ADVERTISEMENT

Chat GPT and UTEP

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
I was playing around with Chat GPT, which is pretty cool. However, it is certainly not infallible. I asked it the following question:

Who is the greatest utep men's basketball player of all time?

It gave me the following answer:

It is difficult to say who the greatest UTEP men's basketball player of all time is, as it is a matter of personal opinion and different players have had different levels of success throughout the history of the program. However, there are some notable players who have made significant contributions to the program and have had successful careers in the sport.

One of the most notable players in the history of UTEP men's basketball is Nate Archibald, who played for the Miners from 1968 to 1970. Archibald is considered one of the greatest point guards of all time and led the NCAA in assists and scoring during the 1969-70 season. He was also the first player in NCAA history to lead the nation in both categories.

Another notable player is Tim Hardaway, who played for the Miners from 1985 to 1989. Hardaway was a five-time NBA All-Star and is considered one of the greatest point guards in NBA history.

Other notable players from UTEP include Nevil Shed, who was a 2-time All-American, and Marlon Maxey, who was a 2-time Conference USA Player of the Year.

It's worth noting that this is a difficult question to answer definitively as it depends on personal perspective and criteria for greatness.

The first two choices, Archibald and Hardaway, are definitely solid candidates, but there are some issues with several of Chat GPT's "facts":
  1. Archibald did not lead the country in scoring and assists in 1969-70. The leading scorer was Pete Maravich. I didn't find the leader in assists that year. Archibald did lead the NBA in both categories during the 1972-73 season.
  2. I love Nevil Shed, but he never made an All American team. Two of his teammates, David Lattin and Bobby Joe Hill, did. He was a great player, but certainly isn't among consideration for our best all time.
  3. Maxey never played in CUSA, he played in the WAC. As Hardaway is the only UTEP player to win WAC Player of the Year, he never won one conference POY award, let alone two. He did earn 2nd team All WAC honors in 1990 and was first team All WAC in 92. Another great player, but also not on the short list of our greatest ever.
In my mind, the short list for our all time greatest player is Archibald, Hardaway, Lattin, Hill, and Jim Barnes.

All that said, after playing with Chat GBT for a while I have to say that it is pretty impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT