ADVERTISEMENT

After. Watching the presser

shyminer81

MI Hall of Famer
May 22, 2006
Vancouver Washington
I kinda like the hire lol. I think it's night and day from Kuglers sloppy ass presser. He presents himself in a good manner. He shows confidence in what he wants to do. He understands the program and where it stands. He may not be the flash hire we all wanted. I think he can really build the program. His choices for OC and DC will show us alot more. Not to mention his name was #2 trend on Yahoo today. I think his recruiting will be towards the top half of CUSA. I hope he can land a nice juco qb. Go Miners!

If any of you sleuths want to guess who he's going to hire, look who was coaching with him at KSU, Wyoming, and Houston. The KSU tree folks tend to follow each other around (like most I'm sure).

Michael Smith-offense
Mark Mangino (no really, I can see it)- offense
Mike Cox-defense
Jake Waters (successful KSU QB, now grad asst. at Iowa State)
Joe Bob Clements (okie state, longshot)
Joe Gordon- former KSU player that did some recruiting, I can see him filling a role
Chris Cosh-defensive
Johnathan Beasley- another form QB, coaches at Tarleton State I think
Vic Keonning- def. coordinator for Troy, I think they were close. Saw them out multiple times grabbing lunch etc. together. Think he backfilled Dimel at Wyoming (and not well)
Phil Bennett-seriously doubt it but he may be out of a job at Arizona State and TX is his home state.

If any of you sleuths want to guess who he's going to hire, look who was coaching with him at KSU, Wyoming, and Houston. The KSU tree folks tend to follow each other around (like most I'm sure).

Michael Smith-offense
Mike Cox-defense
Joe Gordon- former KSU player that did some recruiting, I can see him filling a role
Chris Cosh-defensive
Vic Keonning- def. coordinator for Troy, I think they were close. Saw them out multiple times grabbing lunch etc. together. Think he backfilled Dimel at Wyoming (and not well)
Phil Bennett-seriously doubt it but he may be out of a job at Arizona State and TX is his home state.

Mangino for OC would be awesome!

Mangino for OC would be awesome!
I wouldn't get your hopes up. But I think he's out of the job and viewed as toxic by many in the profession. He did some things that screwed KSU over, then had an iffy reputation at KU, and wasn't exactly smooth in his exit at Iowa State.

Still, I can see it making sense here. Mangino's known Dimel for a long time so maybe he wouldn't be such a Richard to him.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
I wouldn't get your hopes up. But I think he's out of the job and viewed as toxic by many in the profession. He did some things that screwed KSU over, then had an iffy reputation at KU, and wasn't exactly smooth in his exit at Iowa State.

Still, I can see it making sense here. Mangino's known Dimel for a long time so maybe he wouldn't be such a Richard to him.

Mangino is a talented OC — all would be forgiven here as long as he spices up the offense, which wouldn’t be hard to do haha.

I don't hate it as much as I did yesterday, after hearing the press conference and him on 600.

However, UTEP still gets a F for excitement and making a splash. Did not see any major website have a story or even a blurb on the hire.

One whiner player is your case — WGAF.
I don't know if that's fair. There were a lot that apparently came out to the administration. I think his sideline admonishment of sending that one kid back to the hood or whatever it was is on film.

Still love this:

Reactions: El Paso 777
I kinda like the hire lol. I think it's night and day from Kuglers sloppy ass presser. He presents himself in a good manner. He shows confidence in what he wants to do. He understands the program and where it stands. He may not be the flash hire we all wanted. I think he can really build the program. His choices for OC and DC will show us alot more. Not to mention his name was #2 trend on Yahoo today. I think his recruiting will be towards the top half of CUSA. I hope he can land a nice juco qb. Go Miners!

I agree, love this hire. He was GA and got promoted. Became youngest coach in country got a better job. Was an assistant at Arizona got promoted, went back to KState and got promoted, now he's our head coach. Everywhere he's gone as an assistant the head coach has promoted him. Plus, 3 different AD's have thought he was good enough to be the head coach.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I agree, love this hire. He was GA and got promoted. Became youngest coach in country got a better job. Was an assistant at Arizona got promoted, went back to KState and got promoted, now he's our head coach. Everywhere he's gone as an assistant the head coach has promoted him. Plus, 3 different AD's have thought he was good enough to be the head coach.
So why are you being such a Richard on that other thread?

I honestly think its a good hire, but it carries risk.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner

Michael Smith-offense
Mike Cox-defense
Chris Cosh-defensive
Thanks for inside info Waggcat. After last season, it sounds like a decent hire. Hope you become an honorary Miner Fan. Or at least follow our team. PICKS UP !!!

Thanks for inside info Waggcat. After last season, it sounds like a decent hire. Hope you become an honorary Miner Fan. Or at least follow our team. PICKS UP !!!
Do you have some sort of hand sign/signal thing like every other blessed team in Texas? Horns up, sic em bears etc?

Otherwise, yes. I'll cheer for Dimel all the way.

Do you have some sort of hand sign/signal thing like every other blessed team in Texas? Horns up, sic em bears etc?

Otherwise, yes. I'll cheer for Dimel all the way.

feature-u-hand.png

No! ****ing no!

He's a ****ing asshat whose day has come and gone.

He is a has been. Trust me on this one.
If you could just put Mangino in a box and never have him talk to players or media and just call plays on Saturdays, it would be all good :)

I just think its possible. However, Dimel went pretty heavy on the "character" pitch in his conference and bringing in Mangino doesn't really fit that agenda, quite frankly.

Is Pancho’s all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet still around?

Gawd dayum i wish that place still existed. You could eat like a king for less than $5, and the food was made from scratch.

Last i heard the owners of the Panchos franchise shut everything down without explanation. Only a couple privately owned ones still exist

Gawd dayum i wish that place still existed. You could eat like a king for less than $5, and the food was made from scratch.

Last i heard the owners of the Panchos franchise shut everything down without explanation. Only a couple privately owned ones still exist

Remember how you’d raise your flag when you wanted more food?

Mangino would never lower his flag.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Remember how you’d raise your flag when you wanted more food?

Mangino would never lower his flag.

I'd say he'd never leave the building if it weren't for that never ending "happy birthday" song that would get played over the speakers.

That song used to get stuck in my head for days. Funny how EVERYONE eating there always shared the same birthday...

I we
I'd say he'd never leave the building if it weren't for that never ending "happy birthday" song that would get played over the speakers.

That song used to get stuck in my head for days. Funny how EVERYONE eating there always shared the same birthday...
I went with a buddy one time and there was this chubby little kid, about 10 years old, that would walk by our table on his way to the nacho bar singing "nacho, nacho man". He's close to 40 now. I hate you wherever you are.

If you could just put Mangino in a box and never have him talk to players or media and just call plays on Saturdays, it would be all good :)

I just think its possible. However, Dimel went pretty heavy on the "character" pitch in his conference and bringing in Mangino doesn't really fit that agenda, quite frankly.

Lol. If it was 10 years ago, I'd have to agree with you. I don't know man. I know he was a hell of an offensive mind most of his career. I do, however, think his time has come and gone, though. His tenure at ISU was much less than spectacular, and bordered on the under side of decent. Health, and a certain aspect of health in particular, has dulled his capacity to be creative and think outside the box like he used to. With his penchant for player abuse added in, he's not worth it. Hope Dimel sees it the same.

A) No Panchos closed
B) Kappy at ESPN Big 600 said Cox may be the DC but he was not 100% certain
C) Monchichi has baggage, but then again the Dimel hire says UTEP is open to status quo and if they hire Monchi, Natalicio has proven everyone on here and to everyone else she really is absolutely clueless to the world and culture of american college athletics.

Lol. If it was 10 years ago, I'd have to agree with you. I don't know man. I know he was a hell of an offensive mind most of his career. I do, however, think his time has come and gone, though. His tenure at ISU was much less than spectacular, and bordered on the under side of decent. Health, and a certain aspect of health in particular, has dulled his capacity to be creative and think outside the box like he used to. With his penchant for player abuse added in, he's not worth it. Hope Dimel sees it the same.
Agree with your general sentiment. To be fair, his ISU roster was trash. It was quite interesting to see him actually move the ball with very very mundane talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT