ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball 2020- '21

Based on what? We don’t even have a full roster, nor do we know which transfers will be eligible. This team can’t win on the road.
Based on the fact we went 6-3 vs that group last season. None of those three losses were blowouts. Two of the losses on the road. I don’t think asking for UTEP to sweep RICE and USM and split with the other three is an unreasonable request.

Based on the fact we went 6-3 vs that group last season. None of those three losses were blowouts. Two of the losses on the road. I don’t think asking for UTEP to sweep RICE and USM and split with the other three is an unreasonable request.

It’s not, and should be expected. Just saying with Terry and his incomplete roster, I don’t think it will happen, at this point

Reactions: Autograph Boy
My prediction at this point is we go 5-5. Sweep Rice and USM. Get swept by UNT and La Tech. Split with UTSA. Just not sure we are going to be any better this year, and perhaps not even as good.

I hope I’m ****ing wrong. The last decade has sucked.
There is such a roster turnover in the backcourt that its hard to tell what might happen. It could be really bad or really good (or the same). Personally I really like the addition of Sjolund. I will reserve any thought on Kennedy until we see him. Boum, Tydus and Williams all have room to improve, but provide a nice foundation for a decent coach. Question is are they being used properly?

Finding a facilitating point guard that can control the game and organize these guys is the key. Losing McGriff was bad just because of shear numbers, but im assuming he went the JC route as a non-qualifier which is baffling given the current circumstances. Another aggressive big will only help the cause. Im not sure how much Efe and Vila can contribute on a higher level team. Frankly I'm shocked that both are still here.

Last edited:
There is such a roster turnover in the backcourt that its hard to tell what might happen. It could be really bad or really good (or the same). Personally I really like the addition of Sjolund. I will reserve any thought on Kennedy until we see him. Boum, Tydus and Williams all have room to from, but provide a nice foundation for a decent coach. Question is are they being used properly?

Finding a facilitating point guard that can control the game and organize these guys is the key. Losing McGriff was bad just because of shear numbers, but im assuming he went the JC route as a non-qualifier which is baffling given the current circumstances. Another aggressive big will only help the cause. Im not sure how much Efe and Vila can contribute on a higher level team. Frankly I'm shocked that both are still here.

Agree. Without an above average PG running the show, I just can’t see us getting over the hump.

I too am intrigued by Sjolund, but I’ve been high on several guys who turned out to be absolute duds in a Miner uniform. It’s all about wait and see for me at this point. Hard for me to generate any excitement about another CRT led team.

I’ve never been this apathetic about Miner bb.

UNM was decimated by departures. This should definitely be a winnable game for UTEP. No excuses.

It “should” be. Somehow UNM always reloads with several 3-4 star guys. They don’t always pan out but their potential is sky high, depending on whether they gel as a team or not.

Could someone please list our depth chart of returning players and recruits, There has been so much turnover, I can't keep up

Could someone please list our depth chart of returning players and recruits, There has been so much turnover, I can't keep up
Axingfools has been doing a good job of updating that info on the “basketball recruiting needs” thread.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Axingfools has been doing a good job of updating that info on the “basketball recruiting needs” thread.
Except the two guard transfers from Oklahoma and North Carolina that UTEP is trying to get.

And what are the chances they actually get them should be the question.
Well that's fine, but I mean there's updates of players who don't even have UTEP as a school on their radar and these do, so why not have this up there?

Well that's fine, but I mean there's updates of players who don't even have UTEP as a school on their radar and these do, so why not have this up there?
Bieniemy has been discussed on the recruiting thread. We have also discussed Mack from Nebraska. I know I've seen the kid from UNC on Verbal commits PG transfer list, but his stats sucked. These could be some nice gets for Terry, but we need somebody for this year.

I don't disagree with you, but Nattybry, you always seem to have the glass full when it comes to UTEP. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. But I am willing to bet almost anything that we get neither of these guys. ESPN has updated daily transfer rankings and I have not seen UTEP listed in any of them.

Now, I don't want to be an empty glass guy either, so I am hoping that we line one of these guys up, I am just saying our chances are so slim that it seems we are reaching for anything out there just to say that we did something, rather than achieved something.

Reactions: miner1liner
I don't disagree with you, but Nattybry, you always seem to have the glass full when it comes to UTEP. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. But I am willing to bet almost anything that we get neither of these guys. ESPN has updated daily transfer rankings and I have not seen UTEP listed in any of them.

Now, I don't want to be an empty glass guy either, so I am hoping that we line one of these guys up, I am just saying our chances are so slim that it seems we are reaching for anything out there just to say that we did something, rather than achieved something.
I've been glass is half full with UTEP for 30 years and I'm pretty dehydrated by now! If I have news I'll share it always. Don't wanna say what I don't know for sure. I just know that Terry is aware of the need for a PG. A lot on this board act like we know more than him, but he's very aware of the teams needs. I'm not ready to bail on Terry like some are. It's way too early.

I've been glass is half full with UTEP for 30 years and I'm pretty dehydrated by now! If I have news I'll share it always. Don't wanna say what I don't know for sure. I just know that Terry is aware of the need for a PG. A lot on this board act like we know more than him, but he's very aware of the teams needs. I'm not ready to bail on Terry like some are. It's way too early.
Well I'm glad to know that Terry is aware of the need for a PG.

Did someone inform him of the need or was he able to figure it out by himself?
No kidding. Really, this has been a need the past couple of years. Last year's team would have looked a lot better with a capable floor leader. At this point, Terry has to be looking at bringing in a graduate transfer who is immediately eligible, but that means waiting to see which guys complete their graduation requirements even into the summer. Or, he can sign a non-graduate transfer and hope the school grants the waiver; similar to the Gilyard situation last year. In retrospect, it is pretty clear why UTEP went ahead and approved his waiver to play second semester last year; it would mean UTEP would only have to play an NMSU team with Gilyard for just one year instead of two. That said, I've read that UNC would likely approve the waiver for Francis to play immediately, so there should be other transfers that may fall in this category. The NCAA works in mysterious ways.

No kidding. Really, this has been a need the past couple of years. Last year's team would have looked a lot better with a capable floor leader. At this point, Terry has to be looking at bringing in a graduate transfer who is immediately eligible, but that means waiting to see which guys complete their graduation requirements even into the summer. Or, he can sign a non-graduate transfer and hope the school grants the waiver; similar to the Gilyard situation last year. In retrospect, it is pretty clear why UTEP went ahead and approved his waiver to play second semester last year; it would mean UTEP would only have to play an NMSU team with Gilyard for just one year instead of two. That said, I've read that UNC would likely approve the waiver for Francis to play immediately, so there should be other transfers that may fall in this category. The NCAA works in mysterious ways.
I bet Gilyard is wishing he hadn't got the waiver right about now.

I am liking Bieniemy. He could be really good. Mack would be dynamite in CUSA. Its a risk, but Terry could have a chance given his off court issues. Both are proven power 5 players. Francis had a really bad year at UNC. Maybe he bit off more than he could chew. Playing behind Anthony maybe put things in perspective for him?

Problem is UTEP has had a hard time combining good players over the past 10 years. Since 09-10 the good players seem to have been staggered for whatever reason. Terry can't waste another year with Williams.

Terry bought his house from a friend. Another guy I work with at times is his neighbor. He shot the breeze with Terry last season and Terry said "The team is young". Thats my inside info.

Yesterday coach Tucker (Montwood) had CTF talk to the kids after their on-line group work-out. They couldn't ask questions, but my son said that he talked more about the NBA and his time with the Bulls after Jordan and with New Orleans. He named his top 5 NBA players (Magic, MJ, LeBron, Mailman and Wilt). He didn't talk much about his college coaching days or UTEP, but told the young men that "Boys win at home and men win on the road" He loved winning on the road.

Last edited:
Must be nice to be in the mix for a player like him.:(
Like Lil Train said, Terry is probably waiting for the guard graduate transfers. He knows we need an impact pg that can contribute immediately. Can’t take a risk waiting for a waiver to be approved. If by the end of summer the best we got is the kid from North Alabama then we’re in trouble.

Neither Agnew nor Hess were even the best players on their teams in regards to shooting. Neither is a true PG either. Shooting and a PG are what Terry needs.

In regards to Agnew vs Francis, Agnew has decent numbers to make the attempted jump up to CUSA. Francis's numbers at UNC were horrid. His shooting numbers were dog shit. Now I don't know the circumstances regarding either player (other than them coming from leagues on the opposite side of the spectrum). I would have chosen Francis coming out of high school, but now I will give them both the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise at this level, but right now I'm taking Agnew.

Like Lil Train said, Terry is probably waiting for the guard graduate transfers. He knows we need an impact pg that can contribute immediately. Can’t take a risk waiting for a waiver to be approved. If by the end of summer the best we got is the kid from North Alabama then we’re in trouble.
There are no more guard graduate transfers. I think Terry is swinging and missing.

There are no more guard graduate transfers. I think Terry is swinging and missing.

I think there are kids we don’t yet know about, who will graduate this summer, then declare their intention to transfer. Didn’t we get Edwards at the 11th hour?

Something like that could happen again and we won’t know about it until August.

I think there are kids we don’t yet know about, who will graduate this summer, then declare their intention to transfer. Didn’t we get Edwards at the 11th hour?

Something like that could happen again and we won’t know about it until August.
I hope so, but remember we were Edward's 2nd option. He fell in Terry's lap after not being able to get into Nevada. What would we have looked like without him last year?

I hope so, but remember we were Edward's 2nd option. He fell in Terry's lap after not being able to get into Nevada. What would we have looked like without him last year?

Yeah, it’s just a possibility rather than a likelihood. However we need one to fall in our favor in a bad way. And if it takes being someone’s 2nd or even 3rd option, I’m ok with it. Terry needs to leave all doors open.

Without Edwards the pile of shit would’ve been bigger and would have been more odoriferous.

Yeah, it’s just a possibility rather than a likelihood. However we need one to fall in our favor in a bad way. And if it takes being someone’s 2nd or even 3rd option, I’m ok with it. Terry needs to leave all doors open.

Without Edwards the pile of shit would’ve been bigger and would have been more odoriferous.
Absolutely. The key selling point would be a clear path to significant playing time (30+ minutes/game). Literally, there would be no competition for playing time from anyone on the roster at this time; I don't consider Boum or Kennedy anything more than serviceable options at the point. Terry has stated this as well. Like you mentioned, we need one to fall in our favor in a bad way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT