ADVERTISEMENT

Will a win vs NMSU change our outlook for MBB this year?

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
The Miners played within 1 point at UNM and certainly could have won that game vs the 121 rpi team. Tonight's game vs the 71 rpi team is a big test since UTEP is now the 320 rpi rated team. Don't know how well the rpi really stacks up at this point but a win by UTEP tonight would be a major improvement from losing to SE LA and NW St.

If the Miners win does that signal to you that they may have a good season or will it just be a flash in the pan type win?

I think we, the media, and the coaches know what kind of team we have.

Win or lose, I think a "good" season is completely out of the question. I'd be surprised if we win more than 4 or 5 more games.

Our starters are simply outmatched by most teams in Div1 basketball, and we have almost no depth. Not a recipe for success.....

The Miners played within 1 point at UNM and certainly could have won that game vs the 121 rpi team. Tonight's game vs the 71 rpi team is a big test since UTEP is now the 320 rpi rated team. Don't know how well the rpi really stacks up at this point but a win by UTEP tonight would be a major improvement from losing to SE LA and NW St.

If the Miners win does that signal to you that they may have a good season or will it just be a flash in the pan type win?

Win or lose, I'll continue watching. But one win...is just one win. I'd much rather have the W, but I won't look at it as being indicative of anything to come. String 5-6 wins together and I might come around to the idea that the season can be "salvaged".

They'd have to go 5-7 or 6-6 before conf in my mind to even give the hope of double digit wins this season

We're already leaning towards calling this season a disaster because of the consistent losing. If they can find a way to turn this all around and consistently win, then I'll change my mind. But until then nothing changes, we are what we are.

Reactions: UTEP05
A win tonight would certainly help attendance for the next few home games. A bad loss is going to kill attendance.

Curious why there's no Vegas lines anywhere on the game. I've checked all I can and the game isn't listed. Anyone out there know why?

My prediction, UTEP MB will go 4-8 pre-conference and finish 12-18 overall(8-10 CUSA). Anyone think we'll do better than this?

My prediction, UTEP MB will go 4-8 pre-conference and finish 12-18 overall(8-10 CUSA). Anyone think we'll do better than this?

I can live with that as of right now. Rice and Charlotte and sitting at two and three spot in CUSA. Rice is improving but their OOC is very weak (like UTEP's) and their only major conference opponent was a loss to a rebuilding Texas Tech, but hey, they're beating the weaker foes like their supposed to be doing which always hasn't been easy for Rice. Man how the worm has turned! Charlotte is still a year or two behind to contend and Price will get them going where they were years ago. They did beat Oregon State and played Wake much better than UTEP did. MTSU is on top but CUSA has been relatively weak in OOC play which is why CUSA is ranked near the abyss. UTEP will be at the bottom but this conference is wide open, IMO.

Nope. #firebobstull #firetimfloyd #firemikeprice (what is he still being paid to do exactly?) Kugler has one more year. Miner sports is dying.

Well, we didn't get the win but there are a lot of good reasons for this.
1. LC is situated much closer to the hotbeds of recruiting than EP. Fact.
2. Weir has had much more time to build his team (1 yr) vs Floyd (7 yrs). Odd but true.
3. NMSU doesn't have to deal with player departures that UTEP has to because Weir is too nice to his players and isn't an a$$hole like Floyd and that's not fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT