ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Dimel Show

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
Coach didn’t even show up for the last show of the year. Lol. I’m sure if he was there he would have said there were a lot of positive things that came out from this season which is pretty much the same thing he said after every loss.

Last edited:
In all fairness, on the radio show last week, they did talk about how Dimel would be out recruiting this week. So they stated in advance that someone would be filling in for him on this week’s radio show. Dimel even covered his plan for this week, which was that he would leave El Paso on Sunday night and that he would start hitting JUCO’s first thing Monday morning. I believe that he is visiting JUCO’s in 4 different states this week. So that is the reason why he did not appear on the show tonight, because he is out on the road recruiting all week and setting up player visits for this weekend.

In all fairness, on the radio show last week, they did talk about how Dimel would be out recruiting this week. So they stated in advance that someone would be filling in for him on this week’s radio show. Dimel even covered his plan for this week, which was that he would leave El Paso on Sunday night and that he would start hitting JUCO’s first thing Monday morning. I believe that he is visiting JUCO’s in 4 different states this week. So that is the reason why he did not appear on the show tonight, because he is out on the road recruiting all week and setting up player visits for this weekend.
I think I heard two of those being Iowa and Mississippi.

I would like for him to answer for everything at the end of the year on the radio show, but at the same time he should be recruiting.

I would like for him to answer for everything at the end of the year on the radio show, but at the same time he should be recruiting.

Yeah right. Teicher is an athletic department shill and doesn’t ask any hard hitting questions. Would have been a trash interview anyway.

Yeah right. Teicher is an athletic department shill and doesn’t ask any hard hitting questions. Would have been a trash interview anyway.

I know what you mean. I wasn’t expecting it to be a courtroom deposition by any means but it would have been nice to hear him sit there and explain what happened. But at the same time it probably would have annoyed everyone because it probably would have been the same corporate jargon we’ve heard all season. So maybe it’s better he hit the road.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It would be interesting to know how Dimel sells this program to recruits. Two wins in 3 years is a tough buy for any young athlete I'd imagine. I have heard that they try to emphasize "need as opposed to want;" in other words UTEP needs these guys on the field contributing as opposed to larger schools simply wanting the depth but not necessarily using these guys as much as a school like UTEP might.

Well yeah, he is employed by the university so he is not going to talk his way out of a job. That would be really stupid on his part.

I used to look forward to coaches shows, hoping for something illuminating but no matter the coach or school, it's always a lot of coach speech that any of us could script.

Multi-millionaire assholes who can't handle a couple of tough questions.

That's what coaches from high school to the pro level have become. "That's ok coach well have a homer/schill ask you questions."

Damn even the White House doesn't have daily press briefs anymore. No one wants to take accountability for their shit anymore.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
Dimel keeps talking about how we are showing improvement and improvement can't be measured by wins and loses. But he doesn't elaborate on how we have shown improvement. We beat Houston Baptist by only 2 points , so a field goal by Houston Baptist would have resulted in a 0-12 season. We won 1 CUSA game last season, and this season we went winless in CUSA play. He beat Rice last season, but Rice beat us this year and finished the season on a 3 game winning streak. Rice can say that they showed improvement this year, we can't. I wish the media would ask Dimel how we have shown improvement without seeing it in the win column and being 3 points away from having another winless season.

He said the exact same thing last year (Specifically I remember him stating he was going to Kansas, I think Hutch JC) and that had zero net positive results.

Nice man and I'm sure he's a good christian family man, I am not buying what he is selling anymore. Unless he brings in a Sproles rb and Freeman type qb to run his Pistol offense (RPO my ass) there is nothing for me to believe he will win more than two to three games next year. I am sick and damned tired of retreads at UTEP. For UTEP basketball, UTEP hires the best available for the price. Jesus, they attracted a coach away from the MW; they can do it for football. They did once with a good assistant in the late 80's by the name of Bob Stull but for some reason they went with slick, snake oil selling coaches. That's exactly what Dimel did. Charts, graphs, all smiles and wearing his best Sansabelt pants and coat and sold a paper bag of crap saying he knew how to rebuild a program.

I'm not defending Dimel, just mentioning that him not appearing on the final radio show was covered in advance.

Even if Dimel does eventually turn things around, that won't excuse/be justification for the poor results of this 2nd season. This really feels like it was a lost season. The only good that came from this season was that he preserved the red shirt of a lot of players and he possibly(hopefully) received a wake up call this year, which forced some much needed changes.

I do think that Dimel should be brought in front of the media for a year end interview, to account for some of the things that many have been asking. In particular, Dimel spent all season talking about how we had "winnable games at the end of our schedule".....then we lost them all?

I also think that Dimel should be asked why he did not use this lost season to develop his young redshirts better? Goodwin did not play a single snap, Hardison only played in 1 1/2 games, and Hankins only got 9 carries all season.....that's it! Last night, Nealy stated that we will not be signing a QB and that we will be going with the young guys on our roster, so then why did only one of our young QB's play this year and even then he only played in less than 2 games, especially when so many games were double digit blowouts?

^^^^^^^^
How is it going to work with Hardison next season. Dimel's offense requires a mobile QB and Hardison has zero mobility. Why do you bring in QB's that can't run your style of offense?????

Reactions: utep-piggy
Not bringing in a qb? Wtf are we gonna do once Hardison and or Goodwin go down? 2020 could be a repeat of 2017.

Even more concerning is that he mentioned both Torrez and Brownholtz, as if they are in the mix, but how much QB development has honestly been invested into those 2 guys over this past year? I believe that both guys spent more time at other positions. There was no mention of Bravo.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I think it's also worth mentioning when you bring in JUCO's you dont have a five year plan. JUCOs are quick fixes win now guys. If he was really implementing a five year plan he would be recruiting 100% high school recruits and redshirting them.

I think it's also worth mentioning when you bring in JUCO's you dont have a five year plan. JUCOs are quick fixes win now guys. If he was really implementing a five year plan he would be recruiting 100% high school recruits and redshirting them.
If he did do that, then you'll more of this

Dimel keeps talking about how we are showing improvement and improvement can't be measured by wins and loses. But he doesn't elaborate on how we have shown improvement. We beat Houston Baptist by only 2 points , so a field goal by Houston Baptist would have resulted in a 0-12 season. We won 1 CUSA game last season, and this season we went winless in CUSA play. He beat Rice last season, but Rice beat us this year and finished the season on a 3 game winning streak. Rice can say that they showed improvement this year, we can't. I wish the media would ask Dimel how we have shown improvement without seeing it in the win column and being 3 points away from having another winless season.

I'm not defending Dimel, just mentioning that him not appearing on the final radio show was covered in advance.

Even if Dimel does eventually turn things around, that won't excuse/be justification for the poor results of this 2nd season. This really feels like it was a lost season. The only good that came from this season was that he preserved the red shirt of a lot of players and he possibly(hopefully) received a wake up call this year, which forced some much needed changes.

I do think that Dimel should be brought in front of the media for a year end interview, to account for some of the things that many have been asking. In particular, Dimel spent all season talking about how we had "winnable games at the end of our schedule".....then we lost them all?

I also think that Dimel should be asked why he did not use this lost season to develop his young redshirts better? Goodwin did not play a single snap, Hardison only played in 1 1/2 games, and Hankins only got 9 carries all season.....that's it! Last night, Nealy stated that we will not be signing a QB and that we will be going with the young guys on our roster, so then why did only one of our young QB's play this year and even then he only played in less than 2 games, especially when so many games were double digit blowouts?
I believe that Hankins sustained a concussion. It was probably severe enough that he didn't get cleared to play the last 2 games.

Even more concerning is that he mentioned both Torrez and Brownholtz, as if they are in the mix, but how much QB development has honestly been invested into those 2 guys over this past year? I believe that both guys spent more time at other positions. There was no mention of Bravo.

Torrez switched to WR and was injured before the season. The only times I ever saw Bravo was when he stood on the sideline without pads on (redshirt?)

I don’t see anything wrong with bringing in a handful of JuCos. Bring in a bunch, reeks of desperation, but nothing wrong with a few. They can’t play anyway or else they would have gone to a better program. See Kai Locksley for proof.

I'm aware of Hankins concussion, but it is still poor management to get your best prospect only 9 total carries over an entire season, when we had 4 different games that we could have used him in.

One good thing that happened this year is the WR Cowing could be an elite receiving threat. That is if a capable QB can get it to him. If we suck again as bad as this year, he'll get picked up, by a Bigger School. He seemed too good for this team, this year. Also we have a Stud RB on his way back in Wadley. I don't necessarily have faith in Dimel, but was looking for at least a couple of positives for next year.

Reactions: kickballpro
I think Dimels six year plan is being interrupted by Senter. Dimel probably thought since he’s guaranteed five years he can chug along with 1 win seasons until boom year five the switch turns on and all of a sudden we’re the Kansas St of the G5.

Now under pressure to win he’s going the juco route. His indecisive ways will be his downfall.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I think Dimels six year plan is being interrupted by Senter. Dimel probably thought since he’s guaranteed five years he can chug along with 1 win seasons until boom year five the switch turns on and all of a sudden we’re the Kansas St of the G5.

Now under pressure to win he’s going the juco route. His indecisive ways will be his downfall.
I'm fully on board with a 5-year plan if we see evidence of good coaching along the way. But UTEP's players are so undisciplined with all the penalties and they look clueless with clock management. Do they not practice the 2-minute drill? Defense has regressed.

I'm fully on board with a 5-year plan if we see evidence of good coaching along the way. But UTEP's players are so undisciplined with all the penalties and they look clueless with clock management. Do they not practice the 2-minute drill? Defense has regressed.

UTEP fans watching the same lineman commit three false starts against Rice.
giphy.gif

What needs to we have?

We obviously need a QB. I don't know if that guy is on the roster now or not but we need someone to step up.

OL needs some work.

We're pretty good at RB and WR right?

We could use a tight end.

We need to pressure the QB so a speed rush guy or two.

Versatile linbacker.

I think our DBs have grown and they are not an area of critical need right now.

Defensive lineman is the number one need. We need guys who generate a pass rush and hold their gaps.

Second need position is offensive tackle. We have been soundly beaten at both tackle spots the last two years.

Third most pressing need is linebacker. We need depth and more speed in our linebacking core.

Fourth most pressing need is punter. We need a punter who can flip field posistion. We've been terrible at that posistion for the last two years

Fifth most pressing need is a tight end who can stretch the field vertically.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it has to do with physical development. Putting in a kid right out of high school against 22 and 23 year-old men could also result in injury. That won't help develop anybody

Teicher has mentioned it a few times, but we did not start a single offensive possession in the opponents territory all season long. Not once in 12 games. That is almost impossible to do. It means that we are not winning the field position battle, we are not getting great special teams play, and it means that our defense is providing absolutely no pressure.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Teicher has mentioned it a few times, but we did not start a single offensive possession in the opponents territory all season long. Not once in 12 games. That is almost impossible to do. It means that we are not winning the field position battle, we are not getting great special teams play, and it means that our defense is providing absolutely no pressure.

I think the closest the team came was that kickoff return for a touchdown against UNT

So maybe UTEP’s O-line coach is not out. Looking at him right now at Love Field in Dallas rocking UTEP gear.

Just talked to Dimel, and asked about his JUCO plans.

3 LB’s, 2 DE’s and and DT but number could jump to 8 with the transfers. He was in Roswell, and Los Angeles this week. Said they have about 10-12 kids coming this weekend

Good to know he was in the fertile recruiting grounds of Roswell! Cranking out 5 star studs all the time! Thank you Dana!

Dimel is now eating a lollipop after our conversation, looks like a blow pop can’t confirm but could be one of those tootsie pops too. Also has a sweet customized leather UTEP bag and looks tired. He also said a witty and charming thing to the ladies running the SW Airlines deal and had them laughing, dude is a charmer.

I will provide drunken play-by-play of my flight with Dana Dimel as the night unfolds lmao

Also...our conversation was interrupted by a phone call by Mike Cox. Meanwhile Dimel is hitting the road recruiting their main defensive needs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT