ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching rumblings

I bet Natalicio steers this ship solo. Kugler's wake would leave the new coach a lot of work to be done in short order if fired after Saturday. Plinke would be gone, Jones will more than likely declare, our two rb's behind him are raw freshman (with a ton of potential), Sinegal is the only legit receiver UTEP has (Reddix and Freytag will be gone), Alvin is UTEP's only solid defenseman coming back (Cockrell will be gone, too but hopefully Loveilett will come back), Metz is UTEP's only true hope because Lefty will probably transfer or is done due to concussions and KJ will transfer out as well I'm sure. The community of fans feels alienated because Kugler "doesn't think about those things" much less them and he's just satisfied with the core fans. I guess just those 2 to 3 thousand (old timers by now)that the Sun Bowl held to see UTEP upset National Champ BYU but everyone in El Paso over forty years of age claims was "at that game" that night is who he must be referring to when he was a young underclassman.
Why is Reddix gone?

Reactions: UTEP05
I bet Natalicio steers this ship solo. Kugler's wake would leave the new coach a lot of work to be done in short order if fired after Saturday. Plinke would be gone, Jones will more than likely declare, our two rb's behind him are raw freshman (with a ton of potential), Sinegal is the only legit receiver UTEP has (Reddix and Freytag will be gone), Alvin is UTEP's only solid defenseman coming back (Cockrell will be gone, too but hopefully Loveilett will come back), Metz is UTEP's only true hope because Lefty will probably transfer or is done due to concussions and KJ will transfer out as well I'm sure. The community of fans feels alienated because Kugler "doesn't think about those things" much less them and he's just satisfied with the core fans. I guess just those 2 to 3 thousand (old timers by now)that the Sun Bowl held to see UTEP upset National Champ BYU but everyone in El Paso over forty years of age claims was "at that game" that night is who he must be referring to when he was a young underclassman.

And why is Cockrell gone? Also, why is KJ transferring, you say that you are "Sure" about that?

Maybe so. But I'm pretty sure the budget line entitled, "Eat current FB coach's contract when we fire him" has $0 budgeted.

lieb
At least UTEP wrote the contract to read that Kugler only gets his base pay on his remaining contract if fired. His base pay is about $280k per year and he only has one year left. Doubt there is a cheaper buyout in all of college football.

No one will sleep better at night knowing the buyout is so low, when chances are UTEP will not pull the trigger and fire Kugler. Especially if it's due to a lack of money.

I say today is Kiglers last game. I didn't think so before, but some info that I've heard recently has changed my mind. Not for sure, but could happen as soon as Monday. Or what I hear could be complete horse poop lol

Neither Stull nor Natalicio give the slightest indication of being committed to keeping this program from bottoming out. Stull has been on cruise control for years and Natilicio refuses to hold him accountable for results, either in football or basketball. Worse yet, you won't find a promising FBS coordinator or established FCS coach willing to commit to a program with such instability at the top of the house. They know a suicide mission when they see one.

There is always risk factor when you hire a collegiate coach, proven or otherwise (Tim Floyd = Exhibit A). But there are plenty of young guns out there who could be the next Kevin Sumlin, Dana Holgerson, Tom Herman, and many others. My guess is they would come to El Paso but they won't work for Stull. Would you?

No and if I did, I'd probably ask for too much that Stull wouldn't agree to - which would kill me being hired.

I totally agree about a young hungry coach. They're out there looking for a shot at being a head coach somewhere. People boo-efn-hoo on hiring a coordinator, but I would and would have no problem doing so. Trying to peal off a head coach from another program is going to be difficult. A. If he's a winning coach where he's at and if he's looking anywhere, he's looking elsewhere, ie P5 school. B. If he's from a bigger conference and stepping downwards, I'm guessing he's close to burnout or he got fired from a losing program. I'm not in Stull's shoes, but if I was, I'd be far more aggressive in promoting, selling and managing the program. I said a long time ago, it's ok to be a small school, you just don't have to act like one.

Think small, be small. Think big, be big.

Awwe man not this bastard again. Who was EP Chih's sidekick, the one who was a total smartass and sarcastic...the name escapes me. Something along the lines of Carlos Sergio? Well heeee's back.
You are mistaking me for someone else. I'm on here every day I just don't reply much. I'm sure I'm NOT the only Carlos on here.

1. I say today is Kiglers last game. I didn't think so before, but some info that I've heard recently has changed my mind. Not for sure, but could happen as soon as Monday. Or what I hear could be complete horse poop lol
    Looks like Kugler is going to have his regular Wed night radio show. Doesn't sound like he will be leaving if that's the case.

2. UTEP Miners ‏@UTEPAthletics 2h2 hours ago
    1. The season's final edition of coach Kugler's radio show will be Wednesday at 7 at Border City Ale House! Join us or listen on KOFX 92.3 FM!pic.twitter.com/ofB4ITsGV1
    2. CycSVOIUkAArjuc.jpg
    3. 1 reply 3 retweets 8 likes

4. MinerInWisconsin ‏@MinerInWis 1h1 hour ago
      @UTEPAthletics Will he be back next year? Any word from AD Bob Stull? Is Stull actually alive?

That is an athletic director/department that gives a shit. Polian had two winning seasons in only four years, and a bowl win. We'd be on top of the world here at UTEP if we had that kind of success.

Reactions: UTEP05 and develman

1. Looks like Kugler is going to have his regular Wed night radio show. Doesn't sound like he will be leaving if that's the case.

2. UTEP Miners ‏@UTEPAthletics 2h2 hours ago
    1. The season's final edition of coach Kugler's radio show will be Wednesday at 7 at Border City Ale House! Join us or listen on KOFX 92.3 FM!pic.twitter.com/ofB4ITsGV1
    2. CycSVOIUkAArjuc.jpg
    3. 1 reply 3 retweets 8 likes

4. MinerInWisconsin ‏@MinerInWis 1h1 hour ago
      @UTEPAthletics Will he be back next year? Any word from AD Bob Stull? Is Stull actually alive?
Stull is only alive on paydays so he can check his pay stub to make sure it is correct.

And why is Cockrell gone? Also, why is KJ transferring, you say that you are "Sure" about that?

Sorry, I thought Cockrell was a senior. No, just a hunch because it is common that players leave when there are coaching changes. KJ was brought it to run Kugler's Pistol package (KJ was NMSU's top recruit and even offered his pops a staff position. His choice of UTEP was stunning to NMSU. Internet rumors say that NMSU was pissed beyond belief).

He will be good too. He has done pretty good there considering Nevada has the lowest budget to work with in the MW.
We must be getting desperate if we want to replace a coach with 4.5 wins per yr in 4 years with one that has 5.75 wins per yr in 4 years. Can't we aim a little higher than that?

We must be getting desperate if we want to replace a coach with 4.5 wins per yr in 4 years with one that has 5.75 wins per yr in 4 years. Can't we aim a little higher than that?

He went to two bowls in four years and won a bowl. We can't aim higher because UTEP isn't going to pay more. This is a coach in UTEP's budget.

He went to two bowls in four years and won a bowl. We can't aim higher because UTEP isn't going to pay more. This is a coach in UTEP's budget.
He has had two 7-6 seasons to one for Kugler. I don't see the attraction. He also took over a program that was already winning. More successful and/or interesting coaches to go after.

How about Helfrich, just fired from Oregon. 4-8 this year but 3 very good years prior to that plus the OC at Oregon for 4 years prior to that. He will get approx $11 million as he leaves so money is not a big deal for him.

He has had two 7-6 seasons to one for Kugler. I don't see the attraction. He also took over a program that was already winning. More successful and/or interesting coaches to go after.

He coaches in a better conference, won a bowl game, won non-conference games, and rarely got blown out. UTEP isn't going to get a more successful head coach unless they have baggage.

He coaches in a better conference, won a bowl game, won non-conference games, and rarely got blown out. UTEP isn't going to get a more successful head coach unless they have baggage.
Sorry, I don't buy that at all. But that's ok, we don't have to agree.

How about Helfrich, just fired from Oregon. 4-8 this year but 3 very good years prior to that plus the OC at Oregon for 4 years prior to that. He will get approx $11 million as he leaves so money is not a big deal for him.

Mark Helfrich is not and would not come to UTEP. He's going to get another job pretty quick at a school with a bigger coaching salary budget and better program support. Again, what does UTEP have to offer him? Unless Helfrich has a desire to seriously go raw in building a program, he's not coming. Even if somehow he thought he'd do UTEP, Stulls wouldn't give him what he needed to build the program into a winner and that's the fiscal and managerial support needed. Not being cruel to snakes, per se, but I'd slay a hundred of them suckers easily if I thought Helfrich was viable.

Last edited:
You don't buy that UTEP isn't going to get a top tier head coach without baggage? What makes you think otherwise?
Because I don't think UTEP will really be going after a "top tier" coach, not even the Oregon coach that was just fired. I think when UTEP gets around to looking for a new coach, and that will probably be after next season, they will be looking at successful FCS head coaches or successful coordinators like Applewhite of Houston. I think that's a good way to go.

Reactions: LaserCoog
Because I don't think UTEP will really be going after a "top tier" coach, not even the Oregon coach that was just fired. I think when UTEP gets around to looking for a new coach, and that will probably be after next season, they will be looking at successful FCS head coaches or successful coordinators like Applewhite of Houston. I think that's a good way to go.

So why did you just mention Mark Helfrich?

Looks like we're stuck. Kugler has done lots of good things with the program. I wish he had better luck in the won/loss column.

Helfrich is pretty good!! I am a duck fan as well as a miner!!! Right now it looks like we are gonna pick up either pj fleck or lane kiffen to replace helfrich!

Helfrich is pretty good!! I am a duck fan as well as a miner!!! Right now it looks like we are gonna pick up either pj fleck or lane kiffen to replace helfrich!

You'll probably have better luck with Fleck. If Lane can hold on at Bama, the job is his. Oregon hires Greg Schiano, you're literally dead ducks. Schiano is trash.

Applewhite might become UH HC, or return to Texas as OC, or even return to Alabama as OC if Saban cans Kiffin.

In what parallel universe would Sabin possibly fire the offensive coordinator of a team that would probably finish second in the NFL East this year? With a pure freshman at QB (from Texas, no less)? Kiffin and Les Miles are squarely in the mix for UH HC. Applewhite's got some pretty serious baggage, may/may not be welcomed back in Austin with Herman. DC Orlando probably a more likely choice if process stays internal. In any event, money will not be an issue in the next hire.

BTW, not just sour grapes, but Herman pissed off a TON people, not because he left for the Evil Empire, but the manner in which it came down. Absolute worst case of false strategic leaks, political intrigue, and back-stabbing. Just killed the team in final game v Memphis, Herman left skeleton staff for UH bowl game, now he's poaching Houston commits. That karma thing is real...

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
In what parallel universe would Sabin possibly fire the offensive coordinator of a team that would probably finish second in the NFL East this year? With a pure freshman at QB (from Texas, no less)? Kiffin and Les Miles are squarely in the mix for UH HC. Applewhite's got some pretty serious baggage, may/may not be welcomed back in Austin with Herman. DC Orlando probably a more likely choice if process stays internal. In any event, money will not be an issue in the next hire.

BTW, not just sour grapes, but Herman pissed off a TON people, not because he left for the Evil Empire, but the manner in which it came down. Absolute worst case of false strategic leaks, political intrigue, and back-stabbing. Just killed the team in final game v Memphis, Herman left skeleton staff for UH bowl game, now he's poaching Houston commits. That karma thing is real...

So you think Saban is thrilled with Kiffin?

Applewhite shagged a grad student -- dumb, but not serious enough to overshadow his playing career at Texas.

I tried to tell you months ago Herman was gone.

[QUOTE="unihorn, post:

Applewhite shagged a grad student -- dumb, but not serious enough to overshadow his playing career at Texas.

I tried to tell you months ago Herman was gone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, not exactly. Applewhite was NOT a student or player for UT when the indiscretion occurred. He was a member of the University ofTexas football staff.

And congratulations, you're the only person around who envisioned the possibility that the hottest head coach in the nation might just possibly be bought away by another program. Hope you play the lottery.

[QUOTE="unihorn, post:

I tried to tell you months ago Herman was gone.

Yeah, well, not exactly. Applewhite was NOT a student or player for UT when the indiscretion occurred. He was a member of the University ofTexas football staff.

And congratulations, you're the only person around who envisioned the possibility that the hottest head coach in the nation might just possibly be bought away by another program. Hope you play the lottery.[/QUOTE]

Haha -- if it was so obvious in coming, why are you seemingly butt hurt about it? You had plenty of time to prepare yourself.

And congratulations, you're the only person around who envisioned the possibility that the hottest head coach in the nation might just possibly be bought away by another program. Hope you play the lottery.

Haha -- if it was so obvious in coming, why are you seemingly butt hurt about it? You had plenty of time to prepare yourself.[/QUOTE]

Butt hurt? Tell you what, Mr Horn, if you took the time to read my prior post, perhaps it might make a little more sense to you. Meanwhile, try to get your facts straight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT