ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale Castigates Texas Over Handling of Rodney Terry

Fails to mention the nice raise Terry got for being interim.
Do you think Vitale has a clue how "Hot Shot" Terry recruited high profile players like Boum and Williams then sat there nervously watching them underperform game after game?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Do you think Vitale has a clue how "Hot Shot" Terry recruited high profile players like Boum and Williams then sat there nervously watching them underperform game after game?
I’m happy he beat cancer, but Vitale needs to retire. He’s so bad calling games.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Terry has done a nice job so far, but let’s be real, the blue print for this team was created by Beard. Beard brought in these players and implemented his style, which has lead to great results. I think most assistant coaches would have achieved the same results with that great talent. I don’t blame UT administrators for waiting till the end of the season to evaluate Terry’s performance. Terry’s previous stints at FSU and UTEP produced mediocre results. There’s no doubt the guy can recruit, but he’s not a good X’s & O’s coach. As others posted, he had talented players at UTEP, but the results never materialized.

Terry has done a nice job so far, but let’s be real, the blue print for this team was created by Beard. Beard brought in these players and implemented his style, which has lead to great results. I think most assistant coaches would have achieved the same results with that great talent. I don’t blame UT administrators for waiting till the end of the season to evaluate Terry’s performance. Terry’s previous stints at FSU and UTEP produced mediocre results. There’s no doubt the guy can recruit, but he’s not a good X’s & O’s coach. As others posted, he had talented players at UTEP, but the results never materialized.
I think you can make the comparison of Barry Switzer taking over the Dallas Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson left. He could not keep up the momentum. Two years after the Super Bowl, they were 6-10.

Del Conte has gotten to where he has because he knows what the hell he’s doing. Dude knows what he’s doing with CRT!

I think you can make the comparison of Barry Switzer taking over the Dallas Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson left. He could not keep up the momentum. Two years after the Super Bowl, they were 6-10.
Except I think Switzer won two nattys at OU.

Last edited:
There’s no doubt the guy can recruit, but he’s not a good X’s & O’s coach.

Absolutely nailed it. I always thought it was so strange that during UTEP Time Outs, one of the assistants drew the plays out, not Terry.

Reactions: Rot
What exactly has Terry been doing the last 2 years in Austin? He had nothing to do with recruiting the players and coaching them?

Reactions: Lil_Train
What exactly has Terry been doing the last 2 years in Austin? He had nothing to do with recruiting the players and coaching them?
I guess reading comprehension is your weakness? We all are saying he can recruit. We are also saying he isn't a good X O coach. If you think he had much to do with coaching these guys, you are fooling yourself. Betcho butt EVERYTHING done coaching was done thru Beard. Beard is a great recruiter AND coach. Terry, not so much.

Reactions: Rot
I guess reading comprehension is your weakness? We all are saying he can recruit. We are also saying he isn't a good X O coach. If you think he had much to do with coaching these guys, you are fooling yourself. Betcho butt EVERYTHING done coaching was done thru Beard. Beard is a great recruiter AND coach. Terry, not so much.
The post I responded to said Beard brought in all the players.

If it was that easy to step in and babysit a bunch of talented players then Kansas would still be in the tournament right now.

The post I responded to said Beard brought in all the players.

If it was that easy to step in and babysit a bunch of talented players then Kansas would still be in the tournament right now.
Terry was the head coach at both FSU and UTEP. Did he ever achieve the same success at those schools? No. Were you happy with the job he did at UTEP? I wasn’t.

We all know the great job Beard did at TTech when he took them to the NCAA championship game in 2019. He’s a proven coach.

I never said Beard recruited all the players. I said he brought in these players and implemented his style. In other words, he was the architect who assembled this team. The Head Coach has the final say on which players get recruited and added to his team. As I stated previously, Terry is a great recruiter, but has not proven to be a great Xs and Os coach. I saw his coaching decisions at UTEP and would scratch my head in disbelief. I give him credit for continuing to lead this team through the scandal, but this is still Beard’s team. I don’t blame Del Conte for waiting till the end of the season to evaluate Terry. A good AD should make decisions based on a coach’s track record.

Was thinking which big name school still needs a head coach, in case Texas doesn’t retain Terry, for whatever reason.

With this talent, even Bronzeing would be successful at Texas 🤡

Terry was the head coach at both FSU and UTEP. Did he ever achieve the same success at those schools? No. Were you happy with the job he did at UTEP? I wasn’t.

We all know the great job Beard did at TTech when he took them to the NCAA championship game in 2019. He’s a proven coach.

I never said Beard recruited all the players. I said he brought in these players and implemented his style. In other words, he was the architect who assembled this team. The Head Coach has the final say on which players get recruited and added to his team. As I stated previously, Terry is a great recruiter, but has not proven to be a great Xs and Os coach. I saw his coaching decisions at UTEP and would scratch my head in disbelief. I give him credit for continuing to lead this team through the scandal, but this is still Beard’s team. I don’t blame Del Conte for waiting till the end of the season to evaluate Terry. A good AD should make decisions based on a coach’s track record.
Got it. Beard did everything and basically a monkey could do the job Terry has done.

I want Terry to succeed as coach of the Longhorns and have a home and home with the Miners. But as an AD you can't ignore his middling results at UTEP and Fresno. The warning signs are there.

Glad I don't have to make the decision.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I want Terry to succeed as coach of the Longhorns and have a home and home with the Miners. But as an AD you can't ignore his middling results at UTEP and Fresno. The warning signs are there.

Glad I don't have to make the decision.

Texas is never going to play here. Their content is too valuable for LHN/SEC Network to waste their time playing a road game in El Paso.

So did Utep get anything from Texas? Wasnt Terry still under contract? Was there a buyout?

Got it. Beard did everything and basically a monkey could do the job Terry has done.
Yep and there is no way possible for Terry to have made an effort to work on his X’s and O’s weaknesses and improve upon them the past 1 1/2 years under Beard.
I am no Terry fan but the dude has done a good job coaching this year.

Yep and there is no way possible for Terry to have made an effort to work on his X’s and O’s weaknesses and improve upon them the past 1 1/2 years under Beard.
I am no Terry fan but the dude has done a good job coaching this year.
Beard is the walking goat of college basketball. The talent and basketball iq of his players are on another planet from any other college basketball program. It’s no comparison. All his guys have to do is show up and they’ll win.

The same couldn’t be said for Self’s system. He actually has to coach the players during the game for his team to win. Thats a small glimpse of how much better Beard’s system is than any other walking or dead HC. Terry doesn’t have to do anything during the game or leading up to the game cuz Beard already did all the coaching when he recruited the players.

• Angry
He saw the writing on the wall, he wasn't getting anywhere at UTEP so when his buddy Beard got the gig at Texas he saw an out. Looks like he made the right decision for himself.

It doesnt make sense. He took a pay cut and left at a head coaching job gig. Why sign an extension then if he wasnt happy?? Head coaching jobs are hard to get and you don't always get a second chance. Yes right now he made the right choice but he couldn't have imagine he would be coaching now.

It doesnt make sense. He took a pay cut and left at a head coaching job gig. Why sign an extension then if he wasnt happy?? Head coaching jobs are hard to get and you don't always get a second chance. Yes right now he made the right choice but he couldn't have imagine he would be coaching now.
We’ve already answered the question.

• Haha
Say you're at a Blackjack table and you keep pushing every hand, you say to yourself "I'm not making any headway here." So you pick up your chips and move to another table.

He was getting paid well either way. You really don't think about money in those situations, when for example you're talking about $500k vs. $750k.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT