ADVERTISEMENT

Letter from Dana Dimel to fans:

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I know Miner Nation is disappointed, but please see the Big Picture and know this thing is going in the right direction. The teams that were supposed to suck were better than we thought, Jacksonville St., Northwestern, UNLV, NMSU, etc ... Had these teams continued to suck and not improve as we have not improved then we'd have a better record, obviously. Scoring points is not my major concern here at UTEP. I've proved that I'm about time of possession, bad penalties, turnovers and not making second half adjustments..... Wait, I meant I'm not about scoring, I'm about winning and unfortunately that hasn't happened this year. Gosh, I really believe we have the most talent in the Conference and if we could've made a play here or there we'd be talking about a Bowl game right now. Look, I could go anywhere in the country, but we're gonna finish what we started here and milk this university and fans for all their worth... sorry what I meant to say is we're gonna finish what we started and give this community more false hope... Uhh.. I mean get this team to our yearly goal of 6 victories, cause that's all I believe I'm capable of producing here and if I do that once every 5 years I'll get an extension. Thanks again Miner fans and we'll get this thing going in the right direction, that I can't promise, I mean can promise every 4 or 5 years!

I know Miner Nation is disappointed, but please see the Big Picture and know this thing is going in the right direction. The teams that were supposed to suck were better than we thought, Jacksonville St., Northwestern, UNLV, NMSU, etc ...
Well, I never thought NMSU was going to suck, not with Kill as the coach. I expected them to be a bowl team again.

Northwestern did certainly turn out to be better than I thought, and there's nobody happier about that than me. They just dominated Wisconsin and look almost certain to be playing in a bowl game somewhere. Arizona is in the top 25 and UNLV is sitting at 8-2. So, it turns out that UTEP did indeed have a very difficult non-conference schedule.

That doesn't excuse their losses to LA Tech and WKU. If UTEP wants to be a bowl team, those games need to be Ws. LA Tech was a bit of bad luck because UTEP hadn't yet figured out that McConnell is better than Hurley, but they still shouldn't be losing by 2 TDs at home to LA Tech. And stupid play-calling blew the chance to defeat Jacksonville State.

He got intel that told him to say the right things in the introductory press conference then you just sit back and relax for the next 10 plus years until you decide to retire. That’s how it is done at UTEP.
Unfortunately yes. UTEP has a very defeatous complex.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
He might win it with his own team and it only took him two recruiting cycles. Y’all remember when we excused Dimel’s first class cuz blah blah blah?
To be fair, things were a little different in 2018. However, there is no excuse for the next coach. Winning 3 games should be the floor in 2024 and then being at or near bowl eligible in 2025 is acceptable. Anything less and he should be fired.

Mississippi St just fired their coach and he didn’t even get 1 year.

Reactions: JCorona
The silence from AD Senters office now until after the Liberty game will be deafening.

It is now clearly plain to see the working business model UTEP President’s office has with UTEP athletics office. Senter is calling the shots. We’re calling him weak on here but he clearly driving everything UTEP athletics and President Wilson just shows up to shake fan hands, eat a churro and “smile, smile, smile”. And so 2step? It’s like that everywhere in college sports! She clearly is not involved in anything business related but kept abreast by assistants.

This is a problem. A big problem. No real “check & balances” on Senter. As stated on here many times, post Dimel doesn’t want retreads. Kill is not a “retread” but a medical case circumstance. Ok, good for NMSU.

Back to the Ponderosa in EP…..

Senter blew it with Dimel hire. His resume, which he tried to rewrite in 2021 news piece, was a blowing trumpet. Coach Snyder primed Senter (and staff?) and Dimel put in a bullet point presentation and “I’m your guy!” that made mid-major sports management neophyte Senter curl his toes with delight. Stull wouldn’t have hired Dimel, but anyways…

Who is watching Senter? EP media? LOL!…. Yeah. Bloomquist is the best bet and to use a real estate term, it’s an “Arms Length” relationship. “Fan Council”? Not their job. Boosters? Now that’s a good question but all we’re told is they are helping build, which are basically expensive cosmetic items. BOR members and staff? No. UTEP is not small potatoes but not big potatoes and Wilson has UTEP politicos focused on Aerospace growth for the school which is great, really great but in Austin, sports, academics, and boosters have a symbiotic relationship, not here. At least it doesn’t appear to be?

Do not expect a word from Wilson on UTEP athletics. Hell, she didn’t get excited about Keitha hire. Senter put out media PR campaign for Keiths. UTEP lost a legendary track coach….silence! Senter has what Stull really wanted, unfettered 110% control. Natalicio gave Stull control but slapped his hand on MW expansion (Kappy ESPN600 says it’s unsubstantiated) and he had to give face to face reports. Her “50/50” comment on UTEP football left many on here speechless. You can have big boosters but you have to put fannies in the seats to pay overhead. Monster Truck Show money gets UTEP “in the black” but she appears clueless about D1 sports business, very clueless. This is bad. The potential for Senter to make another bad hire is glaring.

Senter can’t comment for legal reasons; however Wilson can call a presser now and give a boilerplate saying that she has high expectations of UTEP athletics just like she did immediately when news reports of accreditation came up. She was pro-active within hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT