ADVERTISEMENT

What is the current state of UTEP Athletics?

Here's the problem: the national anthem singers and halftime performances are booked well in advance. With the game taking place the day before Thanksgiving it is more difficult to get commitments and you also get late cancellations.
Find it are to believe in a city of 800,000 thousand you can’t find one willing to do that. You could even get a school or church choir. Just takes a little effort.

The overriding problem is UTEP keeps losing. Plain and simple. I know a lot of people in the general public would love more giveaways and I am not against any of it, but people don’t want to show up to watch UTEP consistently lose and lose bad. It’s just not fun. The culture within the football program and especially within the city is that UTEP football is garbage and at this point I don’t blame anyone, especially a hard working family for not wasting their hard earned money on these football games.
Agree with that, tried to get a few friends interested—but no dice.

Nah, man. I'm analytical. I agree with you and have pointed out certain calls that have stunk, in my opinion, throughout the season. But this disaster is years in the making and whoever got this job was going to be in real bad shape.

Sorry, kickball, and I really don't mean to dump on you but you can't say that you agree with a statement that says "Good coaching IS important" right after you've said that coaching doesn't matter. Pick one or the other.

Sorry, kickball, and I really don't mean to dump on you but you can't say that you agree with a statement that says "Good coaching IS important" right after you've said that coaching doesn't matter. Pick one or the other.

Not saying Coaching isnt important. After all, I coach for a living. I'm just saying you cant win without good players. Good players make good coaches.

Agree with that, tried to get a few friends interested—but no dice.

By the end of the season it’s tough to get excited about bad football. There isn’t a single team in any sport that has a decades long history of failure/embarrassment that also has a large loyal, die hard fan base. They can relax tailgating rules, lower ticket prices, give away prizes, etc etc but it will mean f*ck-all because no one wants to watch a loser.

There is an article at Utep athletics about volleyball. I was impressed to find out that Utep was #3 in attendance this year. Also, the new coach was not satisfied with the win total of 13 and a .500 record. He wanted and expected Atleast 3 more wins. Many on here have said many times that Utep and Utep fans settle for mediocrity but I find the attitude of Ben Wallis refreshing and especially in a sport that Utep has been a bottom feeder in for a while. Other than football, I am happy with the direction of Utep athletics thus far. Unfortunately, football is so high profile, the others hardly get noticed.
Volleyball is improving also, seems to be on the right track.

There is an article at Utep athletics about volleyball. I was impressed to find out that Utep was #3 in attendance this year. Also, the new coach was not satisfied with the win total of 13 and a .500 record. He wanted and expected Atleast 3 more wins. Many on here have said many times that Utep and Utep fans settle for mediocrity but I find the attitude of Ben Wallis refreshing and especially in a sport that Utep has been a bottom feeder in for a while. Other than football, I am happy with the direction of Utep athletics thus far. Unfortunately, football is so high profile, the others hardly get noticed.

The school up north (the one between I- 10 & I- 25) will be going to the tournament for the 11th time.
https://nmstatesports.com/news/2019...et-to-battle-with-byu-in-ncaa-tournament.aspx
UTEP has never been in the dance, much less contended since the volleyball tournament was founded in 1981.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Women's_Volleyball_Tournament

Last edited:
Reactions: Autograph Boy
The school up north (the one between I- 10 & I- 25) will be going to the tournament for the 11th time.
https://nmstatesports.com/news/2019...et-to-battle-with-byu-in-ncaa-tournament.aspx
UTEP has never been in the dance, much less contended since the volleyball tournament was founded in 1981.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Women's_Volleyball_Tournament
True that’s why there is a new volleyball coach , who was the asst from said dreadful place.

Not saying Coaching isnt important. After all, I coach for a living. I'm just saying you cant win without good players. Good players make good coaches.

Totally spot on! I know MANY examples here locally. Mike Price was too. Remember, he was an average coach until Ryan Leaf....

Like Kick said earlier, our talent level was so low, NO ONE would have fixed it in 2 years. I respect the fact Dimel has been loyal to the kids that have been here (seniors), but a LOT of the crap is on coaching. (or lack thereof)

It goes hand in hand. Unfortunately, we've had shit at both ends for a long while

Reactions: MINER.JAY

I can agree with your last statement. But at the same time UTEP doesn’t have that luxury and they will probably never be in that position any time soon. The mistakes this team made all season that were due to coaching probably cost this team one or two wins, at least.

Find it are to believe in a city of 800,000 thousand you can’t find one willing to do that. You could even get a school or church choir. Just takes a little effort.

Booked before the season . It's actually especially difficult to get a school group on Thanksgiving week. These performers volunteer and audition. They're not randomly picked or found

Charlie Strong was fired.

Dimel, fire your DC and get Strong over here pronto!! He knows Texas and is a great coordinator.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT