ADVERTISEMENT

American targeting Mountain West powers among handful of expansion candidates in realignment

It's a damned shame that UTEP is nowhere in those conversations. Already left behind twice when the MWC was formed and then when the AAC was formed.

I don't think the AAC will simply add schools. Maybe they will; who really knows how it will shake out. But, I would not be surprised by an AAC/SBC/C-USA realignment of sorts in which UTEP gets left with the shittiest of the shitty unwanteds. Left behind for a 3rd time.

Reactions: kickballpro
It's just crazy that Air Force would turn down the Big 12 a decade ago but now joins the AAC.

It's a damned shame that UTEP is nowhere in those conversations. Already left behind twice when the MWC was formed and then when the AAC was formed.

I don't think the AAC will simply add schools. Maybe they will; who really knows how it will shake out. But, I would not be surprised by an AAC/SBC/C-USA realignment of sorts in which UTEP gets left with the shittiest of the shitty unwanteds. Left behind for a 3rd time.
Totally agree that its a damn shame. If UTEP lucks out this time around and gets into the mwc then UTEP leaders need to really step up their support and expectations and not allow our teams to languish near the bottom like they did when the mwc formed. If UTEP is not fortunate and is left behind again then our leadership needs to make up their minds on either pulling the plug on football or get serious and raise and spend the money needed for a damn good and exciting coaching staff, keep improving facilities and make sure all bases are covered. Otherwise we will continue to have small crowds and a caca conference.

Interesting. I don't know how far those discussions actually got, but I can understand Air Force's perspective. The top priority for the service academies isn't the profit motive, and the MWC was a good fit for them competitively. I wonder what the Big 12 thought they would bring to the table.

Smart decision by MW schools. I imagine even if those two had moved the new TV deal of the AAC would be similar to what they're making in the MW but with added travel costs.

I still don't understand how this benefits Colorado State and Air Force. The travel costs are going to increase. I don't see the addition of these schools benefiting the American either with regards to their TV deal. I guess they're anticipating Boise State and San Diego State leaving the Mountain West, and figure they need to get out now while they can. Don't you just love college athletics?

Reactions: kickballpro
CUSA was going to get raided either way. Where do you think MW was going to get their replacements from?
Depended on if they decided to replace those 2 or not. Could have remained at 10. Not sure if UTSA or whoever would have joined, knowing that Boise had 1 foot out of the door. They would probably take an AAC invite over MWC.

I still don't understand how this benefits Colorado State and Air Force. The travel costs are going to increase. I don't see the addition of these schools benefiting the American either with regards to their TV deal. I guess they're anticipating Boise State and San Diego State leaving the Mountain West, and figure they need to get out now while they can. Don't you just love college athletics?
Well, they’re not going

Depended on if they decided to replace those 2 or not. Could have remained at 10. Not sure if UTSA or whoever would have joined, knowing that Boise had 1 foot out of the door. They would probably take an AAC invite over MWC.
You're right why would UTSA and UNT want to go to a conference that pays 4 million when they're getting 200k. Even if the MW tv is slashed in half that's still 10x more.

You're also right why would the MW want to expand knowing Boise and SDSU have one foot out the door. I'm sure their ultimate goal is to fold.

You're right why would UTSA and UNT want to go to a conference that pays 4 million when they're getting 200k. Even if the MW tv is slashed in half that's still 10x more.

You're also right why would the MW want to expand knowing Boise and SDSU have one foot out the door. I'm sure their ultimate goal is to fold.
Not 200k, it's 400k. That's why everyone wants in cusa. Lol

Reactions: JCorona

That’s not what I said. Why would UTSA join the MWC when a AAC invite could be in play. Not that they remain in CUSA.

The SBC has 10 teams, they’re not in danger of folding.

That’s not what I said. Why would UTSA join the MWC when a AAC invite could be in play. Not that they remain in CUSA.

The SBC has 10 teams, they’re not in danger of folding.
Now UTSA is in play for the AAC. Had the MW teams accepted that pretty much sealed their fate in CUSA and opened up spots in the MW. Thus UTSa and Unt top candidates.

I don't know what the SB has to do with anything.

Now UTSA is in play for the AAC. Had the MW teams accepted that pretty much sealed their fate in CUSA and opened up spots in the MW. Thus UTSa and Unt top candidates.

I don't know what the SB has to do with anything.
UTSA was/is always in play for the AAC because you would want to be associated with Eastern schools, not Wyoming, Fresno, and San Jose St.

If the MWC lost CSU and AFA, they could have remained at 10 and not add anybody. They wouldn’t be in danger of folding, just like the SBC.

UTSA was/is always in play for the AAC because you would want to be associated with Eastern schools, not Wyoming, Fresno, and San Jose St.

If the MWC lost CSU and AFA, they could have remained at 10 and not add anybody. They wouldn’t be in danger of folding, just like the SBC.
Like I said Money. Replace the two Colorado schools with the two Texas schools and the payout is in the millons not 400k or even less once we're carved up.

You're right again why would UTSA want to associate with a current undefeated team, a team that was in the top 25 last year and another that's in the top25 right now. Naw let's stay in CUSA.

At 10 members with two members with one foot out the door puts the conference in high alert. If in five years those two members leave what incentive does anyone other than UTEP/NMSU have to join? If the MW had lost two teams they would have expanded to keep their tv value and add reassurance to the other members.

You're right again why would UTSA want to associate with a current undefeated team, a team that was in the top 25 last year and another that's in the top25 right now. Naw let's stay in CUSA.

Because they’re in Texas??? Wyoming has beat Montana St, NIU, Ball St, and UConn. Definitely a football power that any school should hitch their wagon on! Oh yeah, San Jose St is an excellent program that gets 10k a game. Wow! Fresno is good, but what recruits is UTSA going to get from Fresno and Reno?

Once Boise leaves the MWC, UTSA would be in a league with those schools, with UNM as their nearest conference mate. Not an easy decision unless you know Boise is remaining.

Because they’re in Texas??? Wyoming has beat Montana St, NIU, Ball St, and UConn. Definitely a football power that any school should hitch their wagon on! Oh yeah, San Jose St is an excellent program that gets 10k a game. Wow! Fresno is good, but what recruits is UTSA going to get from Fresno and Reno?

Once Boise leaves the MWC, UTSA would be in a league with those schools, with UNM as their nearest conference mate. Not an easy decision unless you know Boise is remaining.
Lol utsa gets what 15k. Such a big difference. Like I said MONEY. One conference is about to get 200k once it's settled the other would have have stayed in the 2-3 million range. Actually UNT would have been their nearest conference mate.

All those schools you think are shit have accomplished more than anyone in CUSA3.0 has.

Lol utsa gets what 15k. Such a big difference. Like I said MONEY. One conference is about to get 200k once it's settled the other would have have stayed in the 2-3 million range. Actually UNT would have been their nearest conference mate.

All those schools you think are shit have accomplished more than anyone in CUSA3.0 has.
They’re not shit. They’re just not worth sending your basketball and volleyball teams there. At least UTSA gets some fans of other teams to their football and basketball games. How many Wyoming and UNLV fans are going to those games? How many UTSA fans are going to away games in the MWC?

Chris Vannini doesn’t know shit. Air Force, Colorado St, and Wyoming were all in the same quadrant and played every year during the WAC 16. That rivalry was never split up.

They’re not shit. They’re just not worth sending your basketball and volleyball teams there. At least UTSA gets some fans of other teams to their football and basketball games. How many Wyoming and UNLV fans are going to those games? How many UTSA fans are going to away games in the MWC?
Imo it's not worth staying in failing conference that's probably going to get their already shitty TV deal slashed when you could go make at least 2 million more per year and play on ESPN. After all this conversation is pointless. MW is staying put and UTSA'S only lifeline is hope they've done enough for the AAc to add them.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Chris Vannini doesn’t know shit. Air Force, Colorado St, and Wyoming were all in the same quadrant and played every year during the WAC 16. That rivalry was never split up.
Is he? Are you sure? Don't you remember the Mountain and Pacific pod swapped teams every two years.

Imo it's not worth staying in failing conference that's probably going to get their already shitty TV deal slashed when you could go make at least 2 million more per year and play on ESPN. After all this conversation is pointless. MW is staying put and UTSA'S only lifeline is hope they've done enough for the AAc to add them.
I understand what you’re saying. I am just saying, it’s not an 100% yes to move to the MWC if you’re UTSA or UNT if you believe that Boise will leave within a few years. Maybe they take SDSU or 2 other teams, then you’re “stuck” with Wyoming and San Jose.

if AAC take UTSA, UNT, UAB and Charlotte. Will MWC stay put, knowing they will lose Boise soon? Or take UTEP/Rice or NMSU… I wouldn’t be shocked to see the sunbelt take USM and possibly a Marshall or WKU/FIU

if AAC take UTSA, UNT, UAB and Charlotte. Will MWC stay put, knowing they will lose Boise soon? Or take UTEP/Rice or NMSU… I wouldn’t be shocked to see the sunbelt take USM and possibly a Marshall or WKU/FIU
If that happens, how does taking UTEP and Rice make your league better? The SBC could pick off who they wanted, though I believe they could do that now.

End of the day, CUSA needs to split off somehow. UTEP and ODU really have no business in a conference together.
That's not what Uncle Bob was thinking when we joined. He wanted UTEP to be on east coast print and no one was biatching in the early 2000's when UTEP made the move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT