ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching rumblings

I think Todd Graham would make a lot of sense. He had good success at both Rice and Tulsa, and he was also successful at Allen High School prior to that. He was the Pac 12 Coach of the Year just 3 years ago. This might be the best name yet in my opinion.

I think Todd Graham would make a lot of sense. He had good success at both Rice and Tulsa, and he was also successful at Allen High School prior to that. He was the Pac 12 Coach of the Year just 3 years ago. This might be the best name yet in my opinion.

Well it just came up that ASU will not fire Graham and keep him on. But you never know ? I say he prolly has 1 more year to prove himself.

MIW, didn't Mike Price come to us with success as a head coach? just sayin'.
Yes he did and man, the fan base was energized, the Sun Bowl had big crowds, the Miners went bowling 2 years in a row. And then we all died a slow, long, lingering death. Even in his last year, his team was more competitive vs better competition than the last 4 years. But I get your point. There are no guarantees. It just seems you're likely to have more success if you hire someone that has done it before. At least on some level.

Reactions: UTEP05
Do we really think Stull makes a change this year? IDK if he does, I think we have Kugler at least another year unfortunately
I have a feeling that Stull is going to give Kugler at least 1 more season. Stull will say Kugler is doing an excellent job given the fact that Kugler had to replace his OC and DC in the same season, Jones is retuning, and Stull doesn't use bowl games and wins/losses to evaluate Kuglers performance. And attendance is not an issue because we are 3rd in attendance in CUSA and the Sun Bowl is still one of the toughest places to play in for opposing teams.

I have a feeling that Stull is going to give Kugler at least 1 more season. Stull will say Kugler is doing an excellent job given the fact that Kugler had to replace his OC and DC in the same season, Jones is retuning, and Stull doesn't use bowl games and wins/losses to evaluate Kuglers performance. And attendance is not an issue because we are 3rd in attendance in CUSA and the Sun Bowl is still one of the toughest places to play in for opposing teams.

Its an interesting question. Stull doesnt like to fire anyone and we all know this. What makes this more difficult is that Kugler is like his son. He absolutely doesnt want to fire him.

The factor that I think will end the Kugler era is economics. Stull understands ecomics and understands that football is by far the most important.Next year we have only have five home games. Arizona was set up to be the marquee home game. The problem is they are headed for a 2-10 season. In the best of times Arizona fans dont travel well. Coming off a 2-10 season I wouldn't expect more than 2000 fans to come to El Paso. If Kugler is back I wouldnt expect more than 25,000 for the Arizona game.

The other issue is there are no money games next year. The OU game is a return trip for them coming here in 2012. With no money games and only five home games we have to maximize ticket sales revenue. That wont be possible if Kugler is back. In the end I think this economic reality will force Stull's hand.

Reactions: CubsFan81
There's also the chance Kugler stays true to his word and walks away. If we win the next two he might stay another year. If we go 0-2 or even split I think he resigns.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Mark Mangino should be in the mix. You are talking about a guy that took Kansas to a 12-1 record and an Orange Bowl. He was fired because he was too tough on the players, after all you should never hold them accountable.
This guy deserves a second chance.

Reactions: 66miners
Mark Mangino should be in the mix. You are talking about a guy that took Kansas to a 12-1 record and an Orange Bowl. He was fired because he was too tough on the players, after all you should never hold them accountable.

NO, NO, NO!!

Mangino was tough on his players x1000. I don't think many players would want to come play for him. There is a big difference between being tough on players and verbally abusing players.

http://es.pn/2bwMhwr

I was going to keep this under wraps until our bowl hopes were gone. Now that they are two people have told me Paul Petrino is the heavy favorite to be the next head coach at UTEP. He is the brother of Bobby and head coach at Idaho.

Word is at least one abd maybe both of Mike Price's sons will be on the staff. Stull does not want to fire Kugler but is under pressure from Natalicio to make a move. Two prominent boosters are demanding a change. With the state legislature set to make huge cuts to higher ed in the legislative session, Natalicio cant risk losing the support of two key donors.
Anyone who thinks that there will be a coaching change at UTEP has got to be on drugs. Kugler just hired a new defensive and offensive coordinator and he will get at least another year to right the ship. No doubt. I don't think Stull would make a change this year knowing that the staff is making difficult changes to both sides of the ball. It will not happen.

Reactions: CubsFan81
Anyone who thinks that there will be a coaching change at UTEP has got to be on drugs. Kugler just hired a new defensive and offensive coordinator and he will get at least another year to right the ship. No doubt. I don't think Stull would make a change this year knowing that the staff is making difficult changes to both sides of the ball. It will not happen.
Don't think so either.

I was listening to the tail end of Kugler's radio show while I was on the road and he stated he"s not going anywhere and plans to be building the program "for the long haul". I took it as he will not be stepping down, period. Now it could be boilerplate coach speak but the losses are mounting, however, I do see him coming back next year.

Kugler seems to think he will be back for next season. He is talking about the need to recruit more linebackers to the new scheme, etc. My problem with that is why switch systems for your 4th season if you don't already have the players for it. The excuse making is getting old.

This should be an AD decision and not left up to the coach. We really need a new AD pronto.

n
I was listening to the tail end of Kugler's radio show while I was on the road and he stated he"s not going anywhere and plans to be building the program "for the long haul". I took it as he will not be stepping down, period. Now it could be boilerplate coach speak but the losses are mounting, however, I do see him coming back next year.

You'reprobably right given Stull's history of never firing a coach, but a the same time any coach would keep planning until being told otherwise.

Last edited:
What about Todd Graham he about to get fired at ASU?He runs a great offense that puts up a lot of points. Its just defense have been crappy.

Todd Graham wanted the Texas job and had his people lobbying them behind the scenes. He wasn't high on their list, but had they lost out on ALL of their higher rated choices, Graham would've left ASU as fast as he could.

I don't believe ASU cans him this season. He'll have another and they'll go from there. Depending on how this season ends for several coaches and the subsequent jobs that open, Graham may leave on his own. Having said all of that, he's not and would not, come to UTEP. I've talked to that guy several times over the years (coaching clinics, practice visits, etc.). His ego would never let him go from a Power 5 conference job to a smaller conference job now. The only way UTEP would have a shot at him is if ASU fired him; no one wanted to hire him and he needed a job because his "got-fired" pay was ending.

Big names bring big egos looking for bigger jobs. I'd rather 'Tep get a young, hungry, energetic HC, preferably with an offensive background who has no fear of competing for talent and can develop the players he recruits. If he's successful he won't stay long cause a bigger school, with a bigger budget will snatch'em up. However, the momentum will be in place and that makes it worth it. But if UTEP brass is or wants to get serious about improving the program, then you at least say hi to some big name coaches. That'll at least get the fan base to raise an eyebrow - not to mention alums and sponsors.

n

You'reprobably right given Stull's history of never firing a coach, but a the same time any coach would keep planning until being told otherwise.
When Stull fired Nord it was said that Nord was not worried before hand and had said that UTEP couldn't afford to fire him. But they did. So you're right, coaches sometimes don't know it's coming until that last day.

Kugler seems to think he will be back for next season. He is talking about the need to recruit more linebackers to the new scheme, etc. My problem with that is why switch systems for your 4th season if you don't already have the players for it. The excuse making is getting old.

It's well known that I have have been a huge Sean Kugler non-fan since before he was hired, but I've always tried to be explicit with my concerns and reasonable and factual with my criticisms. And this is a primo example of what some people (e.g. me) view as Kugler's lack of strategic vision and planning for this program.

Days/weeks after last season, Kugler KNEW he would be hiring a new D Coordinator and he KNEW he would be changing (for the second time in four years) from a 4-2-5 to a 3-4 base set. Now, anybody with a football IQ above room temperature knows there are huge differences in philosophy and personnel requirements between those two defensive sets - ESPECIALLY at LB. Ok, with that knowledge and weeks before the Feb '16 national signing date, Kugler KNEW he would be hurting at LB for '16 and that he would need immediate help to even be competitive in '16. Frosh recruits were not going to immediately move the needle. So, did he immediately shift in warp speed to sign several JC LBs, for an insurance policy? How does that pass for vision and planning?

Look, Kugler received a mulligan his first year from almost everybody for the exact same reason. He installed a 3-4 defense built for speed in the spring, then installed Stoker's 4-2-5 (one of his biggest mistakes, IMO) in August with predictable results in '13. A classic example of tailoring your talent to a scheme instead of tailoring your scheme to meet your talent. Still, he had a window his first couple of years to bring in personnel for that defense. Didn't work, he still kept giving up points by the bushel.

So, after three seasons, he returns to a 3-4 base set and says he's gotta go get the right people to run it, especially at LB. Well no shit! Guess that buys him a 5th year with Stull.

Folks, you don't have to wait to see the plane hit the ground to know it's going to crash...

Last edited:

Mangino would take Mexican food as a trade to lower his cash compensation.

No one wants Mangino and rightly so, but Briles?! UTEP is not a stand alone private club that can decide how to levy judgement for domestic crimes (against women) like a NFL team. It's a sport offered by the college, not a college offered by the sports team. Briles was given a very, very lucrative buyout for trying to cover out multiple beyond multiple domestic crimes committed by his players (more recent crimes hidden by him were recently uncovered).

Yes he did and man, the fan base was energized, the Sun Bowl had big crowds, the Miners went bowling 2 years in a row. And then we all died a slow, long, lingering death. Even in his last year, his team was more competitive vs better competition than the last 4 years. But I get your point. There are no guarantees. It just seems you're likely to have more success if you hire someone that has done it before. At least on some level.

I guess all the folks who wanted Mike gone and now having second thoughts. But I don't attribute all our woes to the coaching. We are in a poor conference and that makes recruiting tough, as you know well. Our problems aren't really about coaching. They are about the talent levels we are able to attract. All anyone needs to do is to look at the Texas game. That should answer most questions, que no?

There's also the chance Kugler stays true to his word and walks away. If we win the next two he might stay another year. If we go 0-2 or even split I think he resigns.

the old saying is that the definition of coaching is "something you do in between firings". not many coaches walk away from a paying job without knowing exactly where they are going to land. it also sends a poor message to the coaching community that the coach can't handle the situation. not exactly a resume stuffer.

I guess all the folks who wanted Mike gone and now having second thoughts. But I don't attribute all our woes to the coaching. We are in a poor conference and that makes recruiting tough, as you know well. Our problems aren't really about coaching. They are about the talent levels we are able to attract. All anyone needs to do is to look at the Texas game. That should answer most ques.tions, que no?
I wish I could agree that we can't recruit due to being in a lousy conference but I can't. WKU is doing very well in this lousy conference. La Tech is doing well and USM, MT, ODU, usually Marshall and even Charlotte are all doing better than UTEP. You may be right or partially right but I think it's the coaching and they are the ones recruiting.

I don't know if the money is there but UTEP needs a massive hire sooner than later. We need someone who can break the cycle of futility and it's not just on the field. It needs to be someone who can break the cycle of futility in recruiting as well as the cycle of futility within the fan base and the city. I feel like that type of job is too much for a coach with little to no experience running a program.

I guess all the folks who wanted Mike gone and now having second thoughts. But I don't attribute all our woes to the coaching. We are in a poor conference and that makes recruiting tough, as you know well. Our problems aren't really about coaching. They are about the talent levels we are able to attract. All anyone needs to do is to look at the Texas game. That should answer most questions, que no?

Kugler still has a way to go to get to 7 straight losing seasons. Why would anyone be thinking of Price? 7 straight losing seasons does not sound like being competitive to me.

Its not the name UTEP that kills recruiting, it Kugler who can't recruit. His classes have been terrible. As I said before Prices players are the ones holding the team together . Kugler doesn't put alot of work into recruiting. Its like he recruits players he doesn't think other want or he has to fight over. No camps in North Texas didn't help.

Its not the name UTEP that kills recruiting, it Kugler who can't recruit. His classes have been terrible. As I said before Prices players are the ones holding the team together . Kugler doesn't put alot of work into recruiting. Its like he recruits players he doesn't think other want or he has to fight over. No camps in North Texas didn't help.

There have been very few Price recruits play in the Kugler era. After the purge of 43 players in 2013 there were very few Price recruits left. Only a handful of price recruits were around in 2014. The only Price recruits that have made any impact the last three years were Golden and roy roberts. Price recruits havent held anything together, they havent been around.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
The Jones Brothers are Price kids. Simpson the QB he should have played is Price. And the kids you named. Who else has done anything since Kugler has been there.

The Jones Brothers are Price kids. Simpson the QB he should have played is Price. And the kids you named. Who else has done anything since Kugler has been there.

The jones brothers are not Price kids. They were both recruited by Kugler. Simpson looked good on paper. However, he wasnt very good. He couldnt even won the starting qb job at tarleton state this year.

Sources say UT Boosters are pushing hard for UT to hire Herman from Houston after his win over Louisville. That means Sterlin Gilbert should be looking for a job and now would be the best time to grab him up. He will receive money for being bought out by UT, so he will easily be making what he is making now in addition to what UTEP will be paying him. This guy has great recruiting ties in Texas and runs an exciting offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT