ADVERTISEMENT

EPTimes.com: Houston candidate for Big XII because UT wants land in Houston

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"The University of Texas wants to buy a big tract of land in Houston to expand its reach there and is backing the University of Houston to gain support in the legislature for the land purchase."

Article mentions UTEP going to the MWC would be a big win for UTEP since it offers a TV market, much, much better facilities than the WAC days, cheaper and closer travel and the old rivalry with Air Force, UNM and Wyoming. UNM and Wyo fans seem eager to have us back. Recruiting wise this could potentially back fire because they can now aggressively recruit El Paso right when El Paso high school football is on the rise and Kugler has now proven to all other recruiters there is a lot more talent here that can play FBS level football than what was previously known. They can now tell mom and dad, "Don't worry! Junior will be down here for you all to see play in his home town." Let us not forget that Jones chose UTEP over UNM just because the UNM recruiter didn't show up for mom's home cooking!

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...ealignment-could-mean-new-home-utep/87965578/

The UT system bought land in Houston not UT Austin. The system is building a research complex it has nothing to do with big 12 expansion.

The UT system bought land in Houston not UT Austin. The system is building a research complex it has nothing to do with big 12 expansion.

Never presume there is no linkage between politics and big money, particularly in the State of Texas. Like magic, what you see - or think you see - may have little bearing on what's going on behind stage.

This has generated major political blowback in Austin, not just from UH, but from the city and many other educational/research institutions in the area. In this case, many believe the long-term interests of the University of Texas System may/may not necessarily coincide with those of the City of Houston and the citizens of State of Texas.

Think magic...

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Never presume there is no linkage between politics and big money, particularly in the State of Texas. Like magic, what you see - or think you see - may have little bearing on what's going on behind stage.

This has generated major political blowback in Austin, not just from UH, but from the city and many other educational/research institutions in the area. In this case, many believe the long-term interests of the University of Texas System may/may not necessarily coincide with those of the City of Houston and the citizens of State of Texas.

Think magic...

Hard for folks this far in west Texas to wrap their minds around it and others who play this political game (along with the fans and groupies) feel that only their political/business interest gods can make the magic happen. Whatever?! Right?! Hey, if it benefits a greater cause and helps the public tax payer overall, then I say get the land and invite Houston in the conference. Geopolitics is a big deal for larger higher education schools because they all want to reach their tentacles in some regions to secure private, federal and state funding.

As for UTEP, just win the western conference and get the hell out of CUSA.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Hard for folks this far in west Texas to wrap their minds around it and others who play this political game (along with the fans and groupies) feel that only their political/business interest gods can make the magic happen. Whatever?! Right?! Hey, if it benefits a greater cause and helps the public tax payer overall, then I say get the land and invite Houston in the conference. Geopolitics is a big deal for larger higher education schools because they all want to reach their tentacles in some regions to secure private, federal and state funding.

As for UTEP, just win the western conference and get the hell out of CUSA.

They already bought the land at the end of last year. UH folks were nervous because they thought it was going to be UT-Houston. Its not going to be it will be a multi collaborative research center, where students from across the system can come and do internships and conduct research. It would be dumb for the UT system not to have a presence in the largest city in Texas, especially considering it is the medical and petroleum center of the world.it will be a great benefit for students from all the UT institutions. It will not intefere with UH or TSU.

Last edited:
What a shame that UTEP is selling themselves short, again. There is no reason why Arkansas st, tulane, unm, and east Carolina to name a few, are making presentations and UTEP is watching from the sidelines. That's the biggest problem with Stull at the helm. His approach is to watch things develop instead of being proactive. He is Not a leader. We are missing a great opportunity. If UTEP doesn't make it known we are looking for a new conference, nobody will be knocking on our door.

You're right, instead of dreaming big and being part of that conversation, we are waiting to see what happens so we can fill a void or eventually be the top dog of an awful conference.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
They already bought the land at the end of last year. UH folks were nervous because they thought it was going to be UT-Houston. Its not going to be it will be a multi collaborative research center, where students from across the system can come and do internships and conduct research. It would be dumb for the UT system not to have a presence in the largest city in Texas, especially considering it is the medical and petroleum center of the world.it will be a great benefit for students from all the UT institutions. It will not intefere with UH or TSU.

While I agree, that's like Ohio State opening a research center down the street from the University of Michigan. lol. Good intentions, but just a wee-bit too close for comfort. lol. But I also see the expansion of the UT brand in another market too.

There are always angles in play, seen and unseen and in this case I think there are some other ones at work here.

There is no reason why Arkansas st, tulane, unm, and east Carolina to name a few, are making presentations and UTEP is watching from the sidelines.

None of those teams will be invited by the Big 12. UTEP would be better served making presentations to the MWC and AAC. If we want UTEP to expend resources in preparing presentations for conferences that will never invite them, then it's also time to prepare presentations for the Big Ten, Pac 12, and SEC.

Reactions: MinerJo
None of those teams will be invited by the Big 12. UTEP would be better served making presentations to the MWC and AAC. If we want UTEP to expend resources in preparing presentations for conferences that will never invite them, then it's also time to prepare presentations for the Big Ten, Pac 12, and SEC.
If UTEP doesn't aim high they will remain in a mediocre conference. How do you think the MWC and AAC will look after all the good teams leave? No different than the current CUSA. The fact that those schools are making a pitch for inclusion into a major conference says a lot. It's that small time mentality that keeps UTEP and El Paso down.

I agree that UTEP has never had the mindset of moving upwards. Stull has done a good job running a fiscally responsible athletic department which is what Natalicio probably wants more than wins.

If UTEP doesn't aim high they will remain in a mediocre conference. How do you think the MWC and AAC will look after all the good teams leave? No different than the current CUSA. The fact that those schools are making a pitch for inclusion into a major conference says a lot. It's that small time mentality that keeps UTEP and El Paso down.
The way for UTEP to make themselves attractive to other conferences is to win games. It's too bad El Paso doesn't bring the TV market they're looking for.

Reactions: MinerJo
The Houston chronicle this morning is reporting that Rice will make a pitch to the big 12.

I think it is a mistake for UTEP not to make a presentation. Would we get into the big 12, absolutely not. In reality there are four serious contenders,(BYU, UC, UH and Memphis) and two darkhorses (UCF, UCONN). The other 12 schools have no chance of being in the big 12. However, by making presentations and comparing themselves to other schools, these schools can see what their shortcomings are, and address them.It would have been a good oppurtunity to UTEP to gauge their strengths and weaknesses against their peers. It would help in formulating a strategic gameplan going forward. This is a missed opportunity by the administration.

True, and what would it cost UTEP to make a presentation? Anger CUSA? Half the members of the conference make overtones every time there is a possibility of an opening in another conference. Quite frankly UTEP has more to offer than 1/2 the teams on that list. We are a top 100 TV market, have a much better combo of facilities than most, and are in a high growth area with potential. I fail to see the logic of not putting our name out there, poor chances or none, we have to look like we have ambitions, not act like we are perfectly happy standing at the end of the line.

In previous threads, I stated that CSU to B12 was a non-starter. In this era of tectonic shifts, that scenario, while still a long shot, may now not be totally off the table if they expand by four teams. CSU probably around maybe #5-6 on that list right now but lots of horse-trading and what-iffing going on - for ALL potential schools. Again, Rams still a long shot (probably competing against UConn, Memphis), but no longer a non-starter. Caveat - I am not an insider, but this is a combined "wind check" from multiple sources.

Not surprisingly, B12 is making this process a circus...

That's exactly what I said.

So is there anything that can be done about the way El Paso's TV market is defined? Can we annex any neighboring markets? (Or be annexed?)

Unfortunately no. TV market's are defined by audience (City) size, location, and that always disparaging income demographic. The issue for UTEP, IMO, is the university and what it's directors what it's athletics department want it to represent. Do they want athletics to drive enrollment and student participation, which directly feeds into community support (doesn't look that way)? Or do they want to be known simply as an academic university that just so happens to have an athletic program? Which, again, IMO, seems like the path they've chosen.

To me, they're missing the bus on what EP has to offer. First, the most advantageous thing the school has is the Sun Bowl, the basketball program history and it's location. It's just a matter of making an investment in marketing the school and it's programs. I've said before, in UTEP's case, they need to be unconventional. I often cite Oregon as an example. As much as people either love or dislike Oregon and their uni's, it was a relatively cost effective way to get kids talking about the school. If you've never been to Eugene, I'd say you probably have, but you slept right through it. It's that, uh, errr, hmmm, quaint - and I don't even know if that's a good word to describe it (South Bend is worse. It smells like hot gas station toilet water). Of course, Phil Knight money helps, but that's besides the point. No one, prior to Oregon (and Knight) making an investment in their athletic program was thinking about that school. They re-branded themselves and got people talking. UTEP and EP are in a much better position. They have an international airport they can call their own and the next biggest city in Texas is what, nine hours away? My point is they can be a small school, they just don't have to act, think, and talk like they are. The investment needs to be a joint thing between the city and the school cause both will benefit. They do that, then they won't have to go door knocking to be in another conference, the other conferences will come knocking at their door. Naturally that means winning games, but that's a matter of coaching. Football wise, I think Kugs has a really good staff right now. The goal should be coaching his players up and letting it rip this season. As for Floyd, well, I'll just do what my grandmother always said. You don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
I think it is a mistake for UTEP not to make a presentation. Would we get into the big 12, absolutely not. In reality there are four serious contenders,(BYU, UC, UH and Memphis) and two darkhorses (UCF, UCONN). The other 12 schools have no chance of being in the big 12. However, by making presentations and comparing themselves to other schools, these schools can see what their shortcomings are, and address them.It would have been a good oppurtunity to UTEP to gauge their strengths and weaknesses against their peers. It would help in formulating a strategic gameplan going forward. This is a missed opportunity by the administration.
Is it good press for the East Carolinas and New Mexicos that the national news is reporting that they are no longer under consideration? Especially being amongst the first cut?

Is it good press for the East Carolinas and New Mexicos that the national news is reporting that they are no longer under consideration? Especially being amongst the first cut?

Its certainly not bad press. Nobody thought ECU or UNM were getting in. However, this experience will benefit both schools. They both know their deficiencies and now will have strategic plans to fix them.It shows their alumni and donors they arent happy with the status quo. It will be easier to raise money. This experience will improve the future trajectorys of both programs. There is no downside.

Its certainly not bad press. Nobody thought ECU or UNM were getting in. However, this experience will benefit both schools. They both know their deficiencies and now will have strategic plans to fix them.It shows their alumni and donors they arent happy with the status quo. It will be easier to raise money. This experience will improve the future trajectorys of both programs. There is no downside.
I'm not sure. And as an outside observer, I don't think of ECU or UNM any more highly than I did before their application.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT