ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Bowl Outlook

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019
CUSA is “guaranteed” 7 spots a year until the end of the 2025 season. Though, the conference could only get 6 this year since a P5 v P5 bowl was canceled. There’s no chance a P5 team will sit at home, while CUSA and MAC teams go bowling. Bahamas and New Orleans are every year and this year a CUSA team will play against BYU in the Independence Bowl. Other bowls are determined by ESPN.

Already eligible - UTSA (7-0), UTEP (6-1)
Close to eligible - UAB (5-2)
Almost eliminated - ODU (1-6), USM (1-6)
Also bad - FIU (1-5), UNT (1-5)

That leaves 7 teams fighting for 3 spots - Charlotte (4-2), Marshall (4-3), FAU (3-3), WKU, MTSU, LaTech, and Rice all (2-4).

It’s very possible that UTEP is a “lock” at this point, but we’re a long way from finding out where. Bahamas would suck for fans, but is nice for the players. While the NM Bowl is nice for fans, but sucks for the players, especially since we play there next season.

I would prefer Frisco over Albuquerque. But as I posted previously, 6 wins makes you bowl eligible. 7 wins guarantees you a bowl game.
Unless we have a complete break down or some injuries at this point I see 8 wins as the most likely case. Anything over that will be some nice gravy on Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes!

I understand what you're saying but what if they lost out? A 6-6 finish... and possibly 6-7 with a bowl loss would feel like a failure.
At this point, yes it would be disappointing to finish the season 6-7. However, I still didn't expect 6 wins or a bowl for that matter, so looking at it from preseason expectations they still would have been better than I expected.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I understand what you're saying but what if they lost out? A 6-6 finish... and possibly 6-7 with a bowl loss would feel like a failure.
That would be a disappointment for sure and a nose dive from where they are now. I'd say at the point we are now 8 wins should be expected, because Rice and N. Texas should be far inferior. As for a Bowl Win, I haven't seen one in my lifetime so I don't know what that is lol

Reactions: Dmanminer
Love to go to the Frisco Bowl (but not against Air Force) we have been pretty dismal against service academy teams. Can't imagine Air Force ball control against our ball control being much of a game.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Love to go to the Frisco Bowl (but not against Air Force) we have been pretty dismal against service academy teams. Can't imagine Air Force ball control against our ball control being much of a game.
I want Frisco bowl, because it's 30 min from my place. Also Air Force is really really good this year, so not sure I want that game. I have withdrawals remembering them run for 400 yards on us en route to a 40 point beat down. I don't think that'd happen this year, but they would prob beat us. I would personally think Tulsa vs Utep would be a better matchup for us and be smarter for the Frisco bowl location wise.

I want Frisco bowl, because it's 30 min from my place. Also Air Force is really really good this year, so not sure I want that game. I have withdrawals remembering them run for 400 yards on us en route to a 40 point beat down. I don't think that'd happen this year, but they would prob beat us. I would personally think Tulsa vs Utep would be a better matchup for us and be smarter for the Frisco bowl location wise.
UTEP will play in the NM Bowl, unless they’re CUSA champions. Book it

Reactions: MinerFan79
Even without a conference championship if UTEP is 9-3 or 10-2, I would love to see the Miners vs BYU in the Independance bowl. I think the exposure vs a good BYU team on it's way to the Big 12 would be excellent and maybe a more winnable game than vs AFA.
Doesn’t mean ESPN and the Indy Bowl feel the same way. Indy Bowl would take UTSA or UAB before they would UTEP. Especially since they’re playing BYU. Not sure how many BYU fans would travel to see them play UTEP after they had “dreams” of Access Bowls a few weeks ago. Not that they will be more excited to play UTSA or UAB either.

I really want to get that Eastern Time Zone monkey off our back. I know I should want to beat UTSA the most, but the game I'm actually looking forward to the most is FAU.
I'd feel much more confident about that if it weren't for the bye week. I don't think I've seen UTEP come out of a bye anything but flat.

Two weeks later and still only UTSA and UTEP are bowl eligible.
FAU, Marshall, and UAB are all (5-3)
WKU, Charlotte, and MTSU are all (4-4)
Rice is (3-5) after losing to UNT in OT
LaTech, UNT, and ODU are (2-6) and need to win out.
USM and FIU are (1-7) and aren’t going bowling this year.

FAU and Marshall play this week, so 1 of them will be eligible. UAB hosts LaTech and is likely to be eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT