ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball 2020- '21

Absolutely. The key selling point would be a clear path to significant playing time (30+ minutes/game). Literally, there would be no competition for playing time from anyone on the roster at this time; I don't consider Boum or Kennedy anything more than serviceable options at the point. Terry has stated this as well. Like you mentioned, we need one to fall in our favor in a bad way.
This is what makes the UNC transfer remarks even more frustrating.

“Just looking for an opportunity to play and lead a team”

That literally describes UTEP.

Deadline to withdrawal from the draft pushed back to June 3rd. NCAA vote on transfer waivers May 20th. We may see a little more transfer movement after.

Possible games

@NMSU
@UNM
@Texas A&M
@Washington St
Houston
NMSU

That’s a strong lineup right there.

I don’t have a problem with it. UTEP didn’t play any power conference teams last year. Though AAC and MWC are close. Assuming those games don’t fall through, seems to be a pretty decent schedule. Terry did mention that the SBT will “have two mid-major conference champions”. UC-Irvine won the Big West last year, so we can only hope they’re not included again.

I would still wager two or three D2 teams being on the schedule. Which sucks. No reason we can’t schedule Tarleton, Dixie, Cal Baptist, Incarnate Word, and Houston Baptist instead. 1 D2 school is fine.

Not bad. Another home game would be nice.
That’s just half the ooc schedule. We will still get the two home games for the sun carnival tournament. That leaves us with four open dates. This year I’m not sure we can afford 3 guaranteed wins vs d2 teams. I expect to see at least two more games on the road. I have no idea what kind of opponents to expect for the last two home games but I wouldn’t bet on it being more than a low major.

That’s just half the ooc schedule. We will still get the two home games for the sun carnival tournament. That leaves us with four open dates. This year I’m not sure we can afford 3 guaranteed wins vs d2 teams. I expect to see at least two more games on the road. I have no idea what kind of opponents to expect for the last two home games but I wouldn’t bet on it being more than a low major.
I think I heard on the pod cast that the Houston game will be it Houston again. In that correct?

Reactions: JCorona
Is the Houston game in Houston again? Think I heard that on the pod cast.

Kennedy, Sjolund, Hess and Onyema so far
Terry mentioned that waivers are handled on a case by case basis by the NCAA. It is possible that guys like Agnew, and now, Bieniemy could be granted a waiver by their old school. I'm not sure how likely this is but there is some precedence for this (see Gilyard). Terry better hope that he can get the waiver for Bieniemy especially. Of course, all of is dependent on if there is a season this year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Terry mentioned that waivers are handled on a case by case basis by the NCAA. It is possible that guys like Agnew, and now, Bieniemy could be granted a waiver by their old school. I'm not sure how likely this is but there is some precedence for this (see Gilyard). Terry better hope that he can get the waiver for Bieniemy especially. Of course, all of is dependent on if there is a season this year.
You mean if their old school grants a waiver they can play at midseason? Not sure how schools are circumventing in this nature. I dont really like it. I think it should be all or nothing (on the 1st transfer).

Also I didn't realize that Gibson from N. Texas signed with Oklahoma. I think maybe we got the better of the deal. Time will tell.

Rice has had so many players transfer to power 5 schools over the past years. Weird how they never really compete in CUSA and how their transfers never really pan out.

You mean if their old school grants a waiver they can play at midseason? Not sure how schools are circumventing in this nature. I dont really like it. I think it should be all or nothing (on the 1st transfer).

Also I didn't realize that Gibson from N. Texas signed with Oklahoma. I think maybe we got the better of the deal. Time will tell.

Rice has had so many players transfer to power 5 schools over the past years. Weird how they never really compete in CUSA and how their transfers never really pan out.
Correct on midseason waiver; I think it is up to the previous school to grant it. Another example was Archie, who was granted the waiver to play in December for UTEP. The NCAA is anything but consistent, so it is difficult to anticipate the outcome, but it is a possibility.

Now, on the trade off, Gibson is a guy I really liked. I mentioned him specifically early in the season as a guy to watch in CUSA. Funny thing is, it was UNT's other guard Hamlet, who ended up winning league MVP, so it tells you how loaded UNT was in the backcourt this year. I don't see Bieniemy as the scorer that Gibson is, but he sounds like a better defender. I do think Bieniemy will be a major upgrade from what we have seen in the past couple of years.

Rice has become a farm team for the P5 schools. The guys they lost this year are pretty solid. I think Murphy, in particular, has a chance to be a solid contributor. Obviously, the staff at Virginia agrees. A guy like Marcus Evans, who transferred from Rice to VCU, is a good example of a big loss via transfer.

Pera is a good recruiter, so so D1 coach. AD stated the year before last if he loses one more to transfer and improve team he will be fired. Obviously those were empty words after the year end and Rice lost their two top players to transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT