ADVERTISEMENT

2015-2016 Player Grades

MinerMambo

Starter
Sep 19, 2001
I think this team played incredibly hard for most of the season because Artis, Moore, and Morris set a high standard. That being said, the lack of a legimate inside force was too much for this team to overcome. Here are my grades for the year.

Lee Moore - A - The kid was a scoring machine that seemed to get better as the year went on. He has a knack for finishing. The area he needs to work on is defense. If he has two more years then watch out.

Earvin Morris - B + This pre-conference All CUSA player did not quite meet expectations but was a consistent scoring threat from the inside and out. Defensively, he was an above average player. He was a class act and he will be missed.

Dominic Artis - B+ Came as a heralded recruit and played well but did not overwhelm. Towards the end of the season he got more aggressive with his drives to the basket. He did not put up J. Stone assist to turnover ratios but he was a solid and unselfish floor general.

Terry Winn - A This freshman (who should really be a junior) played lights out the second half of the season. He would get an plus with his grade but the first half of the season he was inconsistent. He competes offensively and defensively at a very high level. If he remains disciplined and committed he is going to be a beast for the next three years.

Omega Harris - B Omega improved his outside shot dramatically and played more under control. That being said, he still has to learn to finish.

Hooper Vint - C Hooper had more offensive production than many of us expected but defensively he was a liability and did not rebound as well as he should have given his size. He stayed with the program for four years and will graduate. I wish him the best.

Tevin Caldwell - B Caldwell is all class. He stepped in when he had to and played well. An argument can be made that he deserved more play time as his effort and intensity were electric. He also will graduate and he represented UTEP and El Paso very well.

Jake Flaggert - C - Coming off a redshirt year many of us expected more from this kid who had a decent freshman year. He was heralded for his leaping ability but that has not translated any on floor impact. Defensively he needs to improve his foot speed and he needs to add needs to add a drive to the basket dimension to his game.

Trey Touchet - C + This two-time Louisiana Player of the Year winner had a decent freshman year coming off a redshirt. He needs to work on his foot speed and he needs to get more comfortable bringing the ball up the court. He has high basketball IQ but is still adjusting to the D1 game.

Brodericks Jones - D+ This heralded recruit did okay in limited playing time. He will not impact the game at this level unless he puts on 25 pounds of muscle.

Paul Thomas - see above

Last edited:
I think this team played incredibly hard for most of the season because Artis, Moore, and Morris set a high standard. That being said, the lack of a legimate inside force was too much for this team to overcome. Here are my grades for the year.

Tevin Caldwell - B Caldwell is all class. He stepped in when he had to and played well. An argument can be made that he deserved more play time as his effort and intensity were electric. He also will graduate and he represented UTEP and El Paso very well.

Caldwell deserves an A. He did above and beyond what he was recruited to do. 1) He gave up his scholie to bring in Jones. 2) He was recruited to give some relief for the forwards. He did beyond that. He rebounded very well and actually was a critical player for a lot of wins this year. C) Proved that El Paso players can play the highest level of college ball. Let's be honest, he was brought in to shut up the fans and season ticket holders who cry "why can't they recruit any local kids?" (Ugh, that drives me insane!)

Reactions: mikesarabia
I swear I was just about to post something like this lol. I agree accept Flaggert was a Big Fat F! He did nothing to help this team after a redshirt year!

I think Miner Mambo did an excellent job with his evaluation. I would probably move Tevin to at least a B+ or A- given that he went beyond everyone's expectations.

I agree that Caldwell deserves an A. He probably is the only player who does. I'd give Moore a B-, Winn a B+ and Harris a C (remember he missed a third of the season due to being a knucklehead, and he wasn't really that great a team player when he returned).

Also, regarding your comments on Flaggert and Touchet -- it's not really physically possible for someone to improve their footspeed. If those guys are too slow, the solution is not to hope they miraculously get faster, but to recruit better players.

(In other news, I am hoping to improve my height by about 8 inches this summer!)

I agree that Caldwell deserves an A. He probably is the only player who does. I'd give Moore a B-, Winn a B+ and Harris a C (remember he missed a third of the season due to being a knucklehead, and he wasn't really that great a team player when he returned).

Also, regarding your comments on Flaggert and Touchet -- it's not really physically possible for someone to improve their footspeed. If those guys are too slow, the solution is not to hope they miraculously get faster, but to recruit better players.

(In other news, I am hoping to improve my height by about 8 inches this summer!)

Dude, I'd hate to have you as my teacher. Moore a B-? Winn a B+? Both those guys far exceeded any expectations I had of them.

If you hang from a chin-up bar for 3 minutes, 5 times a day, you'll increase your height by 10%. It's true. I saw it Myth Busters...or maybe it was a Brady Bunch episode.

It's not impossible to improve your foot speed (), footwork, or vertical. Cedrick Lang's lower body improvement between his junior and senior year is a perfect example of the type of lower body improvement that Touchet and Flaggert need.

Reactions: allminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT