ADVERTISEMENT

Dec 14th is start of LOI perior for mid-year JC FB

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Will UTEP try to load up on transfers this year? Is this the last gasp for Kugler? What will it take for him to field a winning team next year? If Hernandez and AJ leave for the draft, can UTEP still have success next season?

I figured that since we now know Kugler will be here next season we may as well discuss the possibilities for the 2017 edition.

Kugler was at the State Line Restaurant on Friday Night with a couple of recruits. One of them has already committed and will have 3 years of eligibility.

http://www.minerrush.com/2016/12/11...co-db-kalaii-griffin-commits-to-utep#comments

He is listed as a Strong Safety, but my guess is that he is being brought in as a OLB for 3rd down and passing situations. His JC teammate is also in play and he would be a good get for us.

In this recruiting class, we desperately need a true #1 WR who can also be a legitimate deep threat. I guess that's easier said than done though.

In other news, Kobie Herring and his teammate have been committed to us for a long time and Kobie was named the 2A State Defensive Player of the Year. His team is also playing for the State Championship this weekend.

http://www.minerrush.com/2016/12/12...ring-named-ap-2a-defensive-player-of-the-year

Reactions: DaMinerMan
Kugler said he's going JUCO for linebackers two weeks ago and a solid SAM backer he got. Kalaii Griffin is tall and 220 lbs. athletic and fights through blocks while he was in the seconday for Ventura JC. I seriously doubt Kugler puts him as a safety, but if Cockrell goes down (two years ago he was out the entire season and he did hurt late this season) Griffin should fill in nicely. Griffin should give Alvin Jones and Dante Lovilette some much needed help because once you got past those two, it was off to the races for the opposing team. Alvin is just UTEP's straight up Mike backer and is the defensive qb, Lovilette is more of Will backer and adding Griffin for the weak side to help against teams like Army, La Tech and Rice because he is that perfect size, speed and quickness and does not appear to be afraid to lay the hit on big backs. UTEP will need him big time for the first half of the schedule because OU, NMSU and Army have strong running games.

This is a solid thumbs up recruit for UTEP and the defensive staff and I don't know how Kugler does it, but his commits stay committed. But then again, Kugler's recruiting has been good, he just can't get more "W's".

Will UTEP try to load up on transfers this year? Is this the last gasp for Kugler? What will it take for him to field a winning team next year? If Hernandez and AJ leave for the draft, can UTEP still have success next season?

I figured that since we now know Kugler will be here next season we may as well discuss the possibilities for the 2017 edition.

Sinegal had a pretty good year and was a surprise to Miner fans for the UTSA game. He can go deep but out jump and fight for deep balls has yet to be seen. UTEP brought in some JUCO from Minnesota two years ago but I guess he hasn't panned out because Kugler was singing his praises because that was his specialty, the deep ball....oh well. I think UTEP fans just have to get it in their head that Kugler does not play the deep pass, maybe every once in while, but it's just not in his coaching DNA and he is insistent on his power running game. It just doesn't work because UTEP opponents will stack it every down and the play calling is as vanilla as vanilla can taste. Kug plays the clock, he feels that long sustained drives are his key to winning. Forget the deep pass, or any type of pass over 10 yards, its not going to happen under his leadership. It's screens, quick out and short delays (to the TE) for Kugler and that's it, and for the life of me I can't figure out why he sticks to that because any decent defense with a good coordinator and with a good linebacker can quickly diagnose just by the offensive line movement. He has to add some pop to his offensive arsenal, but don't bet on a more open passing attack.

Kugler P5 transfers have been ok. Plinke was not a p5 transfer but only he and Showers have been UTEP's best transfer recruits. Missouri has a graduate QB transferring who has been making the college football sports rumor mill but I doubt UTEP goes after him because we have Metz who has cemented his position this year.

Kugler P5 transfers have been ok. Plinke was not a p5 transfer but only he and Showers have been UTEP's best transfer recruits. Missouri has a graduate QB transferring who has been making the college football sports rumor mill but I doubt UTEP goes after him because we have Metz who has cemented his position this year.[/QUOTE]

The QB question is an interesting one. I wonder if Greenlee will stick around since he lost out to Metz and also K. Johnson, who seems to have been in the process of moving to WR. If they both left and assuming Leftwich is not coming back, the Miners would once again be short handed at QB.

So UTEP signed 3 mid-year JC football players to address needs. A LB, DB and TE. The mid-year transfer window extends thru mid Jan so there could be more. I believe Kugler also said that he might hold some spots open until the graduate transfers start coming out in the spring.

This might be interesting because this is "have to get it done" mode for his program. He has a brutal first half schedule and he needs players that can come in right now and contribute right now. If he can parlay a 3-1 record after the first four, the season would look way more palpable going into a tough conference schedule against the top CUSA contenders. UTEP had the cupcakes of CUSA last year (other than ODU and La Tech) but this year is the total opposite.

I really don't think these juco's and transfers realize how much pressure will be on them given Kugler's situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT