ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel’s Assistants

I agree and while we are it we should also stop flying our potential recruits through Southwest. That’s probably why they don’t commit.

At least Southwest doesn’t have hydraulic fluid streaking down the outside of the windows like Allegiant.

Poss needs to go. He's a nice guy but a terrible opperations man.
I've heard stories of Ice Cream, chicken strips, and other unhealthy crap Poss coordinates the night before games, and we've also never won a game on the east coast with Poss making those accommodations. Not saying he's to blame, but we have to evolve and get away from the good ole boy system even as fans. Nate has done great things for UTEP football, but at the same time it's time for a total overhaul including him.

Having worked within the program, i can tell you that Coach Poss has nothing to do with coaching players or any actual game related performances. He coordinates the travel accommodations, training camp accommodations after game meals, per diem, etc.... I think retaining him is smart due to his contacts that make all the back end items that no one considers possible.

Love the guy. Like I said, I call him "coach" out of respect since I've known him since he was a coach

Reactions: kickballpro
Kai Locksley said, " Wait a minute...if Poss goes I ain't comin'! I don't want some amateur comin' in and callin' the travel shots".

I've heard stories of Ice Cream, chicken strips, and other unhealthy crap Poss coordinates the night before games, and we've also never won a game on the east coast with Poss making those accommodations. Not saying he's to blame, but we have to evolve and get away from the good ole boy system even as fans. Nate has done great things for UTEP football, but at the same time it's time for a total overhaul including him.
I run a hotel and if that is what is being ordered, than we must have a really crappy travel budget!!

Reactions: El Paso 777
I’ve travelled with the football team twice and once with the b-ball team. I have to admit the food they ate was not healthy. I thought it was more of a money and logistics issues. One hundred meals or so that you need to eat on a bus on theway back to the airport must be difficult to plan. All while in another city.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Trevor Szilagyi 6'4.5" 260lb DL from Highland Ranch, CO offered

Canales posted on twitter that SW airlines lost (then found) his luggage on his way to recruiting Oklahoma.

Reactions: develman
Known him since he first arrived at UTEP after coaching at Coronado. The term "Coach" is a show of respect many share for him. He now actually works for the athletic department in charge of football operations. Hoping Mr. Senter holds on to him

He doesn't coach and he doesn't call plays. In fact here are the things he actually does straight from the UTEP website: "Poss is responsible for organizing and implementing team travel, arranges and coordinates UTEP’s preseason camp both in El Paso and Ruidoso, N.M., and is responsible for the Miner football players’ summer job placement around El Paso."

Dimel and his staff seem to be doing an amazing job recruiting. As someone else pointed out, I have not seen that much FB recruiting buzz ever.

Reactions: Axe-cuseme
I think a few of us got a big surprise with Dimel's pick as our football coach.
He has assemble a good staff to back him up. Lets just hope some of them
can stay here long enough to turn the programs around.

Go Miners...

Reactions: Axe-cuseme
He just started, I'm sure they're still working on the terms of everything. The fact that it's Southwest is irrelevant at this point. For a tan as down in the dumps as Utep it well noted that we have one of the highest recruiting budgets in the conference. Now hopefully these coaches take full advantage and hut some home runs late in the game

Who is paying for canales to be flying ? Is Utep paying him already?
Yes. Very typical in college athletics. Both parties "come to terms" and if "yes", you hit the ground running. Canales has a ton of ground to cover.

Unfortunately Southwest has the most direct flights out of El Paso. I will be the first to admit Southwest sucks a fat one but if you’re flying out of Iowa it probably takes less time on Southwest as opposed to other Airlines.

Reactions: Minerforlife
At the same time Canales seems to understand the importance of social media especially for fans. UTEP didn’t have that with Floyd or Kugler.
AGREE UtepMiner8106 !!! CANales seems to give the impression that he's connected to the fans and in touch with todays athletes. And yes, there seems to be more chatter about recruiting than in the past.

Unfortunately Southwest has the most direct flights out of El Paso. I will be the first to admit Southwest sucks a fat one but if you’re flying out of Iowa it probably takes less time on Southwest as opposed to other Airlines.

I have flown Southwest dozens of times and never had a problem. What don't you like about Southwest?

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Ugh.... I’m not going to get into some argument because now you need to defend Southwest Airlines’ honor.

Reactions: MinerJo
Not a fan of their boarding process. Would rather have a seat assignment. Other than that I think they're great

Oh, you mean like some of those real airlines, like American or United. Just makin' airlines great again...

Bought a ticket on Frontier recently - then I had to buy a SEAT on the plan (or sit in steerage)! Baggage fees were greater than the price of the ticket! Helluva business model those folks got, I tell ya...

I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I’m glad we caught up to the 21st century and hired some coaches who are active on social media.
Do these guys sound excited or what! I'm getting pumped just hearing them talk. This attitude should help with recruiting as well. Sleeping Giant!

Well, they certainly win the post season CUSA social media award. They even got their commits to post nice pics of UTEP along with their social media verbal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT