ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA vs UTEP

I said many moons ago Jerome needed to start.

Typhus has regressed — 4 points — so bad.

I said many moons ago Jerome needed to start.

Typhus has regressed — 4 points — so bad.
The guy got beat by German so many times in the first half like he's stuck in molasses. Also for a shot blocker he's very sus at jumping ie missing dunks.

Reactions: unihorn
Let's get the negative out of the way. That 1st half was pathetic. UTEP was completely dominated by an inferior, shorthanded team. I have zero expectations for this team going forward. They have reached their ceiling and they reach it inconsistently. Onyema has a higher ceiling but this team is not allowing him to reach that potential.

On the positive side, coming back from that is not something I expect from a team that gets beaten as they did in the 1st half. They showed they have heart and they won't quit.

Let's get the negative out of the way. That 1st half was pathetic. UTEP was completely dominated by an inferior, shorthanded team. I have zero expectations for this team going forward. They have reached their ceiling and they reach it inconsistently. Onyema has a higher ceiling but this team is not allowing him to reach that potential.

On the positive side, coming back from that is not something I expect from a team that gets beaten as they did in the 1st half. They showed they have heart and they won't quit.
Agree this team has a lot of heart.

Germany would be a good guy to have on our team. He is a P5 center with NBA size and athleticism. He can score and finish. Why he stayed at UTSA for rebuilding I'm not sure. Big difference between him and Bonke

The consistency issue is a carry over from CRT and its being exacerbated by our lack of offensive punch from our interior (along with our style). We are still living and dying by the 3, but fortunately we have had a little better shooting so far in conference.

Outside of Onyema, we really have no power in the paint. Some of us thought the new guys would bring some pop to the interior, but it hasn't worked out. Losing BW after letting him stay with the team so long really backfired. We are just too young and inexperienced on our front line. TV seems to have regressed and our offensive style doesn't play into the hands of Onyema and who is a rim runner. Sibley is a tweener and will be good, but not a true interior threat at the moment.

For next year Golding will REALLY need to find a transition big. Someone that can power the paint for at least one season while our young guys get up to speed and while our backcourt is experienced. Don't be surprised if any or numerous of our bigs are gone after this season (even TV).

Agree this team has a lot of heart.

Germany would be a good guy to have on our team. He is a P5 center with NBA size and athleticism. He can score and finish. Why he stayed at UTSA for rebuilding I'm not sure. Big difference between him and Bonke

The consistency issue is a carry over from CRT and its being exacerbated by our lack of offensive punch from our interior (along with our style). We are still living and dying by the 3, but fortunately we have had a little better shooting so far in conference.

Outside of Onyema, we really have no power in the paint. Some of us thought the new guys would bring some pop to the interior, but it hasn't worked out. Losing BW after letting him stay with the team so long really backfired. We are just too young and inexperienced on our front line. TV seems to have regressed and our offensive style doesn't play into the hands of Onyema and who is a rim runner. Sibley is a tweener and will be good, but not a true interior threat at the moment.

For next year Golding will REALLY need to find a transition big. Someone that can power the paint for at least one season while our young guys get up to speed and while our backcourt is experienced. Don't be surprised if any or numerous of our bigs are gone after this season (even TV).
Skilled bigs are coveted — won’t be easy to find one under the radar.

Skilled bigs are coveted — won’t be easy to find one under the radar.
Definitely. A transfer looking for a one last opportunity may be the ticket. If UTSA can land one, we should be able to also.

Golding will be able to point out improvement from the last several years to this year, in just his first season, it appears. He’ll have the selling point of a backcourt loaded with talented upperclassmen, and an empty spot for a big man ready to claim it. With even a slightly above average frontcourt, this team could very well be a tournament team.

It’ll be an easier sell his second recruiting cycle.

Definitely. A transfer looking for a one last opportunity may be the ticket. If UTSA can land one, we should be able to also.

Golding will be able to point out improvement from the last several years to this year, in just his first season, it appears. He’ll have the selling point of a backcourt loaded with talented upperclassmen, and an empty spot for a big man ready to claim it. With even a slightly above average frontcourt, this team could very well be a tournament team.

It’ll be an easier sell his second recruiting cycle.
Exactly. If Golding and staff are worth their mettle then it shouldn't be too hard. And it doesn't have to be under the radar. An NIL agreement wouldn't hurt either.

Speaking of big men, I was surprised to see that Onyema is a non scholarship player. Right now he is getting more PT than either Kalu or Maring, which may have been the reason behind Golding's "entitlement" comment. I definitely agree we need an impact big transfer to complement the backcourt players. Hopefully, Dos Ajos and Evans can help out on the wings. We really don't have any true forwards other than Hollins either.

Speaking of big men, I was surprised to see that Onyema is a non scholarship player. Right now he is getting more PT than either Kalu or Maring, which may have been the reason behind Golding's "entitlement" comment. I definitely agree we need an impact big transfer to complement the backcourt players. Hopefully, Dos Ajos and Evans can help out on the wings. We really don't have any true forwards other than Hollins either.
I was unaware of that also. I think Onyema was on schollie under CRT. I do remember Golding saying that he remembered Onyema during the recruiting process but that he ultimately passed on him while at ACU. Maybe he yanked his scholarship?!

I was unaware of that also. I think Onyema was on schollie under CRT. I do remember Golding saying that he remembered Onyema during the recruiting process but that he ultimately passed on him while at ACU. Maybe he yanked his scholarship?!
Yes, I believe Onyema was a scholarship player under Terry. If it came down to choosing between Maring and Onyema, I would probably go with Onyema just based on his athleticsm. Of course Golding has the advantage of seeing them in practice, so there's that. I'm not sure where Maring fits defensively, other than defending a big body down low. Then again, we really aren't getting great production from any of our bigs.

Yes, I believe Onyema was a scholarship player under Terry. If it came down to choosing between Maring and Onyema, I would probably go with Onyema just based on his athleticsm. Of course Golding has the advantage of seeing them in practice, so there's that. I'm not sure where Maring fits defensively, other than defending a big body down low. Then again, we really aren't getting great production from any of our bigs.

Onyema has the biggest upside. He can flat out dominate if he wants to in the paint. Kalu will grow and get better. Maring, well, we've seen his best.

I'd just as soon see Onyema as the primary relief for Verhoeven. Give him the minutes. He is getting more and more confident every game.

If it's true then I dont think it's appropriate. Golding needs to put him back on scholarship and let some others go where they can contribute..

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT