ADVERTISEMENT

Bring Back Billy

Ok now run his numbers without the non D1 victories and tell me if his record is still impressive. How long did it take him to reach the NIT and NCAA? Why aren’t we allowing him the same time here?
It's the fact that there seems to be no game plan, no adjustments, no real player rotation, no acknowledgement of error by the coach, etc that bothers me. We have beat ourselves in most of the losses this year. This is what's unacceptable to me. How are we supposed to look for any improvement in the future with Terry? I didn't pay too much attention to his record at Fresno St., but I also didn't look into his coaching skills. I just presumed he knew what he was doing and would take a jump at UTEP.

Last edited:
It’s weird, but I feel like Terry did a better coaching job last season.

He lost to MTSU 3 times, Norfolk St, swept by UTSA, and blown out by Southern Miss by 30. We just accepted it because guys like Ountae Campbell and Giles Whatever were playing. He didn’t do a good job, but it’s his first year and got a free pass. As he should have.

Here’s my conspiracy theory.

There’s a ton of bad karma surrounding UTEP basketball and CRT.

It all started in 2010. Barbee earned a raised and a contract but Stull already had plans to bring Floyd back. Barbee got screwed here and so did we. We all dismissed Barbee as someone who didn’t like El Paso and wanted out. We all thought Floyd was the second coming of Haskins.

Terry left a good program and took his recruits with him. The joke was on him as he had the worst season in UTEP history and Fresno went on to win 22 games without him and his recruits.

Imo Terry purposely lost games last year so that this year his one year turnaround would be more impressive.

You can’t f&ck with life’s energy and not expect to receive what you put out.

Ok tin foil hat off now.

Terry left a good program and took his recruits with him. The joke was on him as he had the worst season in UTEP history and Fresno went on to win 22 games without him and his recruits.

How is RT’s 8-21 worse than Billy’s 6-24 in 2002-03?

Take away his non D1 wins. Compare the quality of losses. How many games in the conference tournament did Terry win last year?

He didn’t even make it. Billy’s team wouldn’t have made a conference tournament that year either. The 03 team had a worse record, they’re the worst. Less wins, more losses.

He didn’t even make it. Billy’s team wouldn’t have made a conference tournament that year either. The 03 team had a worse record, they’re the worst. Less wins, more losses.
That’s your opinion. Billy won a game in the tournament. Terry got to play the four worst teams in CUSA during pod play and lost to all four. Not all loses are the same. So more losses doesn’t necessarily mean worst team.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Ok now run his numbers without the non D1 victories and tell me if his record is still impressive. How long did it take him to reach the NIT and NCAA? Why aren’t we allowing him the same time here?
Ya the numbers are not impressive, but he still had three straight 20+ win seasons, an NCAA Tourney appearance and an NIT in his last 3 seasons at Fresno. No UTEP fan would be unimpressed with those results even playing non D1cupcakes in non-conference.(which we have done for a very long time). Tim Floyd had very impressive pre-UTEP numbers and couldn't even accomplish anything close to that in an easier conference, and Floyd would play cupcakes in non-conference play as well. So I guess we can say Terry was no slouch before he came to UTEP because he outperformed a coach with impressive numbers.
I didn't like the Terry hire and I wanted Senter to go the assistant route because that has worked well for us. But you can't blame fans for getting hyped up about Terry. We have been in the dumps for 10 years in BB, and we just hire a coach with 3 straight 20 + seasons, and he brings in 4 star Lathon, gets Bryson williams to leave Fresno, gets 3 star Efe to leave, signs Hawkins etc.. people are going to get excited after all those average years with Floyd. But at the same time, UTEP fans want results now, so it is understandable why people are frustrated now. This goes on in every fan base. It will always be part of sports.
So you think it is unfair because people hyped up Terry and turned on him. So would you consider it unfair for people to talk shit about Dismel until he has his players out on the field. In all fairness, people are judging him based off of Kuglers players.

Last edited:
Remember when Floyd had a twenty win season and went to the NIT? We were like HELL NAH.
bucket

Reactions: jdubb66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT