ADVERTISEMENT

American targeting Mountain West powers among handful of expansion candidates in realignment

I like the idea at the end of the article, of just realigning the schools based on their region.

Enough of this nonsense of trying to invite SDSU and FAU to the same conference. It's ridiculous that the Power 5 conferences are doing it, but they have their own networks getting subscribers based on TV footprint (I think that business model is going to crash within the next decade, though, and already is with the decline of cable).

The thing that makes the most economic sense for these G5 schools is to minimize their travel costs. Athletic conferences based on region: what a concept! Natural regional rivalries! Wow!

Last edited:
If the aac is successful in taking 4 from the mwc including Boise St, then the mwc will not be able to take Tulsa. I feel confident that UTEP would be among 4 replacements that might include all 4 cusa Texas schools. That would be a good home for UTEP until the next seismic shift in cfb realignment.

Article today that the PAC 12 has targeted TCU and Houston. It seems like their invite is inevitable. That will leave the Big 12 grabbing more schools. I think this will be the last seismic shift in college football. Four power conferences has always been the end game. We're basically there with a few pieces yet to fall.

Article today that the PAC 12 has targeted TCU and Houston. It seems like their invite is inevitable. That will leave the Big 12 grabbing more schools. I think this will be the last seismic shift in college football. Four power conferences has always been the end game. We're basically there with a few pieces yet to fall.
Oh ok. So the Pac 12 didn’t want them a month ago and now they’re going to get invites? How much do you want to bet this “inevitable invite” isn’t coming?

MW teams aren't going anywhere. This is the time for MW to attack and poach Tulsa and SMU. CUSA could grab two more like ECU and Tulane. The SB can have the other three or four teams. Assuming Navy jumps off that sinking ship.

MW teams aren't going anywhere. This is the time for MW to attack and poach Tulsa and SMU. CUSA could grab two more like ECU and Tulane. The SB can have the other three or four teams. Assuming Navy jumps off that sinking ship.
Why would Tulsa and/or SMU pay a $10 million exit fee for higher travel cost, no espn exposure to play Wyoming, SJSU, Utah St, etc. UTEP belongs in the MWC but SMU and Tulsa?

Why would Tulsa and/or SMU pay a $10 million exit fee for higher travel cost, no espn exposure to play Wyoming, SJSU, Utah St, etc. UTEP belongs in the MWC but SMU and Tulsa?
I think leaving the American would be side step at best if they left. I think American grabbing teams from the South like App St, UAB, FAU, and Louisiana would be good. Coastal and UTSA would be another target.

Reactions: FedupMiner
does it really matter now??? Its just all the same .
For us? Not really. We’re already at the bottom.

Unfortunately, both of our major revenue sports are dead in the water, at this point. Hope y’all are staying healthy, because my guess is you’ll be waiting a long, long, long time before you ever see a UTEP team do anything significant again…

Reactions: Lil_Train

I thought the PAC 12 did not take religious affiliated schools?

Reactions: JCorona
With what is left in the AAC, added travel and the instability of conference realignment, don't think many MWC teams are going to bite. I think with teams in CUSA or SB the chances of moving around have a lot higher probability.

Power move by MW to clearly become the best g5. Kind of what AAC wants to do now. If AAC loses two more members their NCAA auto bid is in jeopardy.

SMU and Tulsa in a division with UNM, Colorado St, Wyoming, Air Force and Utah St would cut down on a lot of travel. It's a nice division for everyone involved.

Why Houston and TCU?

"The Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that the TCU Horned Frogs and Houston Cougars, the latter of whom recently accepted an invite to join the Big 12 Conference, were very, very, very close to accepting an invite to join the big guys out west in the Pac-12 Conference.

From the Star-Telegram: “According to sources close to this latest conference round of major conference re-alignment, the Pac-12 targeted both the University of Houston and TCU as its preferred expansion candidates. Both schools were considered desirable by the league because of quality athletic departments in schools that are located in major metropolitan markets in the central time zone. The conference was so far down the road on extending an invite to these two schools there was some confusion as to why TCU was contemplating altering its long standing tradition of having a pre-game prayer before home football games.”

In other words, it’s fair to say the offer, to some extent, is still on the table."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...pac-12-expansion-miranda-elish-cameron-dicker

Stupid move by PAC 12 but things need to play out.

The Sun Bowl game has lost its luster, its not getting a marquee matchup, locally it is not an event that moves the needle any longer but like Miner Football, there is still a ticket buying audience that will go no matter the teams.

With that being said, Is there any possiblity that the Sun Bowl can team with the MWC and put UTEP in that deal.

I believe that the Sun Bowl would be by far the MWC highest Bowl Payout. Sun Bowl pays 4.5 million and my quick glance research looks like the highest MWC payout is 1.5 million.

We get the MWC Champion vs. Pac 12 (7th or 8th) or whatever bottom feeder Pac 12 school we currently get.

The Sun Bowl game has lost its luster, its not getting a marquee matchup, locally it is not an event that moves the needle any longer but like Miner Football, there is still a ticket buying audience that will go no matter the teams.

With that being said, Is there any possiblity that the Sun Bowl can team with the MWC and put UTEP in that deal.

I believe that the Sun Bowl would be by far the MWC highest Bowl Payout. Sun Bowl pays 4.5 million and my quick glance research looks like the highest MWC payout is 1.5 million.

We get the MWC Champion vs. Pac 12 (7th or 8th) or whatever bottom feeder Pac 12 school we currently get.
Nope. Not happening. The second the Sun Bowl goes to G5, either by choice or necessity, CBS is gone. What if the MWC champion is Wyoming or Fresno? Who is going to attend or watch that?

The Sun Bowl needs to worry about themselves, not UTEP. UTEP has proven they don’t care about football and will live at the bottom of any conference they’re in.

Houston has already accepted their invitation to the Big 12...

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The disappointing thing about all of this is that UTEP can only wait, wait and then wait.....sort of like closing time and we're the last ugly girl/guy getting asked to dance and we better hope they have beer goggles on.

Except that we are the ugly guy who keeps asking and getting rejected. All we can do is go home and rub one out.

Nope. Not happening. The second the Sun Bowl goes to G5, either by choice or necessity, CBS is gone. What if the MWC champion is Wyoming or Fresno? Who is going to attend or watch that?

The Sun Bowl needs to worry about themselves, not UTEP. UTEP has proven they don’t care about football and will live at the bottom of any conference they’re in.

The money for the payouts comes from the 5% car rental tax. CBS contributes $300,000.

Attendance has been sad for years. If they change to ESPN and get paid no money from ESPN, they'd still payout several million more than any other bowl.

I know its not going to happen, but UTEP has nothing to attractive to offer a new conference

I thought the PAC 12 did not take religious affiliated schools?
TCU is very loosely associated with the Church of Christ. Over the last decade they have sought to separate themselves from the Church. They don't have mandatory chapel. The last vestige is the pregame prayer which they are willing to scrap for the PAC 12.

Why doesnt big brother UTexas help UTEP and UTSA?? Are they not all related??
They don't care. The UT System Board of Regents is in charge of the UT system schools. They probably don't see a benefit of doing anything currently for anything besides of voting UT Austin into the SEC which they did.

Reactions: kickballpro
In 2012 TCU excepted an invite to the Big East and three months later excepted a invite to the Big 12.

TCU “joined” the Big East before Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced their departures to the ACC. Then a more regional conference with past rivals came calling. It was a no brainer. Sending your basketball and baseball teams to Oregon and Washington for maybe the same amount or less money, and on a network very few have, is not a “no brainer”.

Again, let’s bet on this happening.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
They don't care. The UT System Board of Regents is in charge of the UT system schools. They probably don't see a benefit of doing anything currently for anything besides of voting UT Austin into the SEC which they did.

Oh they do care, they care we are stealing their resources. 90% of the budget used to be for UT Austin and the rest of the schools got the remaining 10%. Natalicio and LULAC sued the UT System for discrimination and they won and that's how the UGLC was paid for.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Oh they do care, they care we are stealing their resources. 90% of the budget used to be for UT Austin and the rest of the schools got the remaining 10%. Natalicio and LULAC sued the UT System for discrimination and they won and that's how the UGLC was paid for.

Does Ut Austin make any money from Utep?? If Utep went D2 wouldny UT Austin lose money??

UT Austin would never allow UTSA, UTEP or any other UT-affiliate school to gain power especially on an athletic level. Why else would the UT System state that schools can’t divert academic funds to offset athletic budgets. UT Austin is the only school that can field a good program under those rules.

I think the perfect storm is brewing again. We're going to need the $10 people to jump on the bandwagon once UTEP starts winning.

Think back to 03 did anyone think we were in any position to go anywhere?

Once UTEP is 5-1 we will need 35-45k at the Sun Bowl for LT. Once UTEP is 6-2 we will need another 45k for UTSA.

Golding has to do his thing but imo basketball will be fine under him.

Let's see who fails their part. The team or the fans.

I think the perfect storm is brewing again. We're going to need the $10 people to jump on the bandwagon once UTEP starts winning.

Once UTEP is 5-1 we will need 35-45k at the Sun Bowl for LT. Once UTEP is 6-2 we will need another 45k for UTSA.

My guess——-neither

Dimel

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT