ADVERTISEMENT

Dont give up folks.... But this will be all season

DAYDEV

Starter
Feb 10, 2004
Dimel needs a lot of time to fix this. I guess some didnt really realize how bad the talent was on this team. Kugler left this team the worst team talent wise in the nation and now we are seeing the proof. We complain about WR but do you remember 2-3 years ago he didnt sign a WR but folks were happy we had like 4 El Paso WR get a walk on or Blue Shirt? This is why we are in this situation. Folks we are going through the next 2 years of the Self Imposed Death Penalty thanks to Kugler. Give the new staff a chance.

I agree, it’s a total rebuild. You can hire (insert name here) and I doubt they’ll turn this team around to a 12-0 team

That is a fair assessment. I feel like there were improvements today. The defense played tough, the tackling looked bette, and Kai showed some things. But the D-Line still gets 0 Pressure, the WRs absolutely suck, and the O-Line may be worse. Right now this is the start we didn’t want but deep down we expected. For all the rah rah Dimel and Senter did I’m the off season right now this is where they need to show their worth because we’ve seen how these types of games can lead to things going from bad to worse.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I agree with the long rebuild and need for patience. I never predicted a miner win in this game, especially with our o-line issues. With all of that being said, and as I have posted before, Mike Canales is a losing coach. Plain and simple. His record and performance over the past 8 years prove that he is not productive(he has been on 7 losing teams in the last 8 years and whichever offense that he has coached at during the past 8 years has been worse than UTEP’s offense in all but 3 of the past 8 years). His recent performance reflects that he is no where near the level of coach who can turn around our bad offense. I think our defense and special teams will have a chance, but If Dimel fails, his decision to bring in Canales will be looked back as a major reason for his failure.

Canales only scored 10 points tonight against a FCS defense that averaged only 247 pounds per man on the defensive line. Ouch.

Dimel has 3 big offensive commitments and not losing them because of a toxic season appears to possibly be the biggest goal of the next 4 months.

Last edited:
Who cares? Too many stupid penalties. Teo straight TO's to put defense in a tough situation.

Bad, bad, bad game even for a 1st year coach.

UNLV is going to kill UTEP.

That is a fair assessment. I feel like there were improvements today. The defense played tough, the tackling looked bette, and Kai showed some things. But the D-Line still gets 0 Pressure, the WRs absolutely suck, and the O-Line may be worse. Right now this is the start we didn’t want but deep down we expected. For all the rah rah Dimel and Senter did I’m the off season right now this is where they need to show their worth because we’ve seen how these types of games can lead to things going from bad to worse.
Let’s see if the same holds true next week vs an FBS opponent.

I don't think there is any doubt that this team is even worse than last year's team, and that is saying a lot. Even BEFORE losing Gatewood and Long for the year, I expected the offensive line to be worse than last year after losing Hernandez. NAU absolutely dominated on both sides of the line. To say this is going to be a long season is probably the biggest understatement. Very disappointing start for Dimel. I thought the poor coaching gave a team with so little talent no chance. Honestly, at this point, I really don't see even the faintest light at the end of the tunnel. Horrible product.

This was a very unprepared team. All the crap with who will start at QB didn't help. Metz doesn't have it. I will be at the UNLV game, but not expecting much... This was a bad bad loss.

Unless the clean up the penalties and find some thing to fix the lines we’re going to be in deep s—t. Why the hell do I keep buying tickets.

I think the performance tonight proved that those coaches who interviewed were right about their assessment of having a D2 roster, at best. It only makes matters worse that we paid NAU $325,000 for the beat down in a game attended by just over 17,000 fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
#EPMAD is off to a bad start. Looks like Every Person will be avoiding the Sun Bowl the rest of the year.

Having a bad team is one thing, getting beat down by a FCS team is another.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think the performance tonight proved that those coaches who interviewed were right about their assessment of having a D2 roster, at best. It only makes matters worse that we paid NAU $325,000 for the beat down in a game attended by just over 17,000 fans.

With such poor attendance do you guys think that UTEP operated at a loss for that game?

Yes we payed NAU 350,000 to kick our ass. If I was the director of marketing I would start updating my resume.
You can market the hell out of this team, but you can’t make them buy tickets. El Pasoans love a winner, and will not tolerate a loser*.

*bonus points if you know which movie I’m referring to. Just replace el pasoans with Americans

First game under new coaches, new systems against a really good FCS team with what I believe is an NFL caliber receiver. Excecution will improve. Talent will improve with time. Locksley getting a full game and full reps will improve. Let's stay positive and continue to support the Miners.

First game under new coaches, new systems against a really good FCS team with what I believe is an NFL caliber receiver. Excecution will improve. Talent will improve with time. Locksley getting a full game and full reps will improve. Let's stay positive and continue to support the Miners.

AMEN!

How many games is UTEP going to win this season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT