ADVERTISEMENT

A little different perspective...

allminer

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 12, 2005
In 1975, the Miners would go to the NCAA Tournament for only the 3rd time since winning the NCAA Championship in 1966, and the first time since 1970. They would not return to the NCAA Tournament for another 9 years, until 1984. Sandwiched in between were 3 straight years where the Miners finished with records of 11-15, 10-16 and 11-15. I recall editorials and letters to the editor of both local newspapers of the time...Coach Don Haskins time had passed and the game had passed him by. I wonder what the outcry would have been had the social media of today existed back then? Maybe 7 straight trips to the NCAA tournament would have never happened. Maybe. Now, before some of you spin this into "so you're saying we should give Floyd 9 years to go to the NCAA Tournament?" Not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is be careful what you wish for...and you never know what may be waiting just around the corner. Just sayin'.

This post was edited on 3/15 1:37 AM by allminer

Not really sure what the purpose of this post is except you comparing Tim Floyd to Don Haskins.

I would rather hire an up and coming assistant than keep Floyd, but that's just me. Floyd might surprise us next year and take UTEP to the Sweet 16. Or we might lose in the first round of the CUSA Tournament. I would rather take a chance and see what somebody else brings to the table.

Originally posted by allminer:

Not comparing the two at all. Wow.
So what's the point in bring up the 60's, 70's and 80's? You're comparing apples to oranges. I read your whole post waiting to get something out of it and I get is "be careful what you wish for". Haskins already established that he could win at UTEP in 1975. Floyd has yet to do that.

This post was edited on 3/15 2:02 AM by El Paso Chihuahuas

Why do you always need a picture drawn for you chi? Forget 1975. It took 9 years for another NCAA appearance after that. My post had to do with the jist of the majority of the posts and opinions the last two days, follow? I was just wondering, throwing it out in the wind, as it were, that had the social media of today existed back then, what would the opinions on a board like this looked like back then? I could just imagine. Would Haskins have survived those 3 straight losing seasons? If not, would those 7 straight NCAA appearances ever had happened? Its not apples to oranges at all. We're still talking UTEP basketball and a longer drought of post season appearances than we're experiencing now, following a not too recent Championship. Man, I could spin your last sentence easily too. "Haskins proved he could win at UTEP in 1975." So you're saying the 9 year drought with 3 straight losing seasons was okay, since he proved he could win? Because that's exactly what it sounds like you're saying. The last two days this board has been impassioned, rightfully so. Its my opinion, and my opinion only, that a lot of the talk has been the shoot from the hip kind. A similar, if not worse scenario occurred that a lot of the older, more experienced folk on this board may remember. I was comparing that past history with the present situation in light of today's world, where people can spew out opinions for all to see, without much thought, insight, foresight and consequence. Thats it.

This post was edited on 3/15 2:51 AM by allminer

Originally posted by allminer:

Why do you always need a picture drawn for you chi? Forget 1975. It took 9 years for another NCAA appearance after that. My post had to do with the jist of the majority of the posts and opinions the last two days, follow? I was just wondering, throwing it out in the wind, as it were, that had the social media of today existed back then, what would the opinions on a board like this looked like back then? I could just imagine. Would Haskins have survived those 3 straight losing seasons? If not, would those 7 straight NCAA appearances ever had happened? Its not apples to oranges at all. We're still talking UTEP basketball and a longer drought of post season appearances than we're experiencing now, following a not too recent Championship. Man, I could spin your last sentence easily too. "Haskins proved he could win at UTEP in 1975." So you're saying the 9 year drought with 3 straight losing seasons was okay, since he proved he could win? Because that's exactly what it sounds like you're saying. The last two days this board has been impassioned, rightfully so. Its my opinion, and my opinion only, that a lot of the talk has been the shoot from the hip kind. A similar, if not worse scenario occurred that a lot of the older, more experienced folk on this board may remember. I was comparing that past history with the present situation in light of today's world, where people can spew out opinions for all to see, without much thought, insight, foresight and consequence. Thats it.

This post was edited on 3/15 2:51 AM by allminer
Muck like today, I think Haskins would have survived those 3 straight losing seasons. Haskins brought us a National Championship, went to the Big Dance in 4 out of his first 6 years as a head coach. I think fans would look the other way over 3 straight losing seasons.

Yes, I'm saying the 9 year drought with 3 straight losing season was okay.

Floyd has had a 5 year drought with nothing to show for. Not even a win in the CBI.

This post was edited on 3/15 3:44 AM by El Paso Chihuahuas

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:
Not really sure what the purpose of this post is except you comparing Tim Floyd to Don Haskins.

I would rather hire an up and coming assistant than keep Floyd, but that's just me. Floyd might surprise us next year and take UTEP to the Sweet 16. Or we might lose in the first round of the CUSA Tournament. I would rather take a chance and see what somebody else brings to the table.
We get it, you want him gone. Do you have to say it in just about every post?

That is interesting allminer. 2 things explain the drought. First, Haskins and UTEP suffered a terrible smear campaign (Haskins was painted as a calculating, cruel, exploitative, racist and El Paso was painted like the most racist town in America by sports illustrated) after it won the national championship and that hurt recruiting for about a decade. Second, the game (at least the recruiting part of it) did pass Haskins by and it wasn't until a young, pugnacious assistant named Tim Floyd convinced Haskins that it was okay to recruit kids with tattoos and that good players had to be wooed by nicer locker rooms that we started to gave success again.

So maybe, the moral of the story is, Floyd needs some new blood in his coaching staff, someone with a fresh perspective.

Once TF wins a National Champioinship at UTEP, then he'll derserve a break for 9 years and can even have 3 or 4 straight losing seasons. At this point, he hasn't done much...his only cred is that he started his career here as Haskins' longtime asssirant. I think his goodwill based on that is about run out...especially since its clear he didn't come back to stay and rebuild the program. Time to move on.

Originally posted by Orange County Miner:
Once TF wins a National Champioinship at UTEP, then he'll derserve a break for 9 years and can even have 3 or 4 straight losing seasons. At this point, he hasn't done much...his only cred is that he started his career here as Haskins' longtime asssirant. I think his goodwill based on that is about run out...especially since its clear he didn't come back to stay and rebuild the program. Time to move on. Gla
Glad somebody else gets it!

What happened to your assertion that "everyone agrees with me"? You've now downgraded it to "at least somebody"...

Keep trying for your dream job, Fox Network likes jerks but they have to be at least somewhat consistent and entertaining. You fail on both counts...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT