ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's Lack of Attendance

Are the crowds gone for good?

• Yes

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
You had me at “winning will bring back the fans”.

That was quite the dissertation.
That remains to be seen. I'm very curious to see what the LT crowd will be like win or lose at USM. So far ticket sales seem on pace to match ODU but it's early.

First, I'll dispense with the obvious. Winning will bring back the fans. Although UTEP has won 4 out of 5 games thus far this season, consistency is what the program will need to ultimately achieve. Simply winning 4 to 6, or even more games, in just one season isn't going to do it.

Next, people here whine about the ticket prices. There's this little thing called inflation that has existed ever since man began bartering. Deny it all you want, but costs do go up year after year, and thus those increases are passed on to the consumer. Don't think that's fair? Too bad, it's always been like that, and it will always be like that - period. People who think ticket prices should be held like they were 20, 30 or 40 years ago are living in their own little bubble.

Those who also whine about $15 tickets don't seem too concerned about $4 hot dogs, $6 slices of pizza and $9 beers. Case in point, at last Saturday's game, I saw a group of 20ish guys downing Dos Equis beers like it was their last day on Earth. I'm sure they spent well over a $100 collectively. But they seemed able to afford it, so more power to them. Those who have entertainment money to spend are going to spend it somewhere. For those who have limited income, they'll find alternate forms of entertainment elsewhere. Those who whine that a family of four can't afford to attend a UTEP game aren't taking into consideration what it costs compared to attending a Chihuahuas or Locomotive game, going to a movie theater, Western Playland, etc. You'd spend about the same amount of money at either one of those events, if just on concessions alone. All you whiners focus on is "Chihuahuas offer $5 tickets" and so on. Can't afford to go out? Stay home and watch Netflix.

I don't attend UTEP games for the promotions, or lack thereof. I attend for the GAME! Imagine that! I even forgot about that Speaking Rock promotion that was held last Saturday. I guess I would have been happy winning some cash after a score. Some people were last Saturday night, good for them. So arguing that UTEP needs to come up with innovative promotions to attract fans is ludicrous.

Now here's my biggest issue with UTEP. The Sun Bowl is an antiquated piece of shit stadium. Blasphemous for some I'm sure, but the truth sometimes hurts. I rather watch UTEP play at Aggie Memorial Stadium instead. Oh so blasphemous to say! It may had been the crown jewel of a stadium at one time, but the Sun Bowl is a relic today, and is in need of serious renovations or a complete reconstruction, whichever is more cost effective. Metal benches with no back rests. No leg room between the metal benches in the original sections built back in the 60s. This isn't a problem with the east side expansion sections and north end zone built in the 80s. Run down restrooms that always stink like piss and shit. Basic concessions only offered at the concourse areas. You have to go to the north end zone or east side of the stadium to get more specialty items.

Know why I enjoy attending Chihuahuas games and am a season ticket holder? Yes, winning helps, but I enjoy Southwest University Park and what it has to offer. There are actual chairs to sit on. Plenty of food and drink options spread out throughout the stadium. A view of the field from anywhere on the concourse. Patio areas available for rent to host gatherings and parties. Adequate restrooms also spread out throughout the stadium, clean and maintained throughout the game. Access to club areas for season ticket holders. Attending a Chihuahuas game isn't just watching a baseball game, it's a night out with family and friends. We had our first losing season this year, but I didn’t seem to mind it. Just being out at the Ballpark night after night, hanging and chatting with friends, and watching a ballgame was good enough for me.

A reimagined Sun Bowl Stadium would consist of chairs and sufficient leg room to stretch out. We no longer need a 50,000 seat stadium. Capacity can be reduced to 40,000, or even as low as 35,000. Tear down the north end zone and convert it into a wide open plaza and patio area that fans can congregate, complete with table, benches and chairs. Create a center concourse area in the open where fans can walk around, complete with concession stands and carts much like the Chihuahuas have at Southwest University Park. Fans can get their concessions while still viewing the on-field action, not buried underneath the Sun Bowl. Upgrade the restroom facilities so that they don't look and smell like you're in prison. And do something with the south end zone. That closed area of the Sun Bowl just looks so plain and boring. Rebuild it to support additional weight, and maybe that's where you can build bench seating, with back supports and adequate leg room, and offer the cheap priced tickets.

Bring the Sun Bowl Stadium into the 21st century. I don’t know where the funding for a complete renovation or reconstruction will come from. It will cost millions of dollars. But it would be a worthwhile investment for UTEP that would serve them for decades to come. And for those who would say a reduced capacity Sun Bowl Stadium would affect the annual Sun Bowl game, quite the opposite. It would help make the game more attractive with a much more modernized stadium. Far less tickets to sell? That would only make it a more hotter ticket to offer.

Now having said all this, I’m sure NoMames and every other naysayer will continue to blame Dimel, Senter, conference affiliation, ticket prices, scheduling bad teams, and everything else under the sun. To quote Kuiil from The Mandalorian, “I have spoken.”
Where is the $$$ coming from for a reimagined Sun Bowl?

Reactions: Cube Jack
Those were the cracks I mentioned. Prior to that game we could still count on at least 30k for a game or two. I'm not talking about P5 teams. Since the Army game we've had one crowd over 20k for an FBS team. USM the following week. Prior to Army, crowds of 20k were the new norm. Now we can't even sniff that.
The ECU game in 2007 and that Army game are the two games that killed any positive momentum this program had. The Army game is the only time I’ve walked out of a UTEP game, and it’s obvious the damage it did to the fan base. I don’t want to lay ALL the blame on Kugler but our program had just had a neutron bomb dropped on them and we’re still dealing with the nuclear fallout.

It’s unreasonable to think that one 4-1 star will erase the countless YEARS of awful football and watching the Miners get curb-stomped. Just like it is taking years for the football team to turn it around it will take casual fans time to buy into what is being sold.

The ECU game in 2007 and that Army game are the two games that killed any positive momentum this program had. The Army game is the only time I’ve walked out of a UTEP game, and it’s obvious the damage it did to the fan base.

It’s unreasonable to think that one 4-1 star will erase the countless YEARS of awful football and watching the Miners get curb-stomped. Just like it is taking years for the football team to turn it around it will take casual fans time to buy into what is being sold.
You’re looking at it the wrong way. Strive for fatalistic fandom. Kind of like Cleveland Browns fans.

Need to focus on Jacob Cowing. People want to see stars.

The NBA promotes Giannis, LeBron, Luka, Curry, etc..... Tune in to see these guys. The NFL promos are less and less about the teams playing and about Dak, Mahomes, Brady, etc..... The MNF was never advertised as Patriots vs. Bucs, it was Brady's return, they even did Adele Commercial.

Alabama game last week was Kiffin vs Saban, Corral vs Young.

It was pointed out before, Aaron Jones, Alvin Jones, Quintin Demps, and Nik Needham were at a game. How is UTEP marketing not telling everyone.....Come see Jacob Cowing this Saturday, also in attendance, Green Bay Packers Superstar Aaron Jones, Miami Dolphins Nik Needham....etc.

When an opponent has an NFL Prospect....Promote that guy vs Cowing.

The NBA promotes Giannis, LeBron, Luka, Curry, etc..... Tune in to see these guys. The NFL promos are less and less about the teams playing and about Dak, Mahomes, Brady, etc..... The MNF was never advertised as Patriots vs. Bucs, it was Brady's return, they even did Adele Commercial.

It was pointed out before, Aaron Jones, Alvin Jones, Quintin Demps, and Nik Needham were at a game. How is UTEP marketing not telling everyone.....Come see Jacob Cowing this Saturday, also in attendance, Green Bay Packers Superstar Aaron Jones, Miami Dolphins Nik Needham....etc.

Does the casual fan even know who he is? Can our offense get him the ball?

And promote the fact that nfl scouts have been in town this week and several times this year to watch JG, Neil, etc. Future NFL players, come out and watch them.

Reactions: kickballpro
The ECU game in 2007 and that Army game are the two games that killed any positive momentum this program had. The Army game is the only time I’ve walked out of a UTEP game, and it’s obvious the damage it did to the fan base. I don’t want to lay ALL the blame on Kugler but our program had just had a neutron bomb dropped on them and we’re still dealing with the nuclear fallout.

This was the only game I walked out of in pure disgust. But I keep coming back year after year. Do we have a personality flaw?

Kugler had one decent year and I think having AJ helped out alot, cause he was a star. The middle Tennessee game that gave us 6 or 7 wins was amazing, had a loud crowd, but was probably under 30,000 or right at it. I distinctly remember during the Price Era getting 35+ thousand consistently. So it is very possible, it's not like Utep hasn't done it before. However, I agree it's gonna take a full year of winning to get back to even 30,000. Add that to covid concerns and just a different era of UTEP Fans and we'll be very fortunate to get 20,000 for rice with a possible winning season in the balance.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
They drove that live steer all the way to El Paso from Austin?? Impressive. I thought he only did home games
Bevo goes on road games, but sometimes stadiums don’t allow live mascots. Other stadiums don’t have enough space.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Kugler had one decent year and I think having AJ helped out alot, cause he was a star. The middle Tennessee game that gave us 6 or 7 wins was amazing, had a loud crowd, but was probably under 30,000 or right at it. I distinctly remember during the Price Era getting 35+ thousand consistently. So it is very possible, it's not like Utep hasn't done it before. However, I agree it's gonna take a full year of winning to get back to even 30,000. Add that to covid concerns and just a different era of UTEP Fans and we'll be very fortunate to get 20,000 for rice with a possible winning season in the balance.
Price was lightning in a bottle and then some. A proven big name coach who was charming and endeared himself to the city. He turned The Miners around really quick made everyone feel like we were watching a bigger program. I remember going to that first home game and they came down the stairs to Metallica, and Price slammed that pick into the dirt. They exuded a level of confidence and swagger that hasn’t been seen since.

The slide started way before The Army game. It started when we kept Price for seven straight losing seasons. Alot of fans jumped off the wagon because of lack of commitment to a winning program shown by the adminisration. This was highlighted by the Oklahoma game in 2012 not selling out. It only drew 40,000. Oklahoma was number 3 in the country and brought about 8,000- 10,000 fans. They are the biggest name to ever play UTEP in the Sun Bowl and will in all likelihood always be yet we only drew 40,000.
And we could’ve won that OU game. Still stings

Reactions: kickballpro
In the 8 seasons since Price stepped down UTEP has gone 27-71. They‘ve also gone 9-40 since Kugler’s last year. That tells you all you need to know about UTEP’s lack of fan support. If there is a silver lining in all of this it’s that as of today UTEP is 7-6 over the last two seasons. Are they truly turning it around? Maybe. Their recent record is a major step forward from the 0-12, 1-11 and 1-11 record we had in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

And we could’ve won that OU game. Still stings
Yeah. I remember Price called a fake punt from our own 20 in the second half. It failed miserably I was so pissed. I think we held Landry Jones in check. I remember they went to Blake Bell ( the belldozer) heavy in the fourth quarter and he broke like a 60 yard run to seal it. It's funny I hadn't thought about Blake Bell until last Saturday. The way Dimel used Brownholtz was identical to how Stoops used Bell.

Reactions: MinerFan79
In the 8 seasons since Price stepped down UTEP has gone 27-71. They‘ve also gone 9-40 since Kugler’s last year. That tells you all you need to know about UTEP’s lack of fan support. If there is a silver lining in all of this it’s that as of today UTEP is 7-6 over the last two seasons. Are they truly turning it around? Maybe. Their recent record is a major step forward from the 0-12, 1-11 and 1-11 record we had in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
This may sound lame but I don’t judge Price only by wins and losses. The program itself was elevated. Look at the attendance numbers especially in his early years. It didn’t feel like utep football. We were on National tv several times and generally we were close when we’d face a top tier team, and he got some big recruits(especially transfers) to come to Utep. If a few of those games had a few more breaks, his record would have been a lot different. Also in his record you’re factoring in the season he took over for Kugler

7-6 with wins over 3 FCS schools and the other 4 are FBS bottom feeders.

This may sound lame but I don’t judge Price only by wins and losses. The program itself was elevated. Look at the attendance numbers especially in his early years. It didn’t feel like utep football. We were on National tv several times and generally we were close when we’d face a top tier team, and he got some big recruits(especially transfers) to come to Utep. If a few of those games had a few more breaks, his record would have been a lot different. Also in his record you’re factoring in the season he took over for Kugler
I don’t count Price’s losses when he took over for Kugler. He stepped into the middle of disaster and he was there to make sure there was as little collateral damage as possible.
I agree that for those couple of years around 2004 UTEP was anything but UTEP.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerFan79
Where is the $$$ coming from for a reimagined Sun Bowl?
How much $$$ does UTEP have from their Covid- 19 relief funds? If there is enough, the Sun Bowl, Don Haskins Center, University Field (soccer), Helen of Troy Field, Memorial Gym (maybe not all five, at least three of them) could be used to upgrade their arena/ field lighting systems? They would possibly be getting a rebate from EP Electric and the state of Texas.

How much $$$ does UTEP have from their Covid- 19 relief funds? If there is enough, the Sun Bowl, Don Haskins Center, University Field (soccer), Helen of Troy Field, Memorial Gym (maybe not all five, at least three of them) could be used to upgrade their arena/ field lighting systems? They would possibly be getting a rebate from EP Electric and the state of Texas.
There isn't enough

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT