ADVERTISEMENT

Get that arena up ASAP!

The Coliseum is actually decent now though. At 6K seats, serves a purpose. I definitely wouldn’t want the Coliseum demolished.
Location, refurbished, all new air conditioning, roofing, etc the last few years and we can not forget our equestrian and rodeo sports participators and fans and other animal exhibitions, too. I agree.

Also need to get citizens involved after all 68% of us voted for this. We should not be held hostage by a few who oppose the arena or didn't care enough to vote, or voted it down. Public pressure can be a powerful tool just as a distant millionaire or a cadre of lawyers.
Now if someone would step up and organize this effort that would be great. This city needs a Grossman on the end of this fight. A credible business person on the other end could really help our cause.

Paying the city's legal fees will be pocket change for the billionaire. Grossman and company are just buying time so the arena's price tag keeps exceeding the proposed 180 million $$$. In a year or two , where is the city going to get the money when the price tag is now like 200 million to build the arena??? No way the voters are going to approve a tax hike to cover the difference with the way this arena crap has played out.

You’re probably right.

I think Grossman would fight this even if we built this East of Horizon or West of Canutillo. He likes being like this. He thinks he's some "fight the power" guy. He's just a nerd who has made El Paso a worse place to live.

Reactions: NYCMiner
I think Grossman would fight this even if we built this East of Horizon or West of Canutillo. He likes being like this. He thinks he's some "fight the power" guy. He's just a nerd who has made El Paso a worse place to live.

Yeah if it weren’t for him we might have a hockey team or GLeague team that people won’t care about and a few more Tejano concerts. El Paso is worse off for not having these great events!

It seems like your only purpose on this board is to defend Grossman.

I am not defending him. I don’t think the arena is a good idea, but I think Durangito should be torn down. The longer it drags out, the worse the arena will be or the city will try and sucker more money out of the tax payers. Then they will run into issues and asks for more money or come in way over budget.

To think that the hottest acts in the country are going to magically come to a new 10,000 seat arena (gets smaller every year) here, is delusional. Building an arena to occasionally host a small UFC or Boxing card is dumb. Building an arena to have minor league hockey or basketball is dumb.

Grossman is equally as dumb thinking that people from around the world are going to visit El Paso to see whatever he thinks he might have there. I’m not pro-Grossman, I’m just anti-arena. Especially downtown. Building it in Far East El Paso would be way better. You know, because that’s where most of the city lives.

I am not defending him. I don’t think the arena is a good idea, but I think Durangito should be torn down. The longer it drags out, the worse the arena will be or the city will try and sucker more money out of the tax payers. Then they will run into issues and asks for more money or come in way over budget.

To think that the hottest acts in the country are going to magically come to a new 10,000 seat arena (gets smaller every year) here, is delusional. Building an arena to occasionally host a small UFC or Boxing card is dumb. Building an arena to have minor league hockey or basketball is dumb.

Grossman is equally as dumb thinking that people from around the world are going to visit El Paso to see whatever he thinks he might have there. I’m not pro-Grossman, I’m just anti-arena. Especially downtown. Building it in Far East El Paso would be way better. You know, because that’s where most of the city lives.
No one ever said it's 10,000 dude. You just made that up. It has already been said it will be over 13,000. Do your research.

No one ever said it's 10,000 dude. You just made that up. It has already been said it will be over 13,000. Do your research.

When is construction starting on the arena? How is the city handling the fact that 180m in 2013, doesn’t get you the same now?

Funny how some thought building a baseball stadium in downtown was dumb too.

Reactions: minermx07
Funny how some thought building a baseball stadium in downtown was dumb too.

Some did and there’s still some question around it. The Chihuahuas have been highly successful, but even now you see half empty games for the Chihuahuas and Locomotive. And that’s when they’re winning. What are the crowds going to be like when they start losing? In 15 years, the Padres or whomever are going to come crying for a new stadium and blah blah, and we’ll start this crap all over again.

When is construction starting on the arena? How is the city handling the fact that 180m in 2013, doesn’t get you the same now?
If it gets built, obviously it will require probably another 50 million. The city has never said or at any point intended on a 10,000 seat arena. The minimum again, IF it gets built would be 12,700 with the ability to have more for concerts.

If it gets built, obviously it will require probably another 50 million. The city has never said or at any point intended on a 10,000 seat arena. The minimum again, IF it gets built would be 12,700 with the ability to have more for concerts.

And you think taxpayers are just going to handover $50m just like that? Nobody trusts the city to do anything right, on time, or within budget. There is no way El Paso is giving those buffoons 50m, so they can mess it up

Don’t be expecting a high school level science project, we’re going to end up with a 4th graders science project

Some did and there’s still some question around it. The Chihuahuas have been highly successful, but even now you see half empty games for the Chihuahuas and Locomotive. And that’s when they’re winning. What are the crowds going to be like when they start losing? In 15 years, the Padres or whomever are going to come crying for a new stadium and blah blah, and we’ll start this crap all over again.
Cool, you're against stadiums and democracy. People voted for it. We've seen dozens of cities improve their quality of life by creating an entertainment district.

Smart cities put their stadiums and arenas downtown.

Reactions: axingfools1 and Rot
And you think taxpayers are just going to handover $50m just like that? Nobody trusts the city to do anything right, on time, or within budget. There is no way El Paso is giving those buffoons 50m, so they can mess it up
The same taxpayers gave them 180 million and some jerks decided to nullify the people's vote by making up stories of Pancho Villa, Mescalero Indians, etc.

Reactions: Rot
The same taxpayers gave them 180 million and some jerks decided to nullify the people's vote by making up stories of Pancho Villa, Mescalero Indians, etc.

How’s that working out for everyone? “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”

Any new vote regarding the downtown arena will be shot down so quick, it will make your head spin.

Cool, you're against stadiums and democracy. People voted for it. We've seen dozens of cities improve their quality of life by creating an entertainment district.

I’m not against stadiums and I voted in favor of SUP and the arena. Since then, my stance has changed. I would vote down any new taxpayer funded stadium, especially for the Locomotive or minor league team.

The Locomotive ownership can afford to build their own stadium for 20 dates a year. If a private business wants to build an arena, I am all for that as well.

Don’t be expecting a high school level science project, we’re going to end up with a 4th graders science project

El Paso voters have a record of voting for quality of life projects recently for the city and the school districts. I am not sure if they’re informed about what they’re voting for or if they’re just voting “yes” but I have helped campaign during the last couple of election cycles. And if you’ve ever had jury duty you know all those morons who waste everyone’s time with dumb questions and answers are the same people voting on these issues.

Yup. Not always but yes. The fact of the matter is to bring revenue downtown. You have your higher cost per sq. ft. downtown and create a lesser burden on residential taxpayers generally speaking.

Look up in the yellow pages of any property tax rep in EP. Many of them do work throughout the country and they will tell you EP is about in the middle for property taxes; not the lowest, but no the highest.

Point is no one said they'd build a 10,000 seat arena that would be pointless. If it gets built it'll be larger, and as I said right now that's a Big IF!

I have heard from a pretty good source that the city wants a soccer stadium for the Locos within 3 years and that the Coliseum may be done. In regards to the arena they feel this is likely the last injunction hurdle. Just passing along the info.

I have heard from a pretty good source that the city wants a soccer stadium for the Locos within 3 years and that the Coliseum may be done. In regards to the arena they feel this is likely the last injunction hurdle. Just passing along the info.
Those heavy metal concerts will always have a special place in my heart. Saw Iron Maiden Powerslave concert at The Barn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT