ADVERTISEMENT

Areas where UTEP Athletics/Marketing failed last night.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
This post is related to the fan experience in the stands and are just some areas where UTEP could look to improve:

1.). Half-Time Show was a mess.

At half-time, UTEP brought out a couple of hundred little girls out onto the field to perform some dance routine. They marched into the stadium and got into position on the field. A Justin Timberlake song came on and the girls began their dance routine. After about 45 seconds the song suddenly stopped and the girls stopped not knowing what to do. The song then started all over again from the beginning, and the little girls restarted and began doing their routine from the beginning again. Then after another short 45 seconds or so, then the song just suddenly stopped again. The announcer appeared to just give up and said something like "let's have a round of applause". I was looking down on the field and Laura Rayborn was pissed off and yelling at the UTEP Staff. I can't say that I blame her. I don't know anything about their performace or preparation for this, but I imagine that it must have really sucked to have coordinated a number of practices for a couple of hundred kids, got them all matching white UTEP outfits, got all of them to the stadium, marched them out onto the field and put them into position, but then they couldn't perform their routine because a song couldn't be played and they all had to exit the field without completing their performance. Not sure where the issue was, but this was what UTEP's offered as it's half-time entertainment and it was just a very unorganized event.

2.). Promotional Giveaway was poorly executed.

There are only 4 ways for a fan to enter the Sun Bowl(North Entrance, Southeast Ramp, Southwest Ramp, and Southwest Stairs). I entered the Sunbowl exactly 40 minutes before the game started and entered at the Southwest Stairs as I always do. UTEP had advertised a free can cooler with a UTEP Football Helmet on it for the first 10,000 fans. I was at least one of the first 2,000 people there, yet there was no one giving out can coolers at my entrance. There had been someone there at the previous two games giving away items, but no one last night. While waiting for my Fiancee' to come out of the bathroom, I looked down and saw one guy giving out coolers at the Southwest ramp entrance. I walked down towards him but the poor guy giving them out wasn't prepared and the hand-out was going extremely slow, as he was having to grab a large "First Down" paper sign from one box, a small program from another box and then the cooler from another box, then he would hand that to one fan. Then he had to repeat grabbing each of the 3 separate items again and give it to the next fan. This was way too slow and not efficient when you have 21,000 fans entering your stadium.
This is just all about poor attention to detail from UTEP. If you are going to advertise a giveaway then: 1.) provide the giveaway at all four of your entrances. 2.) Provide more than one person to hand out the items at the entrances where you actually are handing out the items. 3.). Prepare your giveaway items in advance, so that they can be handed out efficiently and not "built" as fans are entering the stadium in groups.

3.). Student Section was maybe 1/10th full.

At some point, people have to be graded on results and UTEP marketing is doing an extremely poor job of getting students to attend football games, even though the Tickets are free for them! The student section has been poor for a while now, but last night was a complete embarrassment for UTEP.

UTEP marketing has an entire year to prepare for just 7 Home Games and these are the results?

On the positive side:

I was impressed with the "politeness" of the 21,000 people that did show up. Even as things grew more and more frustrating on the field, the fans in the stands groaned but handled themselves very maturely. There wasn't any booing in my section and even as people started to leave out of frustration, it was more of a "alright we're outta here, see you later" rather than the type of pissed off behavior that one would expect. I guess this could be veiwed as both good and bad, but ultimately it was just an odd politeness towards the team/situation.

The security in the light blue shirts was very welcoming. I remember the security guys used to wear yellow shirts, so I don't know if they changed companies in recent years, but this current group does a good job. When I arrived at the parking garage, the same guy from the first two games recognized me and welcomed me back. As we entered the game a young kid checking bags welcomed us to the stadium, and as we left another guy at the bottom told me "you guys have a nice night". I arrived before most people arrive and I left after most people had already left, so maybe that had something to do with it, but to still be personally and politely acknowledged on 3 separate occasions, by 3 separate individuals, is something positive that should be recognized from this group.

Last edited:
Yeah, that kids dance was a disaster.

I parked off of schuster in the Parking Garage. Someone recommended it a couple years ago on the board and it's become my spot. You take a shuttle and you get dropped off at the main gate.

Anyway, lack of crowd led to not many people riding the shuttle. We get to the stop and wait a good 15 minutes. There were 2 shuttles parked there but they were destined for the press box. No one got on those. Ours get there we get on, and we wait another 15-20 minutes so it can fill up. Missed the Aaron Jones run. The one highlight of the game.

UTEP changed from CSC security to Wheelan security.

The best bet is just to walk, you will get there much quicker than taking any shuttle.

21k?! Wow! I thought it was lower. Kugler football has to be driving Stull crazy. From last week to yesterday, UTEP has to have lost out of hundreds of thousands in gross revenue at the very least. There was a difference of twelve or thirteen thousand in just one week?

"Hello, Coach Saban?! Bob here at UTEP. We got an opening in 2018. What? You all got New Mexico State already? But they might not be in the FBS by then! WHAT? They're charged just how much?!! $500,000!! Damn! Well ok. I'll let you get back to film. Take care and keep in touch. Remember, Coronado Country Club over here will take you and the Mrs. any time. Okie dokie... You take care, too. [Hangup]. Dangnabbit those darn Aggies!!! Sunsamabeach!!"

21k?! Wow! I thought it was lower. Kugler football has to be driving Stull crazy. From last week to yesterday, UTEP has to have lost out of hundreds of thousands in gross revenue at the very least. There was a difference of twelve or thirteen thousand in just one week?

"Hello, Coach Saban?! Bob here at UTEP. We got an opening in 2018. What? You all got New Mexico State already? But they might not be in the FBS by then! WHAT? They're charged just how much?!! $500,000!! Damn! Well ok. I'll let you get back to film. Take care and keep in touch. Remember, Coronado Country Club over here will take you and the Mrs. any time. Okie dokie... You take care, too. [Hangup]. Dangnabbit those darn Aggies!!! Sunsamabeach!!"

I'm in tears from laughing. LOL. That was hilarious. LOL.

Reactions: UTEP05
The giveaways have always been poorly handled. When I went to the Army game there was a person at the tunnel to our section just standing with boxes of towels. And people were taking 5-10 towels at a time, like anyone needs that many.

I walked down towards him but the poor guy giving them out wasn't prepared and the hand-out was going extremely slow, as he was having to grab a large "First Down" paper sign from one box, a small program from another box and then the cooler from another box, then he would hand that to one fan. Then he had to repeat grabbing each of the 3 separate items again and give it to the next fan. This was way too slow and not efficient when you have 21,000 fans entering your stadium.

I really felt bad for that guy since it would have been way easier if somebody was helping him out. If there was a big crowd it would have taken a very long time.

I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents. Not much to do with marketing but the fan experience in general. I had an usher actually ask for my ticket to see if I was going to sit in the right section. You know the ushers standing in the tunnel to each section, well my ticket was for the sunny side and decided to sit where I usually sit, the shady side. She politely said I was in the wrong section and I looked at her in amazement and reminded her of all the empty seats above us. So I grabbed my ticket stub and went to the next section where there was no usher and just made my way up to my usual spot. As I sat there, with no one around me for a good 20ft radius, I would occasionally look down to see her and I'm sure she could see me as she looked up at me several times. I'm not sure these kids understand the concept of discretion.
My other gripe is the band, I've heard the same complaints on sportstalk, they're bland, they don't engage the fans...guess we were just spoiled with Dr. Feagin, he set the bar really high. Oh and can we quit playing that "Ohoo black betty" song, we've been playing that at both the football and basketball games for several years now and it is so annoying. We can't play another song, really...what the hell is the DJ or whatever the hell you call him thinking. Speaking of music, they used to play "EL Paso" prior to the game, which was a nice touch, and now it's gone...But we'll continue blaring Ohhh Black Betty!
One more thing, that "get your picks up" chant is just flat out embarrassing and they always seem to start it at the worst time of the game, whether we're behind or the game is out of hand. Go Miners would be suffice.

The 3rd down "Hell's Bell" toll is annoying, imo. I agree about Black Betty, just makes no sense. Kind of going off topic here but Black Betty, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Radar Love, Baker Street, Dream Weaver and Dy'er Maker are all songs that should be retired permanently from radio. Just had to vent that.

The "PICKS UP" chant is always done between the 3rd and 4th quarters of every game.

Sounds about right, about the time we're getting our a** handed to us. Then when the chant is done, the awkward silence...oh how I cringe!

I don't know if you went to the HBU/UTEP game, but it was done slightly different that game. Since there was almost no one in the student section the chant was done on the UTEP sideline on the Durham endzone side. Actually worked better because there were more fans and they were more willing to actually cheer along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT