ADVERTISEMENT

For bowl eligibility, do JSU and SHSU count as FBS or FCS?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
They are in the process of transitioning from FCS to FBS.

Usually, only one FCS game may count towards bowl eligibility.

UTEP is already playing one FCS team in UIW (which is ranked 3rd in the preseason FCS coaches poll and will probably be one of the 4 toughest opponents UTEP faces this season).

I'm just trying to understand how many games UTEP needs to win to be eligible for a bowl game, particularly if they manage to win against all of JSU, SHSU, and UIW. Could UTEP actually require 8 wins to be bowl-eligible?

Good question. Wish I had a good answer. Let's see if the Miners can win those games first, then worry about bowl eligibility. They surely won't qualify if they lose very many of them. Go Miners.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
UTEP needs 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

SHSU and JSU aren’t eligible for bowls this year. They would only be considered if there’s not enough bowl eligible teams this year.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
UTEP needs 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

SHSU and JSU aren’t eligible for bowls this year. They would only be considered if there’s not enough bowl eligible teams this year.
UTEP needs 5 wins vs. FBS teams and 1 vs. an FCS team to be bowl eligible. NMSU got a waiver last season only needing 4 FBS wins because San Jose St. suddenly canceled a game on them.

I don't know if JSU and SHSU count as FBS teams towards UTEP's bowl eligibility. That's what I'm asking.

UTEP needs 5 wins vs. FBS teams and 1 vs. an FCS team to be bowl eligible. NMSU got a waiver last season only needing 4 FBS wins because San Jose St. suddenly canceled a game on them.

I don't know if JSU and SHSU count as FBS teams towards UTEP's bowl eligibility. That's what I'm asking.
UTEP needs 6 wins to be bowl eligible, it doesn’t matter which 6 they are.

NMSU’s issue was a special situation.

UTEP needs 6 wins to be bowl eligible, it doesn’t matter which 6 they are.

NMSU’s issue was a special situation.
Let's say that JSU and SHSU are considered FCS teams, not FBS teams by the NCAA for the purposes of bowl eligibility, and UTEP beats them and beats UIW for 3 wins. Then they beat 3 FBS teams on their schedule for a total of 6 wins. Then UTEP would NOT be bowl eligible because only a maximum of 1 FCS team may be counted towards the 6 wins. So in that situation, you would be wrong.

“A team that has a losing record only because it lost its conference championship game remains eligible for a bowl.“

I didn’t know that?

Let's say that JSU and SHSU are considered FCS teams, not FBS teams by the NCAA for the purposes of bowl eligibility, and UTEP beats them and beats UIW for 3 wins. Then they beat 3 FBS teams on their schedule for a total of 6 wins. Then UTEP would NOT be bowl eligible because only a maximum of 1 FCS team may be counted towards the 6 wins. So in that situation, you would be wrong.
They are not FCS teams like UIW though. They are CUSA teams in the second year of their transitions. UTEP did not schedule them like they did UIW. They won’t be punished for such.

Reactions: Dmanminer
They are not counted as FCS, they will be counted as FBS. Since they are transitioning FBS programs. They are just not eligible to be ranked, nor a bowl game. Not the other way around.

In 2012 Georgia Tech out of the ACC lost in the championship game of the ACC and ended up with a 6-7 record. They got an exemption to play in the Sun Bowl. They beat USC to end up 7-7. That's the game where the USC players got into a fight in the locker room after the game. One reason the Sun Bowl doesn't want USC to play here anymore.
Whatever the eligibility of Jacksonville State and Sam Houston for postseason, if we don't beat them we won't be going Bowling.

In 2012 Georgia Tech out of the ACC lost in the championship game of the ACC and ended up with a 6-7 record. They got an exemption to play in the Sun Bowl. They beat USC to end up 7-7. That's the game where the USC players got into a fight in the locker room after the game. One reason the Sun Bowl doesn't want USC to play here anymore.
Whatever the eligibility of Jacksonville State and Sam Houston for postseason, if we don't beat them we won't be going Bowling.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/16/3882562/usc-players-fight-sun-bowl

"USC's trip to the Sun Bowl was nothing short of a mess before the fight occurred. The team showed up over 90 minutes late to dinner with Georgia Tech, and players were forced to apologize for disparaging marks made about the host city, El Paso, Texas."

You completely out thunk yourself on this one brotha lol The two schools in CUSA 100% count as FBS wins, Period!

With this team, I wouldn't count any game as a "win" until it has been played and won.
That's not what I meant or said lol I was replying to the fact that it was asked if UTEP won those would it count as an FCS or FBS win. I meant those 2 would be considered FBS wins.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
“ 2023 marks a year of change for the Sam Houston football program with the Bearkats beginning their first year as an FBS program and member of Conference USA.”

They are a transitioning FBS program that can't participate in the postseason. This being their first year of transition, I'm not sure if they're already awarding the full FBS complement of scholarships. I don't know if the NCAA considers a "transitioning" FBS team to be a full FBS win.

They are a transitioning FBS program that can't participate in the postseason. This being their first year of transition, I'm not sure if they're already awarding the full FBS complement of scholarships. I don't know if the NCAA considers a "transitioning" FBS team to be a full FBS win.
It’s 2 years of transitioning. Last year was their first. It will count as a FBS win. UTEP only needs 6 wins to qualify for a bowl. It doesn’t matter which 6 they are.

Kennesaw joins next year, so this season is their 1st year of transition and they will count as a FBS win next year when they join.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It’s 2 years of transitioning. Last year was their first. It will count as a FBS win. UTEP only needs 6 wins to qualify for a bowl. It doesn’t matter which 6 they are.

Kennesaw joins next year, so this season is their 1st year of transition and they will count as a FBS win next year when they join.
The NCAA has some funny rules about which teams count for eligibility. Most FCS teams can count for 1 win, but Ivy and Patriot League schools (which are FCS) would not count because they don't offer athletic scholarships. FCS schools on an individual basis might not count if their scholarships drop below a certain number for a given year. Number of scholarships seems to be an important criterion (FCS schools are allowed fewer) and I don't know if a "transitioning" FBS school is yet awarding the full complement of FBS scholarships. So yes, I think it's a fair question to ask. I know you are asserting that 6 wins, any 6 wins is all that's needed, but I'm asking for the proof.

Bro it's already been clarified you got your answer, they count as FBS wins if UTEP were to win those lol
Because you and NoWins say so doesn't satisfy the burden of proof for me. The best proof is the link that I myself provided above (a story from the NCAA's site that calls JSU and SHSU FBS teams).

Reactions: EPUTEP
Because you and NoWins say so doesn't satisfy the burden of proof for me. The best proof is the link that I myself provided above (a story from the NCAA's site that calls JSU and SHSU FBS teams).

I think it was a fair question. And I agree, I like proof as well.

This is why there are many uninformed people. They think everything they read is true and they don't do their research.

There was a dumbass on here who stated the average person in El Paso makes over $50,000 because he read it online. LOL

Reactions: FeralFelidae
The NCAA has some funny rules about which teams count for eligibility. Most FCS teams can count for 1 win, but Ivy and Patriot League schools (which are FCS) would not count because they don't offer athletic scholarships. FCS schools on an individual basis might not count if their scholarships drop below a certain number for a given year. Number of scholarships seems to be an important criterion (FCS schools are allowed fewer) and I don't know if a "transitioning" FBS school is yet awarding the full complement of FBS scholarships. So yes, I think it's a fair question to ask. I know you are asserting that 6 wins, any 6 wins is all that's needed, but I'm asking for the proof.
I will bet you $2000 that if UTEP wins enough games to be bowl eligible, they won’t be left out because 3 of the wins came from UIW, Sam, and Jax. It’s a non issue.

Reactions: Dmanminer
You wear the same t-shirt 30 times a year. Do you even have $2,000?
There’s 365 days in a year. I don’t wear my work clothes all day like you seem to do. Do you even have $2000? Since you wear the same shirt before work, during work, and after work?

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP
There’s 365 days in a year. I don’t wear my work clothes all day like you seem to do. Do you even have $2000? Since you wear the same shirt before work, during work, and after work?

I don't wear the same shirt 30 times a year.

Why would I wear a shirt before work? I wake up, get ready, and put my work clothes on.

I have a good sum of money saved because I don't waste $36 on t-shirts like you do.

I don't wear the same shirt 30 times a year.

Why would I wear a shirt before work? I wake up, get ready, and put my work clothes on.

I have a good sum of money saved because I don't waste $36 on t-shirts like you do.

This little exchange is fun. I'm going to jump into the fray.

I work from home. I can afford a few $36 t-shirts. Still, I wear some t-shirts 3 times in a week because, well, I work from home. So unless I have to be on a video call I wear whatever I want and I often wear the same t-shirt again so that there's less laundry to wash. Also, I don't stink.

This little exchange is fun. I'm going to jump into the fray.

I work from home. I can afford a few $36 t-shirts. Still, I wear some t-shirts 3 times in a week because, well, I work from home. So unless I have to be on a video call I wear whatever I want and I often wear the same t-shirt again so that there's less laundry to wash. Also, I don't stink.

Congratulations!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT