ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Omega?????

I don't know about a great season but it hunk for the first time since Floyd got here we have a good starting off point.... Wynn and Thomas are only sophomores and will be really good and then a decent backcourt with omega and Artis .... And like I said before I like the newcomers with jones bad company... I can see us competing in the top 3....

I don't know about a great season but it hunk for the first time since Floyd got here we have a good starting off point.... Wynn and Thomas are only sophomores and will be really good and then a decent backcourt with omega and Artis .... And like I said before I like the newcomers with jones bad company... I can see us competing in the top 3....

So how many wins do you think we will have this season? I really don't think it will be more than 20.

Top 3 will be iffy, but I think it can happen. I think by December we will go how good or not good this team is.

Reactions: CubsFan81
The Wake Forest game will give us a good measuring stick of where we actually are, not these past 2 "practices" we have played. Wake Forest was a terrible ACC team last season, so we should have no reason not to play these guys tough on a neutral court. I want to see how Thomas and Willms look going up against equal or greater talent in that game. Hopefully we show improvement and beat Wake Forest.

The Wake Forest is a game that we should win considering how long Floyd has had to turn things around here.

Last edited:
I'll agree that WF wasn't very good last year but they did beat UCLA, Arkansas, Indiana and LSU. Part of their problem was that they were young. I expect them to be much improved this year.

They will be a good barometer for us. We should have the advantage in the backcourt but I think their size could give us some trouble. It'll be a good game to gauge Thomas and Jones...and if healthy, to see if Willms has upped his game any. Looking forward to it.

If anyone's saying we'll be good if X develops, I'll gently remind you that player development isn't this staff's strong point. Name one player who showed significant improvement while playing here. Cedric Lang. And that might the end of the list. Was CJ Cooper a better player from year 1 to year 4? Not really. Julian Washburn? Vince Hunter? Flaggert? Touchet? Artis? I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just not betting on it.

Reactions: UTEP05
If anyone's saying we'll be good if X develops, I'll gently remind you that player development isn't this staff's strong point. Name one player who showed significant improvement while playing here. Cedric Lang. And that might the end of the list. Was CJ Cooper a better player from year 1 to year 4? Not really. Julian Washburn? Vince Hunter? Flaggert? Touchet? Artis? I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just not betting on it.

Omega has improved

All I can say is if Paul Thomas gets some confidence and can stay out of foul trouble that kid has the ability to be deadly!!

I'll agree that WF wasn't very good last year but they did beat UCLA, Arkansas, Indiana and LSU. Part of their problem was that they were young. I expect them to be much improved this year.

They will be a good barometer for us. We should have the advantage in the backcourt but I think their size could give us some trouble. It'll be a good game to gauge Thomas and Jones...and if healthy, to see if Willms has upped his game any. Looking forward to it.
WF played a much, much tougher schedule in the ACC than UTEP did in C-USA and they should be much better this year. If UTEP makes it a close game that will be a good sign.

I watched both games, I am not an expert... Just a fan, but looks like it could be a struggle this year. On the flip side, Floyd uses these games to evaluate. I think they have a good enough team to be average. Still can't guard the 3 though lol. Artis should have his BIG year. Next week will begin to show us more! Go Miners!

Reactions: UTEP05
Nope, 6 win team first year of Gillespie and 10 win team I think under Barbee

"While football experienced success in the 1930’s, the basketball program took longer to develop. Marshall Pennington produced three winning seasons during his seven-year coaching career, including 15 victories during the 1939-40 season. Five coaches were hired to lead the squad from 1944 to 1961. Ross Moore won 17 games in 1949-50, while George McCarty produced five winning seasons in just six seasons at the helm. Harold Davis took the reins of the program in 1959 and won a total of 18 games in his two years. The coaching carousel finally stopped with the hiring of a little-known high school coach named Don Haskins."-Source: Wiki; [http://encyclopedia.utep.edu/index.php/Men's_Basketball]

With that being said, Haskin's late 70's teams left a lot to be desired. When the 80's came around, those 70's teams became a distant, distant memory as UTEP would win almost seventy five percent of their games in the 80's.

I watched both games, I am not an expert... Just a fan, but looks like it could be a struggle this year. On the flip side, Floyd uses these games to evaluate. I think they have a good enough team to be average. Still can't guard the 3 though lol. Artis should have his BIG year. Next week will begin to show us more! Go Miners!

I think the reality is a pretty mediocre season. This team (as is) is at least a year or two away from developing into anything. Problem is, we've yet to see any consistency in terms of player development or retention in the Floyd Era. Who knows what this team will look like in a year or two. ..

I think the reality is a pretty mediocre season. This team (as is) is at least a year or two away from developing into anything. Problem is, we've yet to see any consistency in terms of player development or retention in the Floyd Era. Who knows what this team will look like in a year or two. ..

Haven't you heard? It's a national epidemic.

I liked what I saw. The new guys look good. I liked that they physically looked like D1 athletes not projects or high school bodies. Things I liked:
-Deon Barrett maybe a good replacement for Artis down the line. Very confident with good handles and speed.
-Chris Barnes is athletic as hell and has a nice shot.
-Paul T. looks like a different person from last year. Much more mature and stronger.
-Kelvin and Matt create problems for other teams in the paint. Regardless of production it will create issues for others. Similar to the NMSU centers on us.
-Like Flaggerts shot. Really improved
-Artis is playing like its his last year. He takes control and most importantly converts when he does. He will win us games down the wire this year.
-T Winn will be the center and glue of this team. Guys a athletic beast and doesnt quit on both sides of the court. Floyd may not like his attitude but he seems to be the leader.

I liked what I saw. The new guys look good. I liked that they physically looked like D1 athletes not projects or high school bodies. Things I liked:
-Deon Barrett maybe a good replacement for Artis down the line. Very confident with good handles and speed.
-Paul T. looks like a different person from last year. Much more mature and stronger.
-Kelvin and Matt create problems for other teams in the paint. Regardless of production it will create issues for others. Similar to the NMSU centers on us.
-Artis is playing like its his last year. He takes control and most importantly converts when he does. He will win us games down the wire this year.
-T Winn will be the center and glue of this team. Guys a athletic beast and doesnt quit on both sides of the court. Floyd may not like his attitude but he seems to be the leader.

We must have been watching different games.

There's a link on the homepage that says "Watch" which should get you there.
Other games have the "WATCH" option. The Wake game simply says, "ESPN3"; not watch. I assume this is a streamed event; not a TV event. I have ESPN account on my play store, but not sure if and/or how I can get it!

Other games have the "WATCH" option. The Wake game simply says, "ESPN3"; not watch. I assume this is a streamed event; not a TV event. I have ESPN account on my play store, but not sure if and/or how I can get it!

ESPN3 events are only available on espn3.com

I use my apple tv to stream espn 3 games. that nice because its not off my phone just open the espn app on the appletv.

I have two android tablets, two android phones plus a desk top. I have The ESPN app, but when I open it, .I get Sports Center and there's no options to go to other programming.

Agree with most of your comments. To me Artis is the clear leader of the team. It was evident in how he took over in the last game towards the end of regulation and in overtime. I really liked Barnes game. He seems very poised, has a good shot, can create his own shot, and plays good defense. To me Wilms looked the same as other years. Jones does look like a project but did have some nice moments. Thomas does look improved and has a nice outside jump shot. Harris still appears out of control at times, but he makes things happen and can score in a variety of ways. Winn has developed a mid-range shot to go with his inside game. Barrett showed quickness and seemed to be in the flow of the game (did not appear lost or confused). Touchet and Flaggert need to be open to get their three point shots and when they are, they need to hit those shots consistently (not doing it right now). Cameron is athletic and appears to be another good defensive player. Need to see more of Moore, I believe he can be the gem of the freshmen.

With all that said, the soft schedule should help this team learn to play together and gain experience hopefully prior to conference play. To me, aside from UAB, Middle Tennessee, and Marshall, the Miners are on par with the rest of the teams. I know I will get hammered for this, but I am really looking forward to next year with the recruits we have coming in to go with this years freshmen and Harris. I know a lot can happen till then based on recent years but I am hopeful.

All I can say is if Paul Thomas gets some confidence and can stay out of foul trouble that kid has the ability to be deadly!!

I was a bit confused as to why Paul Thomas was left in the game to pick up four fouls in the 1st half, but then I figure since the game didn't count it wasn't seen as a big deal.

WatchESPN and ESPN3 are essentially the same thing. If you see the game listed, you should be able to stream it.

WatchESPN and ESPN3 are essentially the same thing. If you see the game listed, you should be able to stream it.
OK then, my friend.....thank you. Looking forward to see how we stack up against an ACC team.

Bump to refresh our memory. USAFminersfan was right on the money when he said

Maybe my memory is short, but this is possibly the worst team I've ever seen at UTEP. We have a few players, but nothing that can overcome our sheer lack of depth and experience at so many positions.

Floyd has ran this program into the ground. Been saying it for years, but his exodus can't come soon enough

"I will get crucified for this but i actually like this team better than last years team...."

This is really funny to read right now. There is really nothing else to do but laugh right now. I hate to say it, but the season is over. On to next season like every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT