ADVERTISEMENT

2019 UTEP Spring Football

The Spring Ball Roster has been released. There are no major surprises. There are a few departures like Jerrell Brown and TK Powell, but no impact players. It looks like we will actually have 2 True Freshmen joining the team during Spring Ball as both TJ Goodwin and Q. Workman are both listed. Cameron Cooper was a Grey Shirt this past year, who will also be joining the team for the first time. Somehow Eddie Sinegal is still listed on the roster and Van Hook looks to be back as well. Garrett, Caldwell, and Prince were all JC guys who redshirted last year, also Darta Lee is only listed as a Junior as well, which means that he got a redshirt year also. Overall, the good news is that there are no major losses, UTEP did a good job of redshirting nearly all of the first year players who were eligible for redshirt and I also don’t see any losses from Dimel’s first recruiting class, as they are all still listed.

https://utepathletics.com/roster.aspx?roster=1147&path=football

Dang, Powell sucks but I understand he just couldn't break thru. His performance against La tech two to three years ago was memorable.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Antonio Brown was traded to the Raiders and I guess QB Brandon Jones is a Raider Fan because he tweeted at Derek Carr and Carr responded.

Each year I try to attend a week of UTEP Spring practices, unfortunately this year I could only do a day because they are off for Spring Break next week. So I won't be able to give as much as last year but here goes.

First off, night and day from last spring. Lots more guys out and the team is much deeper. Two years ago they were going through the motions, last year you could see improvement, this year, vast improvement.

Ok, the QB, position. Kai took the Lions share of the snaps. Last year I said I wasn't sure if he or Metz was the guy, this year he's the guy. Jones was clear number 2 but I love Goodwin. Goodwin does not have that college body type just yet, still a little lean. But he's an athlete and has a cannon. Back to Kai, accuracy and decision making has improved immensely. In fact, all QB's throwing very well. Canales doing a great job.

The WR position is better than I thought it would be. Walter Dawn is back in the slot and Kavika is now playing mostly outside. (Kavika did play a snap a QB as did another back or wr) 14 Rodriguez was out as was Forest Mckee. Both whom I was a fan of last year. Lots of TE's this year. Laufenberg was wearing number 2 and that is a big kid with soft hands. Another TE was 45 Trent Thompson. He's a big big dude. Slower than 2 but a better blocker.

At WR they had 11 Tre'shon Wolf, 9 Alan Busey, 17 Justin Garrett, that ran first. But the WR group subbed out alot. Of course Dawn and Kavika mixed in. Eddie Sinegal was back and looking great but one guy I was extremely impressed with was 5 Keynan Foster. He is FAST. They move him around alot, I expect him to play a huge role this year. He's small, but man he's good. In one vs one, the DB's won alot but in team and 7 on 7 the offense did well.

The O-Line was LT 76 Darta Lee, LG 73 Bobby Deharo, C 61 Ruben Guerra, RG 68 Zuri Henry, and RT 69 Markos Lujan. The O-Line was big and athletic. They are alot more comfortable with their protections.

4 Wadley was the feature back but last spring and again this spring I like 24 Reynaldo Flores from Ysleta. He's a good football player. Of course we got Hankins coming.

I like to spend time with each position group but this year time didn't permit. Didn't see the D-Line or LB's as much as I wanted. I can say I like the secondary. 8 Miles Banks played on the side I was on, he is solid. 13 Justin Rogers played on the inside. However, a name people need to remember is Ray Walters, 20. This kid is a future draft pick.

I've been going to these practices for 9-10 years and this is the best team I've seen in the last 5. The exciting thing this year is that you can see the program turning.

Last edited:
Nice to hear that Kai is looking better. Maybe his health was worse than we thought last year, but I will beleive it when I see it. Sounds like Goodwin will redshirt as he should.

We still have two potential starters out on the O-line, but its awesome to hear that Henry is back!

Foster and Sinegal will bring some speed back to this team. If #2 can catch we might be that much better on offense.

I think we will be ok at linebacker. Van Hook should be back too.

Biggest question will be who is going to rush the QB?? A good grad transfer DE would be spectacular.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The biggest difference I saw in Kai is that he is hitting the high percentage throws and not trying to force anything. During the 2 minute offense, he took a shot to the end zone that was dropped. Scrambled for 2 first downs. Also hit a wide open receiver at the 5 but it was also dropped. The offense missed a field goal to end the drill.

Im not going to listen to anyones report of the players anymore. Nobody really knows who is going to be good and who isnt. Last 2 seasons Utep has won 1 game!!!! Its a crap shoot.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Im not going to listen to anyones report of the players anymore. Nobody really knows who is going to be good and who isnt. Last 2 seasons Utep has won 1 game!!!! Its a crap shoot.

lmao. Same here. Seems like every year we hear of improvement and certain players shining in practice, only to get our asses kicked during the season and rarely hear from those "practice field stars" again.

The only thing we can determine from practice/drills is how good we look against ourselves, for the most part. That ain't gonna tell us much, since our team generally sucks as a whole...

Reactions: FiliUTEP
I plan on attending the Eastside practice and the spring game. Just to support and see what we look like

Don't post any reports. People won't like it.

I don’t mind reports but at the same time I want to see how they look week 1 before I put any stock into what’s being said. I’ve been burned too many times by reporters/fans saying that “player-X looks like a beast!” Etc etc.

I don’t mind reports but at the same time I want to see how they look week 1 before I put any stock into what’s being said. I’ve been burned too many times by reporters/fans saying that “player-X looks like a beast!” Etc etc.
Agree with you. It would be nice if outside media, opposing fans and coaches said those words about our players during the season for a change.

I also do enjoy reading the internal observations from our fan base. I don’t put too much stock into them though.

I do appreciate that it's been quiet. Other than losing Mascarro there really has been no bad news. They cut some dead weight. Really no drama at all , opposite of the basketball offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT