ADVERTISEMENT

A tale of one team, two different games

topminer

All Star
Sep 5, 2003
The Miners were not particularly hot shooting in either the Marshall or the Louisiana Tech games.

It appeared Marshall was on fire against us; and Tech was particularly cold.

I would argue, however, that our defense (or lack thereof) was the key variable and difference maker in the two games.

Against Louisiana Tech we played Joe Golding's defense.

It also helped that they had a real difficult time hitting their free throws.

The Miners were not particularly hot shooting in either the Marshall or the Louisiana Tech games.

It appeared Marshall was on fire against us; and Tech was particularly cold.

I would argue, however, that our defense (or lack thereof) was the key variable and difference maker in the two games.

Against Louisiana Tech we played Joe Golding's defense.

It also helped that they had a real difficult time hitting their free throws.
I agree. We looked very flat against Marshall. Maybe late season fatigue. Our defense was much more active last night. Joe Golding defense.

I agree. We looked very flat against Marshall. Maybe late season fatigue. Our defense was much more active last night. Joe Golding defense.
I'm wondering if it were a late season lack of focus against Marshall, for whatever reason. They should not have been suffering from physical fatigue as they had a long break and did not play until Sunday (albeit a Super Bowl Sunday?). This was after the previous Monday's hard fought game at North Texas.

At any rate, a win at Ruston more than negates the home loss IMHO. Time to move on...

Boy that free throw shooting was a hot topic during Miner Talk. We did win because LT didn’t take care of business at the line. Free Throw’s are a big component of the game like special teams is to football. Starting at your 25 or at the 40 is a helluva lot better than inside your 5. These CUSA refs were calling flatulence calls on UTEP with only 2 legit fouls on T.V. alone. but La Tech did not capitalize. Someone estimated last night that if Bulldogs had hit 75% at the Charity line (their average is 70%) they would have easily won this game. But yes, that’s why they play the game and UTEP took care of business.

Reactions: topminer
I'm wondering if it were a late season lack of focus against Marshall, for whatever reason. They should not have been suffering from physical fatigue as they had a long break and did not play until Sunday (albeit a Super Bowl Sunday?). This was after the previous Monday's hard fought game at North Texas.

At any rate, a win at Ruston more than negates the home loss IMHO. Time to move on...
It does but only if we can follow it up and avoid a WTF loss at USM.

That’s true. Playing flat can be attributed to many different things.

Marshall was hot and we were not. Also Golding didn't adjust his defense against Marshall when it obviously wasnt working (as he admitted). It happens. At least CJG is open and honest and tells us fans there will be new things to offer in the future so I'm good with that.

UTEP has already exceeded my expectations for this year. With all the COVID and injuries I can't complain. Yes I was mad when we lost to Marshall, but it was a good mad because of the higher expectations that this team has now afforded.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and the future. We are getting better. We are winning road games. We are very scrappy. If we can ever become dominant on offense/on the boards then look out!

Hopefully Golding and staff will pull up their recruiting pants too. We are going to need it if this program is to keep moving forward.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and the future. We are getting better. We are winning road games. We are very scrappy. If we can ever become dominant on offense/on the boards then look out!

Hopefully Golding and staff will pull up their recruiting pants too. We are going to need it if this program is to keep moving forward.

Start passing that donations hat around now. If Golding keeps this up and turns this program around, bigger and richer schools will come calling in 2 years. UTEP better start saving for that big payout for Golding.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Marshall was hot and we were not. Also Golding didn't adjust his defense against Marshall when it obviously wasnt working (as he admitted). It happens. At least CJG is open and honest and tells us fans there will be new things to offer in the future so I'm good with that.

UTEP has already exceeded my expectations for this year. With all the COVID and injuries I can't complain. Yes I was mad when we lost to Marshall, but it was a good mad because of the higher expectations that this team has now afforded.

Speaking of recruiting, I've watched a couple of Florida Southwestern games online getting a look at Jon dos Anjos. I think Golding is looking at him as a replacement for Hollins. I think they have similar offensive games, but overall I am not sure I see a true impact player. He is indeed a three level scorer at the JC level, but is not really a standout in any one area. He isnt really a physical guy, and tends to get in foul trouble alot. See the link below for game videos:

For next year, if everyone returns, I think we are pretty much set at the guard spots. I think to take the next step, we need help at small forward. Getting a dynamic guy at that position would help tremendously, and I assume that's why Golding brought in Evans and dos Anjos. We could obviously use another experienced big. The year after next is looking like a huge rebuild, but hopefully Golding can make use of the portal, plus JCs at that time. Of course, many things can change that far out.

Start passing that donations hat around now. If Golding keeps this up and turns this program around, bigger and richer schools will come calling in 2 years. UTEP better start saving for that big payout for Golding.

LOL! A colecta for coach instead of beer!

running-target-on-my-back.gif

MT is undefeated at home according to Adrian Broaddus on Miner talk and MT is taking over the east division.

UAB and UNT at DHC and they are the top two in the league with a bullseye on their back. If he pulls out those three wins, which I doubt, UTEP would not be a top seed in CUSA tournament, but a heavy favorite. That's March Madness momentum.

But he can't look past USM. Not after a humiliating loss to Marshall.

After last night's win I'm chalking up Marshall's loss to growing pains. What matters is they responded with a big road win that most of us didn't expect. Now set up to finish at least 18-12 or 17-13 regular season. I think that's a bit more than we expected with this team in Golding's 1st year. I'm still saying it'll be good to play in after season tournament as a springboard for next year. Or just win the tourney and go to NCAA even better!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT