ADVERTISEMENT

Don Haskins Capacity a Lie

tenor.gif

Reactions: utep2step
I knew they had taken some seats out several years ago, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how damn hard it is to count the seats! You'd think you would have an accurate computer so you could sell all the seats.
So was that the big news?

According to legend (insert snicker here) the Don NEVER had a capacity of 12,222. That was a number the late, great Paul Strelzin made up years ago for promotional purposes. It just roles of the tongue better. There were seats taken out several years ago for the score boards however.

All joking aside about capacity size, The Don seriously needs to be renovated or replaced. It needs to have an open concourse like the Pan Am Center, more restrooms, suites, locker rooms, offices, more seating, and more floor space that can be configurable. About a year or two ago when the whole arena fight between the City and the Max Grossman lead Duranguito protesters began, I believe it was Steve Kaplowitz that wrote an article about an alternative proposal for the arena. He suggested that the City and UTEP should work together to either renovate or build a new arena at the existing site of The Don. El Paso really doesn't need two arenas. A modernized 15,000 to 18,000 seat arena with all the amenities would attract more concerts and events, and can still be used for sports such as UTEP basketball. If the floor is large enough, which it should be, it could also be home to a minor league hockey team as well. More importantly, it could also attract the NCAA as a first/second round tournament site. The more I hear about the City scaling down the planned sized for the yet to be built arena, the more I like the proposal to develop a consortium with UTEP to renovate or replace the Don Haskins Center.

All joking aside about capacity size, The Don seriously needs to be renovated or replaced. It needs to have an open concourse like the Pan Am Center, more restrooms, suites, locker rooms, offices, more seating, and more floor space that can be configurable. About a year or two ago when the whole arena fight between the City and the Max Grossman lead Duranguito protesters began, I believe it was Steve Kaplowitz that wrote an article about an alternative proposal for the arena. He suggested that the City and UTEP should work together to either renovate or build a new arena at the existing site of The Don. El Paso really doesn't need two arenas. A modernized 15,000 to 18,000 seat arena with all the amenities would attract more concerts and events, and can still be used for sports such as UTEP basketball. If the floor is large enough, which it should be, it could also be home to a minor league hockey team as well. More importantly, it could also attract the NCAA as a first/second round tournament site. The more I hear about the City scaling down the planned sized for the yet to be built arena, the more I like the proposal to develop a consortium with UTEP to renovate or replace the Don Haskins Center.

The Pan Am Center is a POS.

Why would UTEP and the city agree to that? They both want to keep money from their events and not split it with each other. Many large cities have multiple arenas.

The DHC will need a significant contribution from a rich donor to be renovated. Right now, it makes no sense as the games are lucky to be 50% full.

The plan has always been for UTEP to move into the new downtown arena when/ if it gets built. With no anchor Tennant the arena would hemorrhage money. The city and UTEP have discussed this for years. UTEP will be the anchor and primary tenant and have first priority for dates.

The plan has always been for UTEP to move into the new downtown arena when/ if it gets built. With no anchor Tennant the arena would hemorrhage money. The city and UTEP have discussed this for years. UTEP will be the anchor and primary tenant and have first priority for dates.
Ridiculous comment. Absolutely false. UTEP wants more venues on or near campus to improve campus life, and therefore increasing student activity there. The Don is already paid for. No fees to account for in rent, etc. It was sportstalk that mentioned that idea.. No chance in hell UTEP wants/or will consider this idea.

Reactions: DanGomez1997
Literally 100% BS and Fake News, Thanks for that made up out of your backside report!

Both AAC schools.

The downtown arena is part of revitalization. As far as I am aware it has nothing to do with UTEP. My only fear is that if no sports can be played there then it will just be a waste. I really hope there is a loophole, otherwise I'm not sure why the arena would even be built. If we can't get boxing, MMA, basketball, etc....it will have a hard time surviving.

why would we want the Don Haskins Center to look like Pan Am? The Pan Am looks like an old barn and it's a piece of crap. now that I have seen some of the facilities that other schools in our conference play in I've become more appreciative of the Don Haskins Center

Reactions: MinerJo
Do not doubt that there will be sports in the arena. Once its built the City can do whatever the heck it wants to with it and noone will step in and stop it.

Yawn !!!!! Why is this a huge bomb that Kappy dropped ?!? 12,000-11,000 it doesn't matter if you cant fill it !!! I'm sure talks will come up again if Coach Terry has his teams competing again. It definitely will be nice to have it renovated or re built.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Will shock me?? UTEP signs a 5 star will shock me—- people not knowing how to add has been around for centuries!

Reactions: MinerJo
YES!!! I have season tickets and hopefully they won’t drive up the price too much with the new arena!

Here's a question -- when did the Don Haskins Center become "the Donnie"? I've heard this a few times now and I may be sounding old and out of touch on this one, but I hate it. Having grown up during the Haskins years and being a student toward the end of his run I never once heard anyone call him anything but "Coach Haskins", "Coach", "Bear" or "Don" (and very few called him in that familiar sense).

Again, maybe it's just me overreacting

Here's a question -- when did the Don Haskins Center become "the Donnie"? I've heard this a few times now and I may be sounding old and out of touch on this one, but I hate it. Having grown up during the Haskins years and being a student toward the end of his run I never once heard anyone call him anything but "Coach Haskins", "Coach", "Bear" or "Don" (and very few called him in that familiar sense).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Haskins_Center

Never heard it call that. Really hate it

Reactions: Cube Jack
He said, concourse like the Pan Am center! NO! I never thought anyone would say we need to look like that BARN up the road!

While Universities continue building arenas on campus, UTEP moves off campus? Fake news!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT