a UTEP loss on previous Saturday night and I will never forget Kug's face turn red and his jugular pop up like a Rand McNally highway map....LOL!

Well put.

However, Darren was a full grown big boy when he started this Digs. Zay is a kid but learning quickly and provides insights during the season.

I will admit DH was absolutely fearless when UTEP was on his beat; too fearless at times. Stull hated this site.

I'll never forget once watching local news when Darren did go to cover a Kugler press conference one Monday morning after a UTEP loss on previous Saturday night and I will never forget Kug's face turn red and his jugular pop up like a Rand McNally highway map....LOL!
This is why utep needs to be challenged way more. Wow. Now, digital challenge really means nothing. We need people in the media to challenge them.

Zay is what is needed for this program, hopefully, his enthusiasm will rub off, I would suggest he become a member and contributor to Kyyotes Den as well.
Winning is the only cure. Otherwise other kids just laugh at you.

Had no idea kyyotesden was still alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Hmm mostly everything that has been talked about on here. Nothing new.

CUSA is a terrible fit for utep and utep needs to do whatever it can to get out. Which includes committing to stronger athletics.
Unfortunately, almost every conference around is a terrible fit for UTEP. The “best” of the bunch would be the WAC, but they don’t play FBS football. Obviously the MWC would be the best, but they would only take UTEP when they’re on life support.

Since NMSU, Liberty, BYU, and to some extent Idaho are no longer independent, the need for a football conference can’t be ignored. Dropping to FCS would be desirable to some, but probably wouldn’t fly.

So it’s MWC or nothing really. SBC and AAC have a plethora of available teams east of Dallas to choose from. They’re not taking UTEP. Same with the MAC.

Unfortunately, almost every conference around is a terrible fit for UTEP. The “best” of the bunch would be the WAC, but they don’t play FBS football. Obviously the MWC would be the best, but they would only take UTEP when they’re on life support.

Since NMSU, Liberty, BYU, and to some extent Idaho are no longer independent, the need for a football conference can’t be ignored. Dropping to FCS would be desirable to some, but probably wouldn’t fly.

So it’s MWC or nothing really. SBC and AAC have a plethora of available teams east of Dallas to choose from. They’re not taking UTEP. Same with the MAC.
Wish the WAC became an FBS conference again. And yeah, the MWC will have to lose atleast 3 more teams for UTEP to have a shot.

Of the SBC and AAC
, utep would fit "better" with the SBC. But that's not saying much. The AAC only cares about markets and el paso isn't big enough. Utep will never get into the AAC. SBC is for college town southern teams with decent fan bases... but they kicked NMSU for being too far out of the footprint.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I think eventually CUSA will add another two Texas teams.

This could be a nice division for us
West
UTEP
NMSU
SHSU
ACU
SFA
LT

East
WKU
MTSU
Liberty
JSU
KSU
FIU

That’s as good as it’s gonna get in either the WAC or CUSA.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
I think eventually CUSA will add another two Texas teams.

This could be a nice division for us
West
UTEP
NMSU
SHSU
ACU
SFA
LT

East
WKU
MTSU
Liberty
JSU
KSU
FIU

That’s as good as it’s gonna get in either the WAC or CUSA.
I'd prefer Tarleton over Abilene Christian but yeah I want to see way more Texas teams... close to markets that utep recruits.

How far could UTEP go with good leadership and heavy financial support? I think we could easily be P5. It's sad.

How far could UTEP go with good leadership and heavy financial support? I think we could easily be P5. It's sad.
Not anymore. If UTEP would have kept it going like the 2004 and 2005 seasons, it “might” have happened. Once Mike Price started losing, it was done. UTEP would have had to have Boise type football seasons along with some good NCAA runs.

Likely would have been in the AAC or MWC at best though.

Not anymore. If UTEP would have kept it going like the 2004 and 2005 seasons, it “might” have happened. Once Mike Price started losing, it was done. UTEP would have had to have Boise type football seasons along with some good NCAA runs.

Likely would have been in the AAC or MWC at best though.
I agree, the gap has widened so much they Would need major money to improve EVERYTHING to become a consistent CUSA contender. Imagine what could have happened if Stull threw the kitchen sink at Billy G and he would have stayed?

Reactions: mikesarabia
Zay says that Mbengue is the 6th highest rated recruit to ever commit to Utep . New Utep insider is wrong.

Vince Hunter
Omega Harris
Filiberto Rivera
Tymond Howard
Jordan Lathon
Chris Washburn
Anthony January
Stefan Jackson
Maurice Thomas

All these players after Haskins were rated higher. There have also been others that have committed but they never showed up. ""cough cough "" I think some us want to forget about those players.

Zay says that Mbengue is the 6th highest rated recruit to ever commit to Utep . New Utep insider is wrong.

Vince Hunter
Omega Harris
Filiberto Rivera
Tymond Howard
Jordan Lathon
Chris Washburn
Anthony January
Stefan Jackson
Maurice Thomas

All these players after Haskins were rated higher. There have also been others that have committed but they never showed up. ""cough cough "" I think some us want to forget about those players.

My guess is he got that from 247Sports which started in 2009

Vince Hunter
Omega Harris
Filiberto Rivera
Tymond Howard
Jordan Lathon
Chris Washburn
Anthony January
Stefan Jackson
Maurice Thomas

You just trying to deflect from that ridonculous statement you made about banning people from the ocean and national parks?

• Haha
Reactions: MINER.JAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT