ADVERTISEMENT

Wade?

Let me try again. Did the show take place last night? If so, was the question not posed? Can't understand how such an opportunity could be wasted to ask him face to face why Wade has been relegated to the bench. He's certainly not likely to answer a question that isn't asked. Hello out there?????

Let me try again. Did the show take place last night? If so, was the question not posed? Can't understand how such an opportunity could be wasted to ask him face to face why Wade has been relegated to the bench. He's certainly not likely to answer a question that isn't asked. Hello out there?????

Nor is he likely to answer the question that is asked.

I didn't listen in on the show, so I'm just being a smart ass about it, but I'd venture to guess we are not going to hear what they don't want us to hear, whether asked or not...yet anyway.

The show did take place last night, but I didn’t listen.

That is great news I think he is more of a contributor than Flaggert. I know Flaggert takes charges but he offers nothing offensively. The team has played so well the last two times out and it is nice to see Omega contributing offensively. He will need to keep that up in order for us to be competitive the rest of the year.

At first it was his defense vs Lamar now it’s NMSU. Both games he was seen as bright spot offensively but defensively was enough to get him benched. My questions is why his defense held to a higher standard than the rest of the team? Why after two games of being benched we get some info now?

At first it was his defense vs Lamar now it’s NMSU. Both games he was seen as bright spot offensively but defensively was enough to get him benched. My questions is why his defense held to a higher standard than the rest of the team? Why after two games of being benched we get some info now?

Perhaps because his ceiling is much higher than others. Maybe others are playing closer to their given abilities. It has been said that Wade could be a great one. Sometimes that needs to be pulled out of a player.

Only answer I think I can spit out to your legit questions is that's the Tim Floyd and Phil Johnson culture and that's why no matter if Johnson turns things around this season, UTEP basketball needs a new culture ASAP.

Same questions can be asked about Tymond Howard, and also Josh Brown who didn't play when UTEP lost three guards to the gambling scandal. (Feel free to mention anyone else)

In my opinion, Floyd and Johnson use the dog house culture to punish and prove a point, but it hinders development, and pisses players and fans off. Doesn't make sense my man.

Perhaps because his ceiling is much higher than others. Maybe others are playing closer to their given abilities. It has been said that Wade could be a great one. Sometimes that needs to be pulled out of a player.
My take on the lack of defense angle is mixed. I'm trying to psychoanalise his pouty demeanor on the bench... sulking and sitting while teammates celebrate during the last two games. Does this demonstrate emotions towards the situation in general, towards himself or the coaches. If he were sitting and cheering; not sulking that would show a different sentiment.
I'm glad we have somewhat of an answer although I don't know if any one of us noticed any of the glaring defensive failures that the coaches saw.
Go MINERS.

Isn't the point of basketball to score more than the other team? If Wade can light it up, who cares how bad his defense is? Last time I checked, taking a charge only prevents scoring, it does not put points on the scoreboard.

Defense is nice, but offense is better. This is why I hated Floyd and don't want PJ to be the permanent coach.

Reactions: El Paso 777
I'm on the fence with this approach as well. I think it works on some guys, but backfires with others; so using a blanket approach may not be best. However, in theory, it is good to create a competitive environment where there are options available to not being forced to have to play a certain player out of necessity. In Wade's case, there are other options in his spot that can be used without sacrificing too much production. Same thing happened with Gilyard as well; he wasn't exactly cheering on his teammates from the bench either while he sat. You wish for a team full of Tirus Smiths and Kobe Magees, but that is not always the case. I'm hoping Wade is able to turn things around, he is an outstanding talent.

The thing that CTF never got, and it seems that it is lost on Johnson as well, is that the doghouse approach is like timeout for little kids. It's only effective in small increments.
Hopefully it's not two irresistible forces butting heads like with last year's Trey. Determination coupled with compromise is the answer.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Hopefully he's playing again by conf if so,who knows this team may be top 4 still

Last edited:
Isn't the point of basketball to score more than the other team? If Wade can light it up, who cares how bad his defense is? Last time I checked, taking a charge only prevents scoring, it does not put points on the scoreboard.

Defense is nice, but offense is better. This is why I hated Floyd and don't want PJ to be the permanent coach.

May the ghost of Haskins haunt you for the rest of your days.

So let me get this straight ..... if you all were coaching this team you wouldn't have a problem with a player playing terrible defense?

So let me get this straight ..... if you all were coaching this team you wouldn't have a problem with a player playing terrible defense?

I would. I am not in agreeance with Shovel in that offense is more important than defense. Problem isn't that a message has been sent by staff. Problem is that the message wears off if Wade isn't given an opportunity to show he's heard the message.

Not if he was an extremely effective scorer. Not everyone is Bruce Bowen and no coach would want a starting 5 of all Bruce Bowens.

Do you watch basketball? Golden St and Houston have tremendous offensive weapons.

Arizona St is 1st in P12 scoring offense and average 6 more points than the 2nd team. They're 7th in scoring defense and 1st in scoring margin.

Virginia is 1st nationally in scoring defense. When was the last time you said, "Gee, I really want to watch the Hoos game to tonight"

Reactions: El Paso 777
Not if he was an extremely effective scorer. Not everyone is Bruce Bowen and no coach would want a starting 5 of all Bruce Bowens.

Do you watch basketball? Golden St and Houston have tremendous offensive weapons.

Arizona St is 1st in P12 scoring offense and average 6 more points than the 2nd team. They're 7th in scoring defense and 1st in scoring margin.

Virginia is 1st nationally in scoring defense. When was the last time you said, "Gee, I really want to watch the Hoos game to tonight"
Wade is no where near the level of offensive threat that is displayed by some NBA players, let alone the Rockets or GSW. Those are the most high powered offenses in the world. We are talking about a freshman in C-USA that needs to prove himself. I agree people like offense more, but if this is all about poor defense, then he better shape up if he wants minutes under the current staff.

We are not there at practice so we can only speculate the extent of this story, but I hope he plays soon and shows more interest in his team when others are in the game also. Like I said before, he will be a component this year and a key player moving forward if he stays IMO. With his atleticism, length and shot blocking abilities there is no reason Wade can't be a top defender as well.

Do I watch basketball?? Are you kidding me the teams your referencing make me wonder if you watch basketball... golden state is actually winning because of defense... they have a very good defensive team.... and Houston went and knew they couldn't win with what they had so they brought in 3 good defenders..... and their defense is top 5 in the NBA right now..... everyone knows defense is key....

I cant see half the discussion on this thread but assuming it’s about the value of defense I think most b-ball fans would say it has a very high value. The AAU system generates players that can’t/have no incentive to be defensive minded. Once they get to college coaches have to reprogram that part of their game.

My favorite example of a utep defensive player success story is Julyan Stone. Guy wasn’t drafted but made a team right after college and found his way back to the NBA do to his defense. His scouting report was really trashing his offense but I remember it saying that he could essentially defend every position. Compare that to all great utep scorers since Hardaway that haven’t made league. Cullpepper and jackson come to mind.

Last edited:
The coaches need to motivate the players when it comes to defense. Most of today’s players are only care about the offense side. Don’t get much glory being a defensive stopper. The coach needs to find out how to motivate Wade or any other player. If riding the bench is the answer, that’s fine.
However the coaching staff owes it to the fans an explanation. Not the details but a general reason.

I'm not sure I agree with the coaches owe the fans an explanation of who plays and who doesn't. We are not there at every practice, don't know the personalities or how the players relate to one another and a dozen other factors. A simple "I play the best people to win" should be enough.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
I'm not sure I agree with the coaches owe the fans an explanation of who plays and who doesn't. We are not there at every practice, don't know the personalities or how the players relate to one another and a dozen other factors. A simple "I play the best people to win" should be enough.
I agree to a point, but it's pretty hard to convince me that Wade isn't one of the best. What little court time he's been given, he's shown that he's got the tools and whatever his defense may lack his other qualities make him an asset. Bench time while less qualified players are on the floor is a liability.

Reactions: develman

Yes, the object of the game is to score more points than the opposition. This not only means that you should be able to put points on the board, but you also need to stop the other team from scoring.

PURPLEFIRE beat me to this: do you watch basketball? Golden State does, indeed, have an elite offense, but they are also a top notch defensive team. And my Rockets have been an elite offense team for years. They are playing the best basketball in the league to start the season this year largely in part due to the fact that they now have a top 5 defense. If you're looking for an example of a top notch offensive team that played poor defense look at Doug Moe's old Denver Nuggets teams. They were elite offensively, but their poor defense prevented them from ever being a contender in the Western Conference.

Leading the nation in scoring defense is also about your offensive pace. Slowing the pace of the game offensively leads to fewer opportunities for your opponent. Up tempo teams can also play great defense, but won't have great scoring defense numbers, as their opponents will have more opportunities to score.

Personally, I don't really care what pace my team plays at, as long as they play well and win.

Back to Wade:

Some people perform at a high level no matter how their superiors try to motivate them. Others never give a good effort, no matter what their superiors may try. Each of these types are in the minority. Most people react to certain types of motivation better than they do others, and everyone is different. If Wade is not responding well to being benched, the staff should look to others means to motivate him to play defense. He does no one any good if he continues to ride the bench.

Last edited:
minermaniac.... your a rockets fan?? me too!! I loved that spurs whipping last night (mainly because thats my wifes team haha) but someone had just got through saying how the spurs not the rockets were a much bigger threat to the warriors..... nice to see another rockets fan on the board

Reactions: JeeberD
I don’t mean that we should have a say in who plays, but it would be nice just to have a statement on his status. Is it graders attitude, work ethic, injury.
I work Fior a close lipped company and its very frustrating at times.

minermaniac.... your a rockets fan?? me too!! I loved that spurs whipping last night (mainly because thats my wifes team haha) but someone had just got through saying how the spurs not the rockets were a much bigger threat to the warriors..... nice to see another rockets fan on the board

Yeah, I've been a die hard Rocket fan since the early to mid 80s. And yes, it's always nice to beat the Spurs.

Reactions: JeeberD
If he doesn't play this upcoming week I think unfortunately his time here is done.

Yeah, I've been a die hard Rocket fan since the early to mid 80s. And yes, it's always nice to beat the Spurs.
Even the cellar dwelling Mavericks beat the Spurs the other night so they obviously aren't The Spurs they once we're. Duncan gone, Parker and Ginobli might as well be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT