ADVERTISEMENT

Discounted Tickets for UTEP's Home Opener- May 16 Only

EPUTEP

MI Regular
Feb 22, 2023

In conjunction with the induction of the 1988 UTEP football team into the UTEP Athletics Hall of Fame, the Sept. 2 game marks the return of Miner Magic on 80's Night. To celebrate, UTEP is rolling back football ticket prices to 1988 for one day only on Tuesday, May 16. Tickets will be available for just $7 and $12 in select sections for the Miners' home opener from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. on Tuesday. The discounted tickets can be purchased during that 12-hour window by visiting www.UTEPMiners.com/Tickets or by calling (915) 747-UTEP.

I just read the article and found this gem - “ On Sept. 23, the Miners will host UNLV on 915 Heroes Night. This is also UTEP's Sun Bowl Sellout game for 2023, with a goal of packing 45,971 fans into the stadium as the Miners take on an old Western Athletic Conference rival.”

So they think they will be able to sellout the Sun Bowl for UNLV. LMAO. UTEP will likely be 2-2 at best for that game and coming off two losses. Even called UNLV an old WAC rival. They were in the WAC together for 3 years!!!!! They didn’t even play a single football game against each other then! LMAO.

This athletics department is a joke!

I just read the article and found this gem - “ On Sept. 23, the Miners will host UNLV on 915 Heroes Night. This is also UTEP's Sun Bowl Sellout game for 2023, with a goal of packing 45,971 fans into the stadium as the Miners take on an old Western Athletic Conference rival.”

So they think they will be able to sellout the Sun Bowl for UNLV. LMAO. UTEP will likely be 2-2 at best for that game and coming off two losses. Even called UNLV an old WAC rival. They were in the WAC together for 3 years!!!!! They didn’t even play a single football game against each other then! LMAO.

This athletics department is a joke!
Very wishful thinking utep will sell that one out... unless they are undefeated. Utep ruined their shot at winning el paso back after the butt whooping they took against UTSA and UNT.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I think this little snippet from ESPN is why people won't be showing up! Dimel is self-sabotaging by not allowing for a true quarterback competition. Gavin is not going to get better and is one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of the FBS playoff era.

"Hardison's 52.1% completions are the seventh-lowest by any FBS QB with at least 300 attempts in the playoff era, and just one-tenth of a percentage point away from tying for the lowest of the past five years."

I think this little snippet from ESPN is why people won't be showing up! Dimel is self-sabotaging by not allowing for a true quarterback competition. Gavin is not going to get better and is one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of the FBS playoff era.

"Hardison's 52.1% completions are the seventh-lowest by any FBS QB with at least 300 attempts in the playoff era, and just one-tenth of a percentage point away from tying for the lowest of the past five years."

Hardison completion % in 3rd quarters in 2022: 44.6%

Hardison completion % in 4th quarters in 2022: 48.5%

Hardison completion % on 3rd and 7 and longer in 2022: 48%

Yet we gotta hear and be nice when UTEP Zay and Colin Deaver hype him up on twitter now that Smith might return all got damn summer.

I hate UTEP Athletics right now.

A good college qb can make the easy throws, complete the short and intermediate passes. It's weird. Hardison can throw the deep ball but he cannot throw the other stuff accurately on a consistent basis. It is easy to take away the stuff he can throw, so he struggles. It's an indictment on dimel to keep trotting Hardison out there like he is a good D1 QB.

A good college qb can make the easy throws, complete the short and intermediate passes. It's weird. Hardison can throw the deep ball but he cannot throw the other stuff accurately on a consistent basis. It is easy to take away the stuff he can throw, so he struggles. It's an indictment on dimel to keep trotting Hardison out there like he is a good D1 QB.
Great post. 💯

He's not even a good deep ball thrower. His issue is he doesn't understand the progressions in the offense. I remember after the Oklahoma game people were giving him Kudos for throwing a ball into a tight window. If you go back and watch the play, the progression told him to hit the backside slant. He's a very nice young man and everybody around the team really seems to like him. I do however know quite a few people will be glad when his eligibility expires at the end of this season.

He's not even a good deep ball thrower. His issue is he doesn't understand the progressions in the offense. I remember after the Oklahoma game people were giving him Kudos for throwing a ball into a tight window. If you go back and watch the play, the progression told him to hit the backside slant. He's a very nice young man and everybody around the team really seems to like him. I do however know quite a few people will be glad when his eligibility expires at the end of this season.
Found the video, it's the second one. It was a back side dig not slant. This is the crap he's been doing for 3 years. It's not going to get better at this point so Coach Dimel really should move on from him.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
I bought 14 tickets… so far it’s 5 of us going. Hopefully I can intrigue some folks to go… I flew last year for the UNT. Hopefully when I arrive, the outcome is different this year.

Reactions: Taco1977

I'll bet Hardison ranks better in the "deep completions" stat. He throws, and completes, lots of long passes. He has an arm. It's just a shame he struggles with medium throws. I don't know how much of that is Hardison and how much of that is Dimel's schemes.

It's a shame that Brownholtz left to play in Italy (?). I thought he actually showed improvement last season. Did he feel he wouldn't be able to challenge Hardison for more playing time, or is the pay for professional American football in Italy just so much that he couldn't pass it up?

I'll bet Hardison ranks better in the "deep completions" stat. He throws, and completes, lots of long passes. He has an arm. It's just a shame he struggles with medium throws. I don't know how much of that is Hardison and how much of that is Dimel's schemes.

It's a shame that Brownholtz left to play in Italy (?). I thought he actually showed improvement last season. Did he feel he wouldn't be able to challenge Hardison for more playing time, or is the pay for professional American football in Italy just so much that he couldn't pass it up?
Find the stat for his deep throws (over 20 yards). I'd bet it's below 30%.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Dimel's play designs. People are open a lot. He just doesn't know what he's looking at. Dimel is to blame for allowing this guy to continue to be the de facto starter without allowing any challenges. At the end of this season it will probably cost him his job.

I actually found it. He was second worst at 25.8%. There was only three quarterbacks in our league that was below 35%. The worst was the quarterback from UAB at 25%. 3rd place was the quarterback from Rice at 29.5%. He's just not good at really anything on the field. He's a good locker room guy though.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I actually found it. He was second worst at 25.8%. There was only three quarterbacks in our league that was below 35%. The worst was the quarterback from UAB at 25%. 3rd place was the quarterback from Rice at 29.5%. He's just not good at really anything on the field. He's a good locker room guy though.

How did he rank in 2021 (his best season) on the deep throws? His QBR and completion % were both better in 2021, which probably had something to do with Cowing. But I definitely remember lots of deep completions that season. (I don't have a premium account on that site you linked.)

Find the stat for his deep throws (over 20 yards). I'd bet it's below 30%.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Dimel's play designs. People are open a lot. He just doesn't know what he's looking at. Dimel is to blame for allowing this guy to continue to be the de facto starter without allowing any challenges. At the end of this season it will probably cost him his job.
Dimel himself admitted that he was calling too many pass plays in certain games (like New Mexico). Sometimes the pass opens up the run and the run opens up the pass. Dimel was the one calling over twice as many pass plays as running plays in the New Mexico game. Sometimes I think Dimel gets tunnel vision. (If I just keep calling pass plays, eventually we'll start completing them! I don't need to make any adjustments to my gameplan. My gameplan was perfect.)

Brownholtz showed much more improvement than Hardison last season. I think he deserved a shot to compete for the starting spot, and I wonder if he left because Dimel told him it wasn't going to happen.

Dimel himself admitted that he was calling too many pass plays in certain games (like New Mexico). Sometimes the pass opens up the run and the run opens up the pass. Dimel was the one calling over twice as many pass plays as running plays in the New Mexico game. Sometimes I think Dimel gets tunnel vision. (If I just keep calling pass plays, eventually we'll start completing them! I don't need to make any adjustments to my gameplan. My gameplan was perfect.)

Brownholtz showed much more improvement than Hardison last season. I think he deserved a shot to compete for the starting spot, and I wonder if he left because Dimel told him it wasn't going to happen.
Of course he took the blame on himself. Very few coaches are going to throw their quarterback under the bus. Doesn't change the fact that people were running open all game long against New Mexico.

How did he rank in 2021 (his best season) on the deep throws? His QBR and completion % were both better in 2021, which probably had something to do with Cowing. But I definitely remember lots of deep completions that season. (I don't have a premium account on that site you linked.)
His completion percentage was better. He completed 42.2%. That was good enough for 7th in conference. His quarterback rating was only marginally better, 81.5 to 79.5. I believe that has to do with he threw six interceptions on deep throats in 2021. Where in 2022 he only threw one interception. In your other post you talked about Dimel calling too many deep shots last year. He actually threw two less deep passes last year, 62 to 64.

Of course he took the blame on himself. Very few coaches are going to throw their quarterback under the bus. Doesn't change the fact that people were running open all game long against New Mexico.
Then the next week we called 5 times as many running plays as passing plays vs. Boise and won. And of the 11 passes Hardison threw that day, he completed 10. Hmm... I guess the players must have been REALLY open in the Boise game when Hardison threw to them.

If Dimel actually thought that he called too many passing plays in the New Mexico game, then he sure drafted a gameplan for Boise that accounted for it. Sometimes the run opens up the pass.

His completion percentage was better. He completed 42.2%. That was good enough for 7th in conference. His quarterback rating was only marginally better, 81.5 to 79.5. I believe that has to do with he threw six interceptions on deep throats in 2021. Where in 2022 he only threw one interception. In your other post you talked about Dimel calling too many deep shots last year. He actually threw two less deep passes last year, 62 to 64.
Hardison also missed the last two games of the season. Let's assume he would throw at least one deep ball in each game if he had played.

Then the next week we called 5 times as many running plays as passing plays vs. Boise and won. And of the 11 passes Hardison threw that day, he completed 10. Hmm... I guess the players must have been REALLY open in the Boise game when Hardison threw to them.

If Dimel actually thought that he called too many passing plays in the New Mexico game, then he sure drafted a gameplan for Boise that accounted for it. Sometimes the run opens up the pass.
I'm not sure if you're being serious or deliberately obtuse. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I'm not sure if you're being serious or deliberately obtuse. 🤦🏾‍♂️
Dimel himself said he called too many passing plays against New Mexico, and then the next week he called way fewer passing plays. You're saying that Dimel didn't really mean what he said. I think the evidence suggests that he did in fact believe he called too many passing plays vs. New Mexico. But you're the one who can apparently look into Dimel's mind and tell us what he really believes, so you tell me.

Last edited:
UTEP selling 2 tix to the football and basketball games for $80. So $20 each. No date for the basketball game and a Wednesday night football game. No guarantee you could make plans attending the basketball game. Could even be moved for tv.

Not really a good deal and not having a date for the basketball game, meh. C- promotion grade.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Gotta give credit to UTEP for getting a decent crowd for a terrible team with poor morale around the fan base. I don't see how we get another decent crowd this season.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Gotta give credit to UTEP for getting a decent crowd for a terrible team with poor morale around the fan base. I don't see how we get another decent crowd this season.
Like almost all of the tickets sold for tonight’s game were sold weeks ago. They probably sold less than 100 since Senter announced they had 28k in August. Most of those 28k were sold at a discount. The mayor allegedly bought 5,000 tickets on his own dime. Probably a nickel for each.

Smoke and mirrors from Senter. You will see what the real UTEP ticket base is for the game on Friday.

Like almost all of the tickets sold for tonight’s game were sold weeks ago. They probably sold less than 100 since Senter announced they had 28k in August. Most of those 28k were sold at a discount. The mayor allegedly bought 5,000 tickets on his own dime. Probably a nickel for each.

Smoke and mirrors from Senter. You will see what the real UTEP ticket base is for the game on Friday.

But it worked. Gotta give them credit. If they didn't sell ahead of time we would have had 5k there tonight.

But it worked. Gotta give them credit. If they didn't sell ahead of time we would have had 5k there tonight.
Yes, it is smart to try and sell discounted tickets as early as possible. Something a lot of us have suggested for awhile.

It’s telling that they sold very little in the past month and they didn’t even try to sell tickets to this game recently. This was their “Sell out the Sun Bowl” game.

"Most" of the tickets sold went to companies that advertise. I would bet GECU got about 5000 tickets alone. They in turn give them away to employees in such.
My wife's company had tickets that no one would take, including us.

What was the announced attendance?

"Most" of the tickets sold went to companies that advertise. I would bet GECU got about 5000 tickets alone. They in turn give them away to employees in such.
My wife's company had tickets that no one would take, including us.

What was the announced attendance?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT