ADVERTISEMENT

Wow Curveball

Matt Campbell would be a great hire for OU. Lane Kiffin would be interesting. Another top 5 job open this will shake things up.

Reactions: kickballpro
Lincoln wants no part of the SEC 🐔
A&M can do it, why not USC?

OU is deliberate. Nothing is done. SC probably feels threatened to be seating with Oregon State and Arizona at the PAC12 kiddie table during Thanksgiving as Utah challenges to be the new west coast top dawg.

Media confirming story he talked to his team for a couple minutes and walked out.

The best? You want to live in Norman?
It's not bad. Way better than Stillwater. It's right outside OKC. You can live in Edmond if you want to. It's about a 30 minute drive but it has great schools and is very affluent.

The job is what makes it so attractive. You get a blue blood program with an administration who will give you whatever you need to win. There is not the toxicity with boosters and administration that exists at LSU.

It's not bad. Way better than Stillwater. It's right outside OKC. You can live in Edmond if you want to. It's about a 30 minute drive but it has great schools and is very affluent.

The job is what makes it so attractive. You get a blue blood program with an administration who will give you whatever you need to win. There is not the toxicity with boosters and administration that exists at LSU.
Then why did Stoops and now Riley quit?

Stoops retired because his dad was coach and died on the sidelines as a high school coach. Stoops didn't want to coach past 55. That's why other than one season in the XFL he has never put expressed interest to return to college coaching.

Riley left because the USC job might be the best job in the country. They should be the class of the PAC12. They have made serious investments in facilities. Should be able to pull top five recruiting classes every year. USC sells itself. In LA there are three main sports teams the Lakers, the Dodgers and USC football. It very well may be the best job in the country. I think considering location and conference that it is.

Oklahoma will be fine. 10 wins is standard every year. This is the first year in six years they didn't win a conference title. They have an infrastructure in place to be successful. It's a top five job. There will be no drop off from OU.

Culture. Simply, culture.

In the hood a child is introduced to “thug life”.

In Mexican culture a child is introduced to “Tata Dios” (God the Father).

In Oklahoma, a child is introduced to (learn) the OU head coach. I am not joking.

Sometimes all three can be intense and you want out.

Stoops retired because his dad was coach and died on the sidelines as a high school coach. Stoops didn't want to coach past 55. That's why other than one season in the XFL he has never put expressed interest to return to college coaching.

Riley left because the USC job might be the best job in the country. They should be the class of the PAC12. They have made serious investments in facilities. Should be able to pull top five recruiting classes every year. USC sells itself. In LA there are three main sports teams the Lakers, the Dodgers and USC football. It very well may be the best job in the country. I think considering location and conference that it is.

Oklahoma will be fine. 10 wins is standard every year. This is the first year in six years they didn't win a conference title. They have an infrastructure in place to be successful. It's a top five job. There will be no drop off from OU.
USC wants back into class of PAC12. Utah and Oregon own that now.

Ive been to Oklahoma and ive been to LA. If i had the kind of money he's going to make and has made there is zero doubt where i would want to live.

Ive been to Oklahoma and ive been to LA. If i had the kind of money he's going to make and has made there is zero doubt where i would want to live.
Yeah, but pro and cons to both. His money goes a lot farther in OK and OU probably would have matched whatever USC is going to pay him.

In LA, he could probably go to more places and just be another guy, while I am sure he can’t go out in public in OK without drawing a crowd.

I think OU and Texas made a big mistake, only football wise, by going to the SEC. “Easier” to make the playoffs in Pac 12 with USC over batting it out with the SEC teams.

Reactions: JCorona
Yeah, but pro and cons to both. His money goes a lot farther in OK and OU probably would have matched whatever USC is going to pay him.

In LA, he could probably go to more places and just be another guy, while I am sure he can’t go out in public in OK without drawing a crowd.

I think OU and Texas made a big mistake, only football wise, by going to the SEC. “Easier” to make the playoffs in Pac 12 with USC over batting it out with the SEC teams.
Good point. Maybe he's tired of not being able to take a shit without fans asking for his autograph. Yes, from a career perspective he will have a much easier path to the playoffs at USC.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Follow the $$$. The SEC with Texas and OU is going to command huge dollars.

Good point. Maybe he's tired of not being able to take a shit without fans asking for his autograph. Yes, from a career perspective he will have a much easier path to the playoffs at USC.
Maybe. Disney/ESPN/SEC will command the expanded playoffs and who gets in. SEC will get the most teams in and profit bigly.

Guy has made 25 million dollars and isn’t even 40 yet. USC will pay him handsomely. His dollar will go as far as he wants it to…even in LA. And he won’t have to deal with the SEC’s murderer’s row every year. Good career move, imo.

Riley has had some bad experiences with the top SEC teams over the past few years. OU is going to expect SEC Championships and playoff appearances. OU isn’t going to accept 8-4 seasons in the SEC which is most likely to happen. Riley’s days would be numbered at OU. The PAC 12 is very similar to the Big12 competition wise, so Riley is going to do what he did at OU at USC and pretty much dominate in the easier conference. He doesn’t have to worry about his seat getting hot at USC anytime soon. The LA lifestyle is just an added bonus. The SEC ain’t for everyone.

Maybe. Disney/ESPN/SEC will command the expanded playoffs and who gets in. SEC will get the most teams in and profit bigly.
How does that matter to your experience as a Texas fan if they get 2/3/4 teams in a playoff and UT isn’t one of them? Going to build another scoreboard or put PS5s in each locker???

Riley has had some bad experiences with the top SEC teams over the past few years. OU is going to expect SEC Championships and playoff appearances. OU isn’t going to accept 8-4 seasons in the SEC which is most likely to happen. Riley’s days would be numbered at OU. The PAC 12 is very similar to the Big12 competition wise, so Riley is going to do what he did at OU at USC and pretty much dominate in the easier conference. He doesn’t have to worry about his seat getting hot at USC anytime soon. The LA lifestyle is just an added bonus. The SEC ain’t for everyone.
Nonsense. USC is one of the alltime top programs. Doesn’t have to worry about a hot seat? Tell that to Lane Kiffin(fired on the tarmac after a loss) and Clay Helton. USC is a pressure cooker

Nonsense. USC is one of the alltime top programs. Doesn’t have to worry about a hot seat? Tell that to Lane Kiffin(fired on the tarmac after a loss) and Clay Helton. USC is a pressure cooker
I agree. Except that he won’t have to play Bama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc. Instead, he’ll have to get by Oregon, and well, Oregon.

I said when he is dominating the PAC 12 he doesn’t have to worry about being on the hot seat. Riley will do well at USC and should be competing for the PAC 12 Chanpionship on a regular basis like he did in the Big 12. He should have no issues out recruiting the other PAC 12 schools on a yearly basis.

Reactions: MinerFan79
In all this talk about Riley and Oklahoma one thing we all forgot is that we open next season in Norman. Second time in a row an Oklahoma coach will debut against UTEP.

Any chance we catch them off guard and shock the world?

• Haha
Reactions: homeskillet75
In all this talk about Riley and Oklahoma one thing we all forgot is that we open next season in Norman. Second time in a row an Oklahoma coach will debut against UTEP.

7b52da94de695d2c409bf288e3f0f196.jpeg

That’s a great observation. Maybe we lucked out here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT