ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Props to Golding though, if this guy makes it to campus. This is easily Goldings best recruit, from an accolade standpoint. We will see how good he is come the regular season.

Reactions: shyminer81
Props to Golding though, if this guy makes it to campus. This is easily Goldings best recruit, from an accolade standpoint. We will see how good he is come the regular season.
He will likely backup Kalu, but if he's a good defender he could get equal minutes. I just hope he's aggressive around the rim since his offense is so limited.

Looks to me that the coaching staff does read Minerdigs and listen to our complaints. This is Goldings highest recruited commit. I wonder where they got money??

From me. I told them I'd commit $5 to sign him when they told me a name that sounded like "lengua." I love lengua. With a first name that sounds like "barbeque." "Barbeque Lengua" Yup, I was all in for $5 bucks.

Disclaimer for NCAA po-po: This is a fvcking joke. No money has been given nor offered to a college student. Save your probation for the real violators of your "rules."

So he committed 15hrs ago and our local gurus/media are just posting about it now?? And what our wannabe Utep insider Zay? He hast posted anything about this commitment. Utep/ El Paso need some better media coverage. Its pretty sad.

So he committed 15hrs ago and our local gurus/media are just posting about it now?? And what our wannabe Utep insider Zay? He hast posted anything about this commitment. Utep/ El Paso need some better media coverage. Its pretty sad.

Makes no sense to redshirt the guy. We all know we will only have the guy one year.

When I saw the recruits post, I was shocked, to see if had not been shared much. Shocking, given this is a great pick up by Golding. I blame the summer heat.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
To me this signing says some things:

1) We weren't able to find a worthy guard and got the best big we could
2) I'm ok with him redshirting. At this point it is low risk to redshirt a player that likely wouldn't get on the floor. He either redshirts and is improved for next year or he will transfer and it really won't matter to us anyway.
3) Having a scholarship player redshirt shortens the bench by default which gives more players a little more minutes and (hopefully) keeps more players happier.

Reactions: MINER.JAY

WTF? I don't get it. Golding needs to win, not save players in his pocket who will likely trade themselves later anyway. Does he really think he is building a program with his crappy recruiting?

If this guy can rebound and defend the rim then we need him to play. At least for some backup minutes. Why would anybody decommit and transfer just to redshirt?

When I saw the recruits post, I was shocked, to see if had not been shared much. Shocking, given this is a great pick up by Golding. I blame the summer heat.
He announced and he got no replies until it was posted on here. Poor guy probably regrets coming to Utep? He is probably do they not have any fans?

From me. I told them I'd commit $5 to sign him when they told me a name that sounded like "lengua." I love lengua. With a first name that sounds like "barbeque." "Barbeque Lengua" Yup, I was all in for $5 bucks.

Disclaimer for NCAA po-po: This is a fvcking joke. No money has been given nor offered to a college student. Save your probation for the real violators of your "rules."
It's not against the rules anymore. Besides if it was its okay if we talk about it.

Makes no sense to redshirt the guy. We all know we will only have the guy one year.
I agree. We can’t recruit to redshirt if there’s talent cause he’ll just leave the following year. I mean it would probably happen if he played too but I’d at least get some minutes outta him before leaving. We also recruited the kid from Colorado St and he’s gonna have to sit on the bench too. Makes no sense to recruit guys to a year, have them sit and then leave, which will probably happen. We didn’t lose many players this year so hopefully I’ll be wrong

I agree. We can’t recruit to redshirt if there’s talent cause he’ll just leave the following year. I mean it would probably happen if he played too but I’d at least get some minutes outta him before leaving. We also recruited the kid from Colorado St and he’s gonna have to sit on the bench too. Makes no sense to recruit guys to a year, have them sit and then leave, which will probably happen. We didn’t lose many players this year so hopefully I’ll be wrong
Golding probably got an extension we don't know about yet and isn't feeling any pressure from Senter. Which would be no surprise.

If he is a non-qualifier, then Golding is making a calculated risk. Hopefully it pays off in the future ie.. Washburn
It's more likely Mbengue failed to qualify at De Paul. He would not be on scholarship as a Prop 48 (Washburn). With regard to the redshirt, from what I've heard, it may be the best move barring an injury to Kalu or Hamilton.

Haskins liked to red shirt players their second year if he felt it was necessary. He gave them as much PT as he could their freshman year.

It's more likely Mbengue failed to qualify at De Paul. He would not be on scholarship as a Prop 48 (Washburn). With regard to the redshirt, from what I've heard, it may be the best move barring an injury to Kalu or Hamilton.
Mmm what have your heard?

Mmm what have your heard?
A buddy mentioned he reminded him a bit of taller Onyema in his first year (redshirt year), but probably even less skilled offensively. He's a project, but obviously has intriguing physical tools, and a good motor. Probably not ready to contribute meaningful minutes this year barring injuries to the thin frontcourt. He also mentioned Hamilton looks a lot better with the weight loss and conditioning, so hopefully that is a positive sign. My friend wasn't too complimentory when he saw Hamilton in the summer last year.

Last edited:
None, but here are some candidates

Boum
BW
Lee Moore
Omega Harris
J Wash
VH
Yep. I would also include Dominic Artis, who I thought was outstanding in every area except shooting. Too bad UTEP has has such limited success the past decade. Jackson (UTSA) at #7 was too high. Yes, he could score, but he was a huge liability on defense. More importantly, his teams never had any real success; which seems was part of the criteria, at least when including UTEP players.

Yep. I would also include Dominic Artis, who I thought was outstanding in every area except shooting. Too bad UTEP has has such limited success the past decade. Jackson (UTSA) at #7 was too high. Yes, he could score, but he was a huge liability on defense. More importantly, his teams never had any real success; which seems was part of the criteria, at least when including UTEP players.
Man I would have loved to see VH stay and play with Artis and Moore. That would have been so fun to watch. VH would have killed it that season.

Aggies land P5 transfer at center. Bronzeing got that DePaul that will probably never play here.

He will have to sit out a year if what the NCAA has been saying holds up.

An ETSU transfer who was at Georgia before that committed to Georgia State but when he realized he would have to sit decided to transfer down to naia.

I am not sure if they asked for a waiver and were turned down already or he realized he would have to sit the year in all likelihood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT