ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Finally the PG. Looks like a decent pick up. Didn't beat out anyone great but maybe Golding is turning a corner in recruiting? Hope so. He had 8 other offers.

And a PG that can score?

Hard to believe we got ourselves such an apparent excitement baller, especially so late. The 13th scholarship I thought went to the 7 footer (name?) who supposedly is being red shirted, so how does this work?
Assuming Thomas is immediately eligible we could have a surprisingly good lineup.
I'm trying not to get too crazy, but can't help being optimistic.

Even so, Golding nabbed a good recruit. Even if he never makes it to campus.
Jamari Sibley was also a good recruit. Had offers from multiple ACC, Big Ten, and Big East schools before committing to Georgetown. He’s at Southern Utah now.

We don’t know if he’s a good recruit until he plays multiple games here.

Jamari Sibley was also a good recruit. Had offers from multiple ACC, Big Ten, and Big East schools before committing to Georgetown. He’s at Southern Utah now.

Yes but the constant knock golding has had thus far is he can't bring in quality recruits. Babacar and Thomas is a step in the right direction (we will see if Babacar will ever qualify academically). I have been one of the louder ones when criticizing Golding and his recruiting, so I'll give him props for this one.

BTW I think Sibley was a failure on Georgetowns and UTEPs coaching staff. Georgetown specifically killed the guys confidence. Still, you could see Sibleys potential as he did flash. He just couldn't get out of his own mind.

Reactions: MINER.JAY

Always the negative, hope he comes here and balls out. Maybe then then you will say something positive.

Reactions: BREVO2003

I agree. Recruiting is always a guessing game. There are five star recruits that have become busts, and there are walk-ons who have become great players. You never know what you've got until they spend significant time on the court at this level. That said, it will be a while until he sees the court, and in the meantime it's fun to speculate; it's all that we can do at this point. And at this point it does look like a good pickup.

Looked like they had a recruit on a unofficial possibly at the game Saturday. All the players were there but there was one with a pass that I didn’t recognize. The guys on the roster didn’t have passes. Looked like a SG/SF

Reactions: Lil_Train
Always the negative, hope he comes here and balls out. Maybe then then you will say something positive.
It’s not negative, it’s how recruiting is in today’s world. What you (and others) still don’t get, is that I want him to ball out too. I’m just fairly confident that it’s unlikely.

Go through old recruiting posts and look at the players people thought were going to be studs. If this guy has a good senior year, bigger schools will come a knocking, maybe he gets hurt. Lots of things could happen.

He hasn’t even put on a Miner uniform yet.

It’s not negative, it’s how recruiting is in today’s world. What you (and others) still don’t get, is that I want him to ball out too. I’m just fairly confident that it’s unlikely.

Go through old recruiting posts and look at the players people thought were going to be studs. If this guy has a good senior year, bigger schools will come a knocking, maybe he gets hurt. Lots of things could happen.

He hasn’t even put on a Miner uniform yet.

I've looked at his highlights and I would compare him to Reggie Miller or Klay Thompson. Maybe better than both IMO.

I think you're seeing a real shift from the middle level P5 schools recruiting high school players. They can get more bang for their buck by going after transfers. Let another school take the risk of developing freshman. Should create an opportunity for us to get better high school commits....whether we can hold on to them more than a year or two tho ...

There are no 1/2 scholarships for Football and basketball
While not a full ride, a partial scholarship offer can still cover a significant portion of college costs or very little. It may be that one student-athlete on a team gets a scholarship that covers tuition, while a teammate may only get offered a scholarship that covers the costs of books.

While not a full ride, a partial scholarship offer can still cover a significant portion of college costs or very little. It may be that one student-athlete on a team gets a scholarship that covers tuition, while a teammate may only get offered a scholarship that covers the costs of books.

In Division 1 athletics, Basketball and Football are full scholarships for men. They can offer a partial but it still counts as a Full Scholarship on paper. So it’s rare that a Football or Basketball scholarship isnt full. All other Men’s Sports are able to split scholarships.

In women’s sports, its basketball, Volleyball, Gymnastics, and Tennis that offer Full Scholarships. Every other women’s sport can split scholarships.

All Sports below D1 can offer partial scholarships.

JucoRecruiting.com

2024 Lee College
@LeeCollegeHoops
6'10 forward Jorge Moreno has committed to UTEP

Did not play for New Mexico State in 2021-22. He played for Lee last year. 10.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 64.9% field goal %.

Jorge Moreno | Fr. | F | 6-10 | 250 | Cananea, Sonora, Mexico/Strength 'N Motion International
• A raw talent with only three years of basketball experience, Jorge Moreno recently finished up his prep basketball career in San Antonio, Texas, at Strength 'N Motion International under the direction of head coach Mark Reed.
• Formerly a soccer goalie with excellent hands, Moreno took to basketball quickly and averaged 14.0 points, 13.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.5 blocks per game for Strength 'N Motion. Moreno played in 20 games for the Texas-based college basketball prep academy.
• Upon his introduction to the sport of basketball just a few years ago, Moreno quickly became a target for the Mexican U18 national team. The head coach of that team, Enrique Zuñiga Castro, helped to develop Moreno over the course of two years and made him a target for numerous prep basketball academies and college basketball programs in the United States.

What they're saying about Moreno
NM State head coach Chris Jans | "Jorge possesses a huge upside and his potential makes him an exciting player to coach. It's hard to believe he has only been playing organized basketball for three years. Coach Mark Reed and his Strength 'N Motion International staff have done a tremendous job of developing Jorge and providing a platform for him. Jorge is a welcome addition to NM State on and off the floor."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT