ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU, Liberty, and two FCS to CUSA

So apparently it's official and deal was made with NMSU, Liberty, SHS and Jacksonville St. today! Announcement forth coming. SHST will also be looking to expand stadium ASAP. No confirmation on W.Kentucky/M. Tennessee yet.
Nicely done by CUSA. I hope the MTSU/WKU deal to the MAC falls apart. At that point I would prefer if we stay at 9 but also wouldn't mind picking the best school available to go up to 10 and split into divisions.

If WKU/MTSU do leave then I would prefer we only pick one more up and stay at 8. Unless the Dakota schools want to join.

NMSU Board of Regents just unanimously voted to join CUSA.
Can someone remind me (because I was in HS at the time and only remember a political comic of it) why UTEP didn’t want to have NMSU in the same conference? This was NMSU moved to the WAC then we went to CUSA

I won’t lie, I am not excited. It’s what needed to be done but I don’t think UTEP benefits as much as people may think from competing with soon to be former FCS schools. SHSU should be competitive right away, Liberty’s floor is somewhere around double digit wins (actually a great thing if they can sneak into a NY6 and give CUSA the revenue share), and JSU feasts on SEC transfers so they won’t be an easy out.

On the basketball side, our road to the tournament just got significantly more difficult NMSU is obviously a good team year in and year out and Liberty having been a tournament team the past three years. It feels like a Memphis in CUSA situation where the only time it will be a two bid league is if someone beats Liberty in the tournament.

This is still way better than being independent and we have a chance of raising up the conference’s profile with good performances in bowls and the NCAAT. I know Liberty has a massive enrollment, but I don’t know how that will translate to a media deal, which is why I would still love if we can convince Kennesaw St to join.

Nicely done by CUSA. I hope the MTSU/WKU deal to the MAC falls apart. At that point I would prefer if we stay at 9 but also wouldn't mind picking the best school available to go up to 10 and split into divisions.

If WKU/MTSU do leave then I would prefer we only pick one more up and stay at 8. Unless the Dakota schools want to join.
“Nicely done by CUSA” getting 4 schools the AAC, SBC, MWC, and MAC had no interest in adding. CUSA is the Goodwill of FBS conferences now.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I won’t lie, I am not excited. It’s what needed to be done but I don’t think UTEP benefits as much as people may think from competing with soon to be former FCS schools. SHSU should be competitive right away, Liberty’s floor is somewhere around double digit wins (actually a great thing if they can sneak into a NY6 and give CUSA the revenue share), and JSU feasts on SEC transfers so they won’t be an easy out.

On the basketball side, our road to the tournament just got significantly more difficult NMSU is obviously a good team year in and year out and Liberty having been a tournament team the past three years. It feels like a Memphis in CUSA situation where the only time it will be a two bid league is if someone beats Liberty in the tournament.

This is still way better than being independent and we have a chance of raising up the conference’s profile with good performances in bowls and the NCAAT. I know Liberty has a massive enrollment, but I don’t know how that will translate to a media deal, which is why I would still love if we can convince Kennesaw St to join.
Most of Liberty’s enrollment are older adults or people looking to finish their degrees, that aren’t on campus and probably do not root for their athletics teams. Rumored to be about 15,000 on campus and the rest online.

I agree it's not going to be easy. People think FCS schools and write them off. It's a risky situation that might backfire but it's our only option at the moment. Dropping down or going Independent would the one of the dumbest decisions UTEP could have made.

I think Liberty has the potential to turn into a Boise St type of team. We haven't had a true dominant team in CUSA.

It's hard to keep everyone happy. We just need to beat the teams on our schedule and prepare ourselves for the next wave of realignment. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the FCS schools wins, invests, and leave us behind.

Added to the remaining garbage (UTEP, La Tech, FIU) nobody else wanted.

It isn't pretty but we live to play another day.
Yes, but not “nicely done”. It’s like buying a broken clearance item at WalMart that everyone looked at and passed on. Then saying to yourself, “I got a good deal!”

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Yes, but not “nicely done”. It’s like buying a broken clearance item at WalMart that everyone looked at and passed on. Then saying to yourself, “I got a good deal!”
It is nicely done cuz the other option would have been to disolve, lose out on 30+ million of exit fees, and be left without access to the millions from the playoffs distribution money. I don't expect you to understand the economics of college football.

It is nicely done cuz the other option would have been to disolve, lose out on 30+ million of exit fees, and be left without access to the millions from the playoffs distribution money. I don't expect you to understand the economics of college football.
I understand them quite well. Getting leftovers and misfit toys is no coup. UTEP will need every red cent to cover the increased travel costs and minimal tv deal that is forthcoming too. Congratulations!!

I understand them quite well. Getting leftovers and misfit toys is no coup. UTEP will need every red cent to cover the increased travel costs and minimal tv deal that is forthcoming too. Congratulations!!
What's your suggestion then? What would you have done? What schools would you have added?

Reactions: T-6 Miner
SHS Alum and big time donor said they are working on a plan on top of the already over 11 million dollar additions to add 6-10,000 seats. He also mentioned the stadium is a bowl with alot of grass and open spaces and allows for a pretty easy expansion. Jacksonville St. Already expanded and is doing an awesome 80 million dollar improvement. UTEP needs to catch up and not get left behind again. Sun Bowl and DHC need further renovations at the very least. Also after some digging, I found Kennesaw St. is who CUSA is targeting if M. Tennessee/W. Kentucky bounce to MAC. Back up plans if they don't accept would be teams such as NC A&T, SFA, SC St. Tarleton St. we may see in the future, but isn't financially ready yet.

And what would your other option be instead? This is a good deal because we brought in some good teams who can bring in results. SHSU should be a consistent 7+ win team year in and out and Liberty has an outside shot of a NY6 bowl. NMSU and Liberty strengthen the basketball side and again, the more NCAAT wins a conference gets, the more revenue they receive. UTEP benefits by adding strong athletic programs by way of revenue sharing.

Conversely, dropping down to the WAC for Olympic sports and going independent in football essentially limits us to what, 1-2 realistic bowl games since we would lose the CUSA tie ins. Sure basketball would have an easier road to the NCAAT.

But I mean if you have a Mountain West invite up your sleeve or another suggestion I am all ears.

What's your suggestion then? What would you have done? What schools would you have added?
I am not here stating I had a better realistic idea. Only that, getting junk is nothing to brag about. None of these schools were wanted by anyone else. Not “nicely done”, or “good” though. Taking your only options, isn’t a “win”.

I have already stated, I WOULD have gone Independent and joined the WAC or something. That is without considering financials. Only based on what I WOULD LIKE to see. UTEP doesn’t belong with schools from Virginia and Florida. That I will take to my grave.

You will disagree, that’s fine. I probably couldn’t come up with a “better” suggestion. All I am saying is that CUSA didn’t outmaneuver anyone, they simply added teams because they had to.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
SHS Alum and big time donor said they are working on a plan on top of the already over 11 million dollar additions to add 6-10,000 seats. He also mentioned the stadium is a bowl with alot of grass and open spaces and allows for a pretty easy expansion. Jacksonville St. Already expanded and is doing an awesome 80 million dollar improvement. UTEP needs to catch up and not get left behind again. Sun Bowl and DHC need further renovations at the very least. Also after some digging, I found Kennesaw St. is who CUSA is targeting if M. Tennessee/W. Kentucky bounce to MAC. Back up plans if they don't accept would be teams such as NC A&T, SFA, SC St. Tarleton St. we may see in the future, but isn't financially ready yet.
They don’t need to expand, they only get 50% of their stadium filled anyway. If those donors think playing UTEP and LaTech are going to bump it up much higher, they are fools.

I am not here stating I had a better realistic idea. Only that, getting junk is nothing to brag about. None of these schools were wanted by anyone else. Not “nicely done”, or “good” though. Taking your only options, isn’t a “win”.

I have already stated, I WOULD have gone Independent and joined the WAC or something. That is without considering financials. Only based on what I WOULD LIKE to see. UTEP doesn’t belong with schools from Virginia and Florida. That I will take to my grave.

You will disagree, that’s fine. I probably couldn’t come up with a “better” suggestion. All I am saying is that CUSA didn’t outmaneuver anyone, they simply added teams because they had to.
Very smart decision. Let's pay 3 million dollars to exit CUSA and go independent. Then we'll join a WAC that NMSU left. You're a genius!

CUSA outmanuevered death and that is nicely done because few believed it would be accomplished.

And what would your other option be instead? This is a good deal because we brought in some good teams who can bring in results. SHSU should be a consistent 7+ win team year in and out and Liberty has an outside shot of a NY6 bowl. NMSU and Liberty strengthen the basketball side and again, the more NCAAT wins a conference gets, the more revenue they receive. UTEP benefits by adding strong athletic programs by way of revenue sharing.

Conversely, dropping down to the WAC for Olympic sports and going independent in football essentially limits us to what, 1-2 realistic bowl games since we would lose the CUSA tie ins. Sure basketball would have an easier road to the NCAAT.

But I mean if you have a Mountain West invite up your sleeve or another suggestion I am all ears.
Liberty has never been close to a NY6 Bowl and likely won’t playing in CUSA now. Even when CUSA had good and respectable teams, they’ve never reached a NY6/BCS bowl.

Very smart decision. Let's pay 3 million dollars to exit CUSA and go independent. Then we'll join a WAC that NMSU left. You're a genius!

CUSA outmanuevered death and that is nicely done because few believed it would be accomplished.
Again, said without considering financials and joining the WAC would be if this expansion wasn’t happening. You win, cool? Let’s talk about something else.

While I don’t think Jax St is some great catch, I would rather have a school like that over FIU any day.

Sam Houston is good at FCS football, I certainly hope UTEP doesn’t fall behind them either

NMSU is a good addition because UTEP isn’t by themselves anymore and will open up some non conference possibilities. Hopefully it will make their games more meaningful.

Liberty, I don’t care about their political baggage, but I am “scared” of their potential, only because that means it will be harder for UTEP to challenge for conference titles.

Liberty has never been close to a NY6 Bowl and likely won’t playing in CUSA now. Even when CUSA had good and respectable teams, they’ve never reached a NY6/BCS bowl.
Yea and 17 years ago people said there was no way Boise State was going to a BCS bowl until it happened. Ten years ago people said there was no way two mid majors got into major bowl games until it happened. Liberty won’t make a NY6 until they do.

Reading the Athletics article on this and it mentions that if a league falls under 8 teams, it has 2 years to get above 8. Eastern Kentucky, Tarleton, Steohen F Austin were mentioned as potential teams. UMass is the next team that will likley join as they are under consideration and UConn is weighing its options.

Status of MT and WKU was mentioned as "up in the air."

Reactions: JCorona
Yea and 17 years ago people said there was no way Boise State was going to a BCS bowl until it happened. Ten years ago people said there was no way two mid majors got into major bowl games until it happened. Liberty won’t make a NY6 until they do.
Can you link me to the articles where people said those things? Did Boise St play in this version of CUSA? Which 2 mid majors are you talking about? Both didn’t play in this version of CUSA either.

You can improve without expanding, you know that right? Your reading comprehension skills are not there today.
You know a school can do both. Expand while improving their facilities. What are their plans? I want read them for myself and see the pictures of what they'll look like.

You know a school can do both. Expand while improving their facilities. What are their plans? I want read them for myself and see the pictures of what they'll look like.
Sure they can. Ask Natty for them, he said so.

Just saying, if you don’t fill your stadium now, you don’t need to expand it. They’re not going to be winning National champions, in the top 25, or have 17 game winning streaks when they jump to FBS.

They don’t need to expand, they only get 50% of their stadium filled anyway. If those donors think playing UTEP and LaTech are going to bump it up much higher, they are fools.
They don't have a choice dude! Has to be over 15,000, so yes they do have to expand! You don't know what the step up will do for fan turnout, you're again just throwing negativity up in the air to see who catches like you always do. You're not a realist, you're just a negative Nancy that looks for the bad and not the positives. If UTEP got added to the Big 12 you would only have negative comments I'm pretty sure. No one's ecstatic about what happened to CUSA, but they made a necessary counter move. Last time I checked SHS is reining champs and #1 team in FCS and would be more than half of the current FBS teams. You don't even acknowledge that.

They don't have a choice dude! Has to be over 15,000, so yes they do have to expand! You don't know what the step up will do for fan turnout, you're again just throwing negativity up in the air to see who catches like you always do. You're not a realist, you're just a negative Nancy that looks for the bad and not the positives. If UTEP got added to the Big 12 you would only have negative comments I'm pretty sure. No one's ecstatic about what happened to CUSA, but they made a necessary counter move. Last time I checked SHS is reining champs and #1 team in FCS and would be more than half of the current FBS teams. You don't even acknowledge that.
Then they only need 1,000 more seats. Not 6-10k. I’m a negative Nancy because I don’t think that more fans will flock to see UTEP and LaTech, but you said the same thing about UTEP dropping to FCS. How is that any different? You don’t know, you were just being “negative” right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT