ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching rumblings

Tell you what, how about pairing up Houston and Texas in this year's Cotton Bowl with the winner being allowed to choose their head coach. Please?

Reactions: UTEP05
Sumlin and Strong will still get hired by P5 schools.

True. Im more interested on the domino effect it will create. In Texas seven of the 12 fbs schools could be looking for coaches. Three p5 Texas, A&M, Baylor and Tech, and 3 g5 UTEP, UH and SMU.

True. Im more interested on the domino effect it will create. In Texas seven of the 12 fbs schools could be looking for coaches. Three p5 Texas, A&M, Baylor and Tech, and 3 g5 UTEP, UH and SMU.
Damn SMU is getting rid of Morris already? He improved from two wins last season to five and counting this year. They don't play around in Dallas. Why can't we be like that?

Damn SMU is getting rid of Morris already? He improved from two wins last season to five and counting this year. They don't play around in Dallas. Why can't we be like that?

SMU isnt getting rid of Morris. He is rumored to be headed to Waco to takeover Baylor.

Reactions: JCorona
It was announced this week that Western Refining is being sold for over $4 Billion. Now that his business is being sold, is there any chance that an already generous Paul Foster would be interested in becoming an NCAA Team "Owner"(I.E. Phil Knight/Oregon, T. Boone Pickens/Oklahoma State), in addition to being a Triple A Baseball Owner. That's about the only way that I see UTEP Athletics getting an influx of major money any time soon. In a dream scenario, Foster could decide to take a hundred million or so and make turning UTEP Athletics around as his new little project.

The guy has already donated $50 million to UTEP/Tech, $35 million to Baylor, and another $3 million to build our basketball complex.

Money is a problem, but not as to why most believe. I too think UTEP (and its donors) could afford to pay a HC $1,000,000+. The reason they won't, and haven't, has to do with Dr. Natalicio, and her disdain for anything athletics. She has never been a staunch supporter of building up the sports programs at UTEP. She'd much rather use the money to construct buildings of higher learning and beautifying the campus, all the meanwhile overlooking the fact that the stronger and better positioned your football program is, the more money the entire University of Texas-El Paso has to spend in all facets.

If we had a men's baseball team Natalicio would support that. She's a big baseball fan and has an impressive collection of memorabilia.

I guess all the folks who wanted Mike gone and now having second thoughts. But I don't attribute all our woes to the coaching. We are in a poor conference and that makes recruiting tough, as you know well. Our problems aren't really about coaching. They are about the talent levels we are able to attract. All anyone needs to do is to look at the Texas game. That should answer most questions, que no?

The conference doesn't make recruiting difficult. It's the coaching philosophy. Most HS's use a version of the spread. Most HS QBs are learning in that system. Hard to sell "ground and pound" to a 17 year old looking at other school's that run the same type of "easy to learn" offense they already run.

The hardest part of recruiting is selling a kid on what your program has to offer. Some programs, because of tradition and notoriety sell themselves. Other programs have to work at it. If you're not working at it, setting yourself apart from the rest in an attractive way, then you're losing the recruiting battle. Case in point.

I don't know if the money is there but UTEP needs a massive hire sooner than later. We need someone who can break the cycle of futility and it's not just on the field. It needs to be someone who can break the cycle of futility in recruiting as well as the cycle of futility within the fan base and the city. I feel like that type of job is too much for a coach with little to no experience running a program.

Massive higher means massive money. That has it's own bed of thorns to deal with cause I don't see Stull or what's-her-face making that type of commitment to the program. On the flip side, trying to pick a home run in a relative unknown coach is just as difficult. I don't hold out much hope on the later with Stulls in the big chair and I don't have any confidence in the former occurring. Yuck, that thought just killed my coffee buzz.

The conference doesn't make recruiting difficult. It's the coaching philosophy. Most HS's use a version of the spread. Most HS QBs are learning in that system. Hard to sell "ground and pound" to a 17 year old looking at other school's that run the same type of "easy to learn" offense they already run.

The hardest part of recruiting is selling a kid on what your program has to offer. Some programs, because of tradition and notoriety sell themselves. Other programs have to work at it. If you're not working at it, setting yourself apart from the rest in an attractive way, then you're losing the recruiting battle. Case in point.

This issue of talent and recruiting has been litigated on this board for the past four years. We've heard every imaginable excuse. The C-USA Power Rankings on Miner Rush going into week 12 of the season says all you need to know. The verdict is in, the only question is "What's next and when?"

Last edited:
Massive higher means massive money. That has it's own bed of thorns to deal with cause I don't see Stull or what's-her-face making that type of commitment to the program. On the flip side, trying to pick a home run in a relative unknown coach is just as difficult. I don't hold out much hope on the later with Stulls in the big chair and I don't have any confidence in the former occurring. Yuck, that thought just killed my coffee buzz.

Neither Stull nor Natalicio give the slightest indication of being committed to keeping this program from bottoming out. Stull has been on cruise control for years and Natilicio refuses to hold him accountable for results, either in football or basketball. Worse yet, you won't find a promising FBS coordinator or established FCS coach willing to commit to a program with such instability at the top of the house. They know a suicide mission when they see one.

There is always risk factor when you hire a collegiate coach, proven or otherwise (Tim Floyd = Exhibit A). But there are plenty of young guns out there who could be the next Kevin Sumlin, Dana Holgerson, Tom Herman, and many others. My guess is they would come to El Paso but they won't work for Stull. Would you?

We have a great coach who will have UTEP in the top 25 soon. Getting rid of Kugler would be a big mistake.

Awwe man not this bastard again. Who was EP Chih's sidekick, the one who was a total smartass and sarcastic...the name escapes me. Something along the lines of Carlos Sergio? Well heeee's back.

Bastard? I am here in my first semester at UTEP, transferred from NAU. Not sure what your problem is pal. I will try and find alternate boards if you're going to be mean and confrontational.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Bastard? I am here in my first semester at UTEP, transferred from NAU. Not sure what your problem is pal. I will try and find alternate boards if you're going to be mean and confrontational.

GaryH, welcome to El Paso. Enjoy this board, but give it a couple weeks to take in and develop a feel for this forum. The regular's on here, and I include myself, are punchy do to the underachievement of Coach Kugler.

Umm, by any chance are you a current athletic player for UTEP? (it may seem silly, I just have to ask)

You are Miss Flagstaff?

no-country-tommy-lee-jones.jpg

It was announced this week that Western Refining is being sold for over $4 Billion. Now that his business is being sold, is there any chance that an already generous Paul Foster would be interested in becoming an NCAA Team "Owner"(I.E. Phil Knight/Oregon, T. Boone Pickens/Oklahoma State), in addition to being a Triple A Baseball Owner. That's about the only way that I see UTEP Athletics getting an influx of major money any time soon. In a dream scenario, Foster could decide to take a hundred million or so and make turning UTEP Athletics around as his new little project. The guy has already donated $50 million to UTEP/Tech, $35 million to Baylor, and another $3 million to build our basketball complex.

In a word no......gave at the office already

My bad, we've had two trolls on here. One of which was very sarcastic and always said things exactly like you just posted and he hasn't been on here for awhile so when I saw your post, which was your first, I for sure thought he was back. Our other troll, keeps coming back under different handles but is easily exposed by his MO, he answers questions with questions and eventually gets you entangled in his web. You'll soon figure out who he is and when you do just give a thumbs up. Once again, my apologies and GO MINERS!

Reactions: GaryHTalamantes
I was going to keep this under wraps until our bowl hopes were gone. Now that they are two people have told me Paul Petrino is the heavy favorite to be the next head coach at UTEP. He is the brother of Bobby and head coach at Idaho.

Word is at least one abd maybe both of Mike Price's sons will be on the staff. Stull does not want to fire Kugler but is under pressure from Natalicio to make a move. Two prominent boosters are demanding a change. With the state legislature set to make huge cuts to higher ed in the legislative session, Natalicio cant risk losing the support of two key donors.
So, Minerforlife, what are you hearing now? Is this idea still alive and well? I was looking into Paul Petrino's coaching career and he's been at a lot of name programs as OC and turned Idaho around as head coach. His offense is very good and he might be a good fit here. I would hope he has ambitions to be a P5 head coach one day and reviving UTEP would probably punch his ticket. His resources at Idaho are very limited so if he can turn around that program, he could do well here.

I bet Natalicio steers this ship solo. Kugler's wake would leave the new coach a lot of work to be done in short order if fired after Saturday. Plinke would be gone, Jones will more than likely declare, our two rb's behind him are raw freshman (with a ton of potential), Sinegal is the only legit receiver UTEP has (Reddix and Freytag will be gone), Alvin is UTEP's only solid defenseman coming back (Cockrell will be gone, too but hopefully Loveilett will come back), Metz is UTEP's only true hope because Lefty will probably transfer or is done due to concussions and KJ will transfer out as well I'm sure. The community of fans feels alienated because Kugler "doesn't think about those things" much less them and he's just satisfied with the core fans. I guess just those 2 to 3 thousand (old timers by now)that the Sun Bowl held to see UTEP upset National Champ BYU but everyone in El Paso over forty years of age claims was "at that game" that night is who he must be referring to when he was a young underclassman.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT