ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Jones

Ive liked and agreed with how Kugler has run this program with discipline as the cornerstone. However, his decision not to suspend Jones is a mistake. You cant build a program on discipline then not suspend a player for DWI. Even Urban Meyer who is not known as a disciplinarian suspended his starting qb for a dui. A one or two game suspension was merited and Kugler has undermined the cornerstone of his program.

Ive liked and agreed with how Kugler has run this program with discipline as the cornerstone. However, his decision not to suspend Jones is a mistake. You cant build a program on discipline then not suspend a player for DWI. Even Urban Meyer who is not known as a disciplinarian suspended his starting qb for a dui. A one or two game suspension was merited and Kugler has undermined the cornerstone of his program.

Well there you have it, Kugler just established his go-forward DUI standard for the UTEP football program. UTEP players who get legally drunk, drive, and get arrested for DUI will not be subject to additional program penalties IF they enroll in a pre-trial diversion program (an option available to all first-time DUI offender). Fair enough, that's his prerogative. But do NOT advertise yourself as the "law and order" coach unless you're willing to hold your players - all of your players - to a higher standard.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Well there you have it, Kugler just established his go-forward DUI standard for the UTEP football program. UTEP players who get legally drunk, drive, and get arrested for DUI will not be subject to additional program penalties IF they enroll in a pre-trial diversion program (an option available to all first-time DUI offender). Fair enough, that's his prerogative. But do NOT advertise yourself as the "law and order" coach unless you're willing to hold your players - all of your players - to a higher standard.

It's been well known that more capable (star) players get treated differently than line guys. Jimmy Johnson was famous for it with his differentiation between how he treated Troy Aikman vs. Curvin Richards (the one who fumbled the ball twice against the Chicago Bears).

I agree Kugs has played hardball with his players, even to a fault at times IMO, but not disciplining Jones sends the wrong message to his team. A less capable player gets arrested for DUI, I doubt Kugs would accept a diversion program for him without a nice suspension to go along with it (if not kicked off the team).

How about the fact that this kid has been a model citizen and a class act, and this was his first mistake. Or how about there was internal punishment that the team and coaches know about, but we don't. Or how about we stop being so judgmental like we know it all, How about that?!

nattybry, you are spot on. But the Debby-Downers, Faux Fans and trolls that infest this site would not have anything to poop on. God forbid we have a good season in football because they might get suicidal.

Exactly, If Kugler suspends the kid for 2-3 games everybody would be bitching why, he isn't playing and how it will cost a win or two. Team punishment and program assignment for a first time and off-season offense is more than adequate IMO. There is no double standard.

How about the fact that this kid has been a model citizen and a class act, and this was his first mistake. Or how about there was internal punishment that the team and coaches know about, but we don't. Or how about we stop being so judgmental like we know it all, How about that?!

Thank you. Too many Monday morning quarterback. Let the coach coach. It's his team, afterall

I don't think it's a case of people Monday Morning QB'ing Kugs. Not even close. Season hasn't started yet! lmao.

However, Kugs has established a strong disciplinary arm with his team. Any coach (or player for that matter) will tell you when you draw that thick line in the ground that has to apply to everyone. Of course, you're gonna make exceptions, but those are soft exceptions, not hard ones. Like a previous poster wrote, if another player is arrested for the same thing, will Kug's give them a pass? I doubt he would and that is the type of action that starts that unraveling of the team concept they build during camp. Being arrested is a hard one. Being late to a meeting is a soft one.

Players know the better players are treated differently, however, they expect everyone to be held to the same standard. Otherwise a coach loses credibility. When that happens it's practically zero chance of getting that back. I for one am not losing any sleep over this incident with Jones. Kug's coaches this team. They will be what he makes, shapes, folds, develops them into.

Just FYI, this is a discussion board. I don't recall, when this situation first occurred anyone slamming Jones and kicking his lunch pail down the road. Everyone's concern was how many games he might miss. It's zero now and people are surprised. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's been well known that more capable (star) players get treated differently than line guys. Jimmy Johnson was famous for it with his differentiation between how he treated Troy Aikman vs. Curvin Richards (the one who fumbled the ball twice against the Chicago Bears).

I agree Kugs has played hardball with his players, even to a fault at times IMO, but not disciplining Jones sends the wrong message to his team. A less capable player gets arrested for DUI, I doubt Kugs would accept a diversion program for him without a nice suspension to go along with it (if not kicked off the team).

Ah yes, the Jerry Jones NFL world of discipline:

"...During a training-camp melee within the team's facility at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas, wide receiver Michael Irvin stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors. The victim, an offensive lineman named Everett McIver, had refused Irvin's demand to rise from the barber's chair during a haircut. Following an exchange of shoves and punches, McIver found himself grasping his neck, blood shooting from a two-inch gash. "The whole scene was crazy," said Cowboys cornerback Kevin Smith. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, we were on the same team."

[Michael Irvin] Having already been on probation for an incident involving a motel room, drugs and strippers, Irvin was all but guaranteed jail time after this episode. So instead of letting the legal system run its course, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys' front office stepped in. McIver was paid handsomely to never report the stabbing, and when everyone involved later spoke of "horseplay" gone awry, McIver nodded and moved on with his life. (A word of wisdom for the kiddies: Don't get into an argument when the other guy is holding scissors. It rarely ends well)...."

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/081016

Ah yes, the Jerry Jones NFL world of discipline:

"...During a training-camp melee within the team's facility at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas, wide receiver Michael Irvin stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors. The victim, an offensive lineman named Everett McIver, had refused Irvin's demand to rise from the barber's chair during a haircut. Following an exchange of shoves and punches, McIver found himself grasping his neck, blood shooting from a two-inch gash. "The whole scene was crazy," said Cowboys cornerback Kevin Smith. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, we were on the same team."

[Michael Irvin] Having already been on probation for an incident involving a motel room, drugs and strippers, Irvin was all but guaranteed jail time after this episode. So instead of letting the legal system run its course, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys' front office stepped in. McIver was paid handsomely to never report the stabbing, and when everyone involved later spoke of "horseplay" gone awry, McIver nodded and moved on with his life. (A word of wisdom for the kiddies: Don't get into an argument when the other guy is holding scissors. It rarely ends well)...."

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/081016

"...paid handsomely..." that had to include a few zeros in front of that decimal point.

Who will the angry mob with their torches already lit yell and scream at? Seriously, I just got my pitchfork back from the sharpener this afternoon. WTH??

Reactions: allminer
Since it happened so far from the season I think its fair that he wasn't punished by missing games. Im sure Kug made his life HELL in practice. Now if this happened mid season, then hell yeah he should sit.

Since it happened so far from the season I think its fair that he wasn't punished by missing games. Im sure Kug made his life HELL in practice. Now if this happened mid season, then hell yeah he should sit.

Just simply cannot follow that logic, what difference does it make when the incident occurred? College football is a 12 month season, they just happen to play games 12 times during that period. At the time, there was not a poster on this board that did not fully expect Jones to be suspended, the only speculation was for the number of games. And look, you get stadium steps and gassers for missing class, not for being arrested for being legally drunk behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Bottom line, as I've said before, it's Kugler's program, he can run it any way he sees fit. But don't advertise yourself as the "law and order" coach when you do not hold your players to a higher standard. Jones is a good kid, but he was arrested and essentially plead guilty (deferred adjudication) for an offense in which many thousands lose their lives each year. That ain't exactly cutting class...

I was at the Durham Center in April and in the elevator there was a sign posted for athletes who owed commitment hours. There were names of players and the dates they had to serve the hours. Aaron Jones was on the list and it said indefinite. So, my belief is that Kugler has been dealing with this in house pretty sufficiently.

I was at the Durham Center in April and in the elevator there was a sign posted for athletes who owed commitment hours. There were names of players and the dates they had to serve the hours. Aaron Jones was on the list and it said indefinite. So, my belief is that Kugler has been dealing with this in house pretty sufficiently.
Agree. But remember that there are people on this board that want the Miners and/or Kugler to fail. Have to take that into account.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT